Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:38 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
ok, I don't know what NDA stands for. And I'm a little worried about giving the exact dollar amount I am making on my current temp job. It's embarassingly low. So I would rather not tell them. I may say something like, "I believe my current salary is below industry norms, is there a range that this position is in line with?" I suppose if they still demand an exact figure on my current job, I may just have to tell them, still not sure?

How does that sound? Try to turn in back on the interviewer? Should I expect them to give this range during the initial phone interview?
Non-disclosure agreement.

If they ask you your salary, then all bets are off, you can ask them their salary offer. Or better, you can tell them what you're looking for, without necessarily disclosing your current pay rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:49 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
what do you mean by "all bets are off"? Do you mean I have to tell them the dollar figure if they ask directly? Or I don't have to and turn my answer into a question about their salary? Please clarify!

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Non-disclosure agreement.

If they ask you your salary, then all bets are off, you can ask them their salary offer. Or better, you can tell them what you're looking for, without necessarily disclosing your current pay rate.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
what do you mean by "all bets are off"? Do you mean I have to tell them the dollar figure if they ask directly? Or I don't have to and turn my answer into a question about their salary? Please clarify!

thanks!
I meant if they broach the subject of salary, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable asking a salary question of your own.

In answer to your questions, no the first one, yes to the second one.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:56 AM

ok, so I won't tell them, just try to divert by saying it's not in line with industry norms and then ask them the range for the position.

It's coming up in about an hour, wish me luck! I'm nervous!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:12 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
Quote:

I disagree with the admin assistant comment. Some of our AAs here, the exec ones to be specific, have access to or even handle lots of high-level files for the bigwigs. Definitely NDA territory.
I hear you. I was speaking in terms of non-Executive admin/general office type jobs.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM

OMG!!! So I just had the phone interview, man, it was kind of tough. None of the questions I rehearsed were asked! And they didn't even ask about salary at all, which in a way bothered me, but then I was relieved I didn't have to struggle with an answer.
There were some pauses after my answers where I thought they (i was on speaker phone with 2 people) were thinking "what the heck did she just say?"
But I just persevered through the silence and waited for their next question. The dept. manager said she would get back to me next with a decision, so now I wait!
I want to do a follow up call to thank her again for speaking to me, since I don't have an email address for her, I can just leave a voicemail, is this acceptable? I did express my appreciation to both the interviewers, so I hope that resonates with them.
I wish I could rewind, but oh well!! I'll just keep my fingers crossed! (Let's hope this is my last interview for a long time! he he!)

Old 04-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
OMG!!! So I just had the phone interview, man, it was kind of tough. None of the questions I rehearsed were asked! And they didn't even ask about salary at all, which in a way bothered me, but then I was relieved I didn't have to struggle with an answer.
There were some pauses after my answers where I thought they (i was on speaker phone with 2 people) were thinking "what the heck did she just say?"
But I just persevered through the silence and waited for their next question. The dept. manager said she would get back to me next with a decision, so now I wait!
I want to do a follow up call to thank her again for speaking to me, since I don't have an email address for her, I can just leave a voicemail, is this acceptable? I did express my appreciation to both the interviewers, so I hope that resonates with them.
I wish I could rewind, but oh well!! I'll just keep my fingers crossed! (Let's hope this is my last interview for a long time! he he!)
Don't overthink it! The long pauses are probably due to the interviewers writing notes. Believe me, I've learned it's OK to be comfortable with silences in interviews, sometime you say too much off the cuff and later wish you didn't say so much.

It's OK to call them back to thank them. However, I wouldn't leave voicemail, better to get them on the line. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks!!

Quote:
Don't overthink it! The long pauses are probably due to the interviewers writing notes. Believe me, I've learned it's OK to be comfortable with silences in interviews, sometime you say too much off the cuff and later wish you didn't say so much.

It's OK to call them back to thank them. However, I wouldn't leave voicemail, better to get them on the line. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2011, 04:55 PM

275 posts, read 743,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
kind of piggy backing off of this thread. I had a phone interview last week and they asked me what the minimum salary I would take to consider working there was. When I gave them my minimum (assuming I am offered a position) have I anchored the start of the negotiations around that minimum? Or were they just looking to see if my minimum was within the range they had budgeted for the position?

I would think you more or less gave them your number(what you are asking for). For me the question "What your minimum is?" is almost the same you would ask "What color?" without further details or hints. I have got a call from someone recently and it was, like this:

Potential Employer: We have two office positions open, one in NJ/NY area, second in ND(?). What's your salary requirements are?
Me: What kind of positions, what their titles are?
Potential Employer: Those are regular office positions, you'll fit...
Me: Could you tell me what responsibilities we are talking about?
Potential Employer: Just give me the number you can live on.
Me: I need to know what benefits you have and a little bit more about positions. It is quite different to compare NJ/NY and ND...
Potential Employer: Can't you just give me the number?

The question is good, they would like to save time by not discussing position with someone, who is out of the salary range they established, but we all know guys(well, we've heard about them), who's salaries are $1.00 per year and who's compensation package is similar to winning the small lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment