Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

My family recently took in a young adult who turned 18 a month ago and is finishing his senior year of high school. He has been homeless for 5 months. We decided to allow him to live with us because we believe this is the only chance he will have to continue his education and become a productive member of society. He's a nice kid and very personable.

He's not academically gifted, but an amazing artist. He is interested in attending an art school for graphic design, not multi media graphic design, the old fashioned graphic design. I'm worried because I don't think this route will provide him with a living. He's not self motivated so he's very unlikely to be "an artist" who creates art on his own and sells it.

The employment demand for graphic designers is in multimedia graphic design---web design, etc. Unfortunately, I don't see him enjoying computer programs that involve text base design (like pagemaker, adobe, etc. etc. etc.) And I don't see him grasping programming skills needed for game design either.

I hate to discourage a talent but I'm thinking he would be better suited for a trade (pluming, HVAC, electrical) or perhaps drafting.

Does anyone have any ideas that will allow him to earn a modest living that he can support himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
How kind-hearted and generous you are! Thanks for doing this wonderful thing for this teen. Does the school counselor's office have any vocational testing they can offer? I remember when I was a teen I took a vocational aptitude test and I had high scores for mechanical ability. My family and friends thought that was a hoot and we shared many laughs at the time. Fast forward 40 years and I have had a great second career in property rehabbing and I enjoy doing lots of the manual work myself. I often regret I didn't take coursework in plumbing and electrical......

Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Truck driver or factory work?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,698 times
First off, I applaud you for your kindness. That's very nice of you to do such a great thing for him. Hopefully, he will come to realize what you have done for him.

It doesn't sound like he's college material from your description. As a result, trade school would probably be his best bet. Given his knack for art and creative design, I'm thinking CAD drafting would be a nice choice. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the state of the CAD labor market. Maybe another thread dedicated to that topic?

Graphic design would be good, too, if the market wasn't so flooded. I know several graphic designers. It's pretty tough to make a living in the field, especially for beginners. They do get a lot of cool perks like free swag from clients, laid back environment (shorts, tees, and flip flops).

Maybe he could get into the home improvement business. My uncle, who's an artist in his spare time, subcontracts for home improvement companies for income. From what I hear, he still very much uses his creative talents in his work.

Auto body work comes to mind. I guess there's a certain art to that type of work.

Other than that, all I can say is that he should learn any trade that he doesn't hate to make a living, and worry about the art stuff on the side. Perhaps he can use his talents to supplement his regular income. Best of luck to him in whatever he ends up doing.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
How kind-hearted and generous you are! Thanks for doing this wonderful thing for this teen. Does the school counselor's office have any vocational testing they can offer? I remember when I was a teen I took a vocational aptitude test and I had high scores for mechanical ability. My family and friends thought that was a hoot and we shared many laughs at the time. Fast forward 40 years and I have had a great second career in property rehabbing and I enjoy doing lots of the manual work myself. I often regret I didn't take coursework in plumbing and electrical......
Thanks! I'm working closely with the guidance counselor on so many other things.

So your gut is a trade? He is good at fixing cars. I guess he gets his from his father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Truck driver or factory work?
He's too young for truck driving. I just don't see him doing it at this point in his life. He's going to have to grow up a lot more first.

Unfortunately, we don't have much manufacturing in the Pittsburgh area. What little there is doesn't pay.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Given his knack for art and creative design, I'm thinking CAD drafting would be a nice choice. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the state of the CAD labor market.
I think drafting is a great option. I'm planning to take him for some field trips to workplaces and the trade schools to get a feel for what they do.

Quote:
Maybe he could get into the home improvement business. My uncle, who's an artist in his spare time, subcontracts for home improvement companies for income. From what I hear, he still very much uses his creative talents in his work.
At this point in his life, he's the type of person who needs a boss. He can't go the self employment route.

Quote:
Auto body work comes to mind. I guess there's a certain art to that type of work.
I was thinking about that. People still get custom paint jobs, etc.

Quote:
Other than that, all I can say is that he should learn a trade to make a living, and worry about the art stuff on the side. Perhaps he can use his talents to supplement his regular income. Best of luck to him in whatever he ends up doing.
I'm thinking a trade of some sort is the best path for him too.

Oh, he wants to be a tatoo artist. The major problem with that is apprentiships cost money and don't qualify for grants and student loans.

I wish there was a way for him to pursue it.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Oh, he wants to be a tatoo artist. The major problem with that is apprentiships cost money and don't qualify for grants and student loans.

I wish there was a way for him to pursue it.
Do you absolutely need an apprenticeship to become a tattoo artist? I don't know anything about that field, but it would see that you could just build up a client list by word of mouth and have a portfolio of your work to show actual tattoo shops. My cousin is a tattoo artist and I don't think he did anything formal to become one.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
My nephew just got his ASE certification and he can make a decent living as an auto mechanic. I have clients that hire diesel mechanics for their trucks and also Mechanic Technicians to work on factory equipment .... they earn about $14+ ph to start ...with full health insurance and all other company benefits; after about 10 years experience, they are making $22-25ph and work 40+ hours per week.... of course in this economy jobs have been scarce... but in 2011 57% of manufacturing companies say they will be hiring so things should be improving.

Here's info in being certified in being an automotive mechanic:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos181.htm

Old 04-06-2011, 08:32 PM

7 posts, read 14,339 times
It sounds like he'd do really well in a print shop and they often hire interns. Some do printed materials like business cards/brochures and others print things like tshirts or promotional items. Some of the jobs are computer-based, but others involve actually operating the presses, which could be fun and interesting for him. See if any nearby community colleges have design/print classes; apart from the training, the classes are often taught by people with local business connections and good real-world experience. If he wants to go to art school, it will also give him a chance to develop a portfolio, references and possibly save money by transferring credits.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125 View Post
It sounds like he'd do really well in a print shop and they often hire interns. Some do printed materials like business cards/brochures and others print things like tshirts or promotional items. Some of the jobs are computer-based, but others involve actually operating the presses, which could be fun and interesting for him. See if any nearby community colleges have design/print classes; apart from the training, the classes are often taught by people with local business connections and good real-world experience. If he wants to go to art school, it will also give him a chance to develop a portfolio, references and possibly save money by transferring credits.
I did a little internship at a print shop and I have to say they never used the press. Almost everything was done on a printer. I don't think they actually had a press. That might just be the place I was at, I don't know.

Hopes, has he considered welding? I know someone who didn't want to do college or anything like that and went to trade school for welding and makes a really good living.

Plumbing is good too also pipe fitting. Though both my grandfathers where so I might be a little partial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment