Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
  • Trade jobs with your office's security officer (guy that checks badges, etc) for double your salary? NO
  • Clean the bathrooms (janitor) for double your salary? NO
  • Rake the company grounds of leaves, operate the lawn machinery, the company landscaper for double your salary? NO
  • Work 3rd shift (same job as you have now) for double your salary? NO
It's not always about the money.
I think some people are chosing YES for less stress aspect, not the more money aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 04:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
an employer is not going to pay anyone more money for these non-skilled jobs. They are low-pay because there is an infinte number of people qualified to to them.

You're 100% correct.

Too bad your post is 100% irrelevant to the thread.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Given that I am not white-collar, do not make six figures (I have a couple of times but that was a long time ago dang it) and am self-employed....

My answer would probably be "yes" to all of the above.
But, it would probably depend on what I was currently doing in the hypothetical six-figure job. If I truly found it meaningful and satisfying, perhaps not.

I'm in a skilled trade, so not white-collar prestigious in any way... but I love what I do and am very good at it. I think I might rebel after a year of checking IDs and cleaning toilets, even for much better money than I make now.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
  • Trade jobs with your office's security officer (guy that checks badges, etc) for double your salary?
  • Clean the bathrooms (janitor) for double your salary?
  • Rake the company grounds of leaves, operate the lawn machinery, the company landscaper for double your salary?
  • Work 3rd shift (same job as you have now) for double your salary?
I would keep my job. Here is why. I love what I do and am good at it. In the scenario I am allready being paid 6 figures so would be doing good there financially. What it comes down to is once your financial basis are covered and you have extra money in your pocket then increasing your income for something that you don't want to do doesn't seem as appealing. Then again I would work 3rd shift if the kids were grown up and I could still do the same thing I am doing.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:56 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think some people are chosing YES for less stress aspect, not the more money aspect.
I think most people said yes based on the "double your salary" aspect of the question.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
I think most people said yes based on the "double your salary" aspect of the question.
I did!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:54 PM

99 posts, read 375,540 times
I would cheat on your question

I'd go ahead and do any of those jobs you mentioned, pocket the doubled salary, and then write about the experience. I'd end up receiving the doubled salary and also whatever revenue that came in from the book deal and later the movie rights.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,472 times
  • Trade jobs with your office's security officer (guy that checks badges, etc) for double your salary? Did it for 10 years
  • Clean the bathrooms (janitor) for double your salary? Did it for 6 months
  • Rake the company grounds of leaves, operate the lawn machinery, the company landscaper for double your salary? Did it for a summer in HS
  • Work 3rd shift (same job as you have now) for double your salary? doing it right now in Iraq.

I would go back to any of them for double my salary in a heartbeat. (that would have to come with some job security though) The active duty I am doing right now on night shift (military works 12 hour shifts) is damn near triple my salary what I make at the VA, so I am living your question right now!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:43 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
Quote:
Bingo!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:46 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristan View Post
I would cheat on your question

I'd go ahead and do any of those jobs you mentioned, pocket the doubled salary, and then write about the experience. I'd end up receiving the doubled salary and also whatever revenue that came in from the book deal and later the movie rights.

Huh? Why do you think any of these jobs would hold anyone's interest from a book or movie? Sounds like you've never worked and writing about tedious and dull jobs would hold no one's interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment