Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,465,734 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- It's still only a trickle compared to the flood of jobs that America lost to overseas outsourcing in recent decades. But some American businesses are bringing jobs home again.

Made in USA: Companies bringing overseas jobs home - Jun. 17, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 08:58 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,134,145 times
Great article. Thanks for posting it.
In my city of El Paso, TX, we lost most of the manufacturing jobs in the late 90s due to NAFTA, but in recent years, we've gotten lots of customer service call centers.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 AM

29,687 posts, read 24,743,717 times
I have been seeing the work coming back for the past 6 months. Companies thought they would make big profits on cheap, overseas labor. What they don't realize is, in my line of work of manufacturing, we Americans take quality very seriously. Our work is our pride. In other countries, manufacturing is not a career, it's something you do until something better comes along. Of course, quality means nothing to them, and why should it when you make 50 cents a day?

These stupid corporations got their asses handed to them, and I hope they learned. They did not meet their profit expectations because labor is only a small part of the equation. When 50% of the work is scrap, you don't make a profit. When the cheap Chinese steel is rejected by the customer because it wasn't the specified grade, all the work must be scraped and the corporation looses. When it takes damn near 2 months to get the work done, and then you find out it is mostly scrap, and you paid big bucks to have it shipped to you, the corporation looses BIG TIME. The Chinese are good at some manufacturing, but they have a long way to go in others.

As of late, the shop I work at cannot handle all the work, so new machines are being bought and new people are being hired. Since so many shops have closed down over the past decade, there are not enough places to handle the work volume. These corporations want the work done here again, but they made this a very undesirable profession in the eyes of young people, which is why many will not take up the trades. So they made their bed, and they will have to sleep in it for awhile. Not to mention they crippled the purchasing power of a ton of their previous customers.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 AM

330 posts, read 597,915 times
Some jobs are coming back, but these new factories will be far more automated. Great news for the robot population, or those who learn how to fix, or program robots.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
Some jobs are coming back, but these new factories will be far more automated. Great news for the robot population, or those who learn how to fix, or program robots.
This is true, which is why manufacturing will never employ scores of people as it once did. You still need people to operate and maintain much of the automated equipment, and those people can go on to programming and setup jobs as they become more proficient. That means better wages down the road for people who stick it out. You also need material handlers, shipping/receiving, engineers, quality control, management, toilet cleaners, floor sweepers... I see these jobs returning as a blessing for everyone.

The thing that I love about manufacturing is... A young man, or woman, can start at the bottom with little education and rise to a very respected, high skill, knowledge intensive job with the right motivation and commitment. Loosing these jobs will keep people without the privilege of higher education stuck on the bottom rung of society for life. Doesn't sound like the land of opportunity to me without it.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,856,366 times
The quality of work suffered when it went overseas. Too many complaints which probably resulted in a decrease of their consumer base.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,835,433 times
Certainly good news, but I wonder how much of it is due to a lower dollar.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 AM

18,657 posts, read 33,258,064 times
I certainly have hoped that rising fuel costs will make it more reasonable to make stuff right here in the U.S., and not schlep it halfway around the world. That would probably apply more to big stuff than little knick-knacks and all.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,632,648 times
It seems everyone is jumping on the Return to the USA when they read these stories and assume that jobs will be returning in a big way. But what about posting the jobs that are sent overseas? For evry ONE job that returns, I bet TEN jobs went by-by!

When i first started working the majority of the goods shipped overseas were US products with US brands that were in high demand. Most of what we shipped from asia was cheap trinkets. Somweher in between, we started shipping less US products because we were shipping the machines and equipment to make those US brand products overseas. Now we are shipping mostly fast-track office relaocations (an entire companies back office moving overnight to overseas) and shipping to the USA items that have major US brand names.

Jobs will come back but they will not balance the number that are lost. Don;t be so proud of the 100 jobs that returned because they originally shipped 1,000 jobs overseas. When tnose other 900 return, thats when the celebration should start. Oh and don;t forget that for every job they return they may still be shipping other jobs in other areas of the company overseas.

For me, it's not big deal, the more US jobs shipped overseas, the more money I make and the more secure my job is.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
It seems everyone is jumping on the Return to the USA when they read these stories and assume that jobs will be returning in a big way. But what about posting the jobs that are sent overseas? For evry ONE job that returns, I bet TEN jobs went by-by!

When i first started working the majority of the goods shipped overseas were US products with US brands that were in high demand. Most of what we shipped from asia was cheap trinkets. Somweher in between, we started shipping less US products because we were shipping the machines and equipment to make those US brand products overseas. Now we are shipping mostly fast-track office relaocations (an entire companies back office moving overnight to overseas) and shipping to the USA items that have major US brand names.

Jobs will come back but they will not balance the number that are lost. Don;t be so proud of the 100 jobs that returned because they originally shipped 1,000 jobs overseas. When tnose other 900 return, thats when the celebration should start. Oh and don;t forget that for every job they return they may still be shipping other jobs in other areas of the company overseas.

For me, it's not big deal, the more US jobs shipped overseas, the more money I make and the more secure my job is.
Many of those jobs that you speak of are simply not needed anywhere anymore. Technology has replaced many of the jobs from even 10 years ago. When one machine can do the work that it used to take 100 people to do, your going to see a big impact, much like we have.

The smart people who want to continue doing the work will keep their skills up to date. There are many unemployed manufacturing workers who can no longer work because their skills are useless now. Some of these people expected the employer to foot the bill to teach them new skills. That's not the way it works anymore. Workers have to be willing and eager to stay on the cutting edge of new developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment