Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I guess we can say that they both make more than the guy slinging boxes for a living. LOL
But of course they're not doing "real" work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 04:58 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,595,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
  • Trade jobs with your office's security officer (guy that checks badges, etc) for double your salary?
  • Clean the bathrooms (janitor) for double your salary?
  • Rake the company grounds of leaves, operate the lawn machinery, the company landscaper for double your salary?
  • Work 3rd shift (same job as you have now) for double your salary?
Got to get this thread back on the tracks before the mods can it.

I don't think I answered my own thread.

I'd say no to all now (I'm 49), but I'd say yes to all but 3rd shift if I was a couple years away from retirement (which for me with four girls under 12 will be in about 40 years). I'd hate 3rd shift and I wouldn't do it for double my current pay.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,852,153 times
Yes, to all. I'm not better than someone doing manual labor. 200+k for checking badges or cleaning the john...easy money.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,423,185 times
I suppose I should get around to answering the original question as well. I would actually say no to all three because I would be bored. Over a certain level of financial security, I prefer to do non-repetitive intellectual work if given the choice as I find it to be much more engaging. I'm also happy with my income level and my job, and I think I have the opportunity for continued upward potential. I've been in situations before where I was pulling in the nice white collar salary, yet the work I was doing was very routine and low visibility...and I found it to be surprisingly depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment