Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 AM

629 posts, read 1,232,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I don't think this is bad advice.

The thing with message boards is that we hear one side of the story. I have rarely worked at places where management is COMPLETELY unreasonable. I worked with a lady I used to refer to as Frau Hitler-- but even then I was pretty certain that I would not be getting fired-- she was just a horribly aggressive manager and it was fairly easy to know where you stood-- (if you were late 2 minutes, you would be written up regardless if you were in a car accident or if your car would not start-- it was pretty obvious).

I stated and quoted what the poster had originally wrote-- and then the OP responded with the reasons why those things happened. If taken at face value- yeah it seems like management is completely unreasonable, but there is also a chance that the OP has no clue what is really annoying management or where his performance is just not up to their expectations. The only way to find out is to have a dialogue.

I tend to be pretty skeptical-- I have been on both sides of the management spectrum. I have had employees who no matter how much coaching was done they were still shocked that they were not the hero at review time. They had a complete inability to actually see the reality of their performance. Thank God-- those types tended to be the ones in smaller supply.
This is actually great advice and the first thing I tried. When she told me I'm not speaking the reasonable amount I asked what would be a reasonable amount of talking? She said nothing that doesn't have to do with work. I obliged. When she accused me of talking again I told her I was not talking I was just standing next to another employee. She told me if it looks like your talking on the cameras that's how HR will interpret it. When the regional spoke to me a few months later about my second write up I told him what actually happened and that my actions were only percieved in a different way. He told me perception is what matters and even called me a poor performer. This to me means it doesn't matter what I say, if my managers believe I'm doing things a certain way it doesn't matter the reason. It only matters how others view it. They were angry because I didn't say "yes, sir I was talking. I'm sorry" because I WASN'T talking. I've succesfully alienated myself from my coworkers by not saying a word unless it was work related. After my second write up I made sure to not do anything that can even be "percieved" by others as negative behavior. I asked them what I needed to do to get back in good standing they simply said do better and pushed me back to work. No follow up plan no counseling. Just your an idiot, stop being an idiot, go back to work. Over time I've come to the conclusion that they are not reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,396,303 times
Post well then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
I'm already looking for a new job, which sucks because I was payed well here. My performance is not being evaluated fairly. I've been perfect for three months. I think they didn't expect this and thought I would've made my final mistake months ago. Looks like they want to make sure when i get fired I can't complain to HR about unfair treatement and being singled out.
Since you actually do have a Human Resources department I would certainly take a 'copy' to them and ask 'what's up' and 'when are you planning on letting me go so I can have my Unemployment Benefits ready to roll' and 'I would also like a copy of my complete employment file for my records. Maybe HR needs a little insight as to this dept managers conduct. I would move on as quickly as possible. This is not a good place for anyone to be.
Koale

Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 PM

Lightbulb So...

Quote:
I've already started looking for a new job. May take some time. Unitl then I'll play nice. I kinda want to let them know I received the email after my 2 weeks notice. Maybe send a letter to the management team. It's annoying to have managers that don't know how to lead.
If you intend to play along w/this silly game I would just 'reply' it back to 'All' w/a note that says 'Thanks for the heads-ups. Please accept this as my formal two week notice'.

K

Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 PM

924 posts, read 2,227,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
If you intend to play along w/this silly game I would just 'reply' it back to 'All' w/a note that says 'Thanks for the heads-ups. Please accept this as my formal two week notice'.

K
Horrible advice. The company would love if Kagami46 gave notice of resignation. This should only be done in a separate letter once he's received a new job offer in writing.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:22 PM

Cool Yes, I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Horrible advice. The company would love if Kagami46 gave notice of resignation. This should only be done in a separate letter once he's received a new job offer in writing.
didn't think it needed to be spelled out for him. Of course...after he lands other employment ...
Koale

Old 04-12-2011, 11:35 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,562,458 times
Quote:
I sent this email to my manager's (I have 3) since I was turned down for a saturday off because 4 others already requested (and recieved) this day before me.

"OK that's fine. What is the earliest I can request for a day off. I was under the impression I could not request a day off too early in advanced.

Thank you."

A day later I recieved this email.

"Did you answer him? Due to how close he is to termination I want to make sure we don’t give him any reason to say we are not fair"

This was obviously not meant for me. I figure she replied by accident instead of forwarding it to the other manager. I've had previous conflict with this "new" management team. Comprised of all women who seem to favor the charming associates. Most of the complaints have been minor. I've been written up for talking (although I talk to my coworkers far less than the majoirty), Showing a picture of myself in the military (someone complained it was offensive) and for wearing part of a costume inside the building (I clocked out and I was leaving for the Halloween parade). I was told this was unprofessional behavior. I've been a machine (all work no play) for three months without any complaints. I thought I put my past actions behind me then I get this.

What would you do?
I'm glad I saw this and read it. What you are showing me, is just how stupid some work places have become.

Thank you,

~ bell ~

I wish you all the best and I hope for you a good end as you go through, your decision making process.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:38 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,562,458 times
Quote:
This is actually great advice and the first thing I tried. When she told me I'm not speaking the reasonable amount I asked what would be a reasonable amount of talking? She said nothing that doesn't have to do with work. I obliged. When she accused me of talking again I told her I was not talking I was just standing next to another employee. She told me if it looks like your talking on the cameras that's how HR will interpret it. When the regional spoke to me a few months later about my second write up I told him what actually happened and that my actions were only percieved in a different way. He told me perception is what matters and even called me a poor performer. This to me means it doesn't matter what I say, if my managers believe I'm doing things a certain way it doesn't matter the reason. It only matters how others view it. They were angry because I didn't say "yes, sir I was talking. I'm sorry" because I WASN'T talking. I've succesfully alienated myself from my coworkers by not saying a word unless it was work related. After my second write up I made sure to not do anything that can even be "percieved" by others as negative behavior. I asked them what I needed to do to get back in good standing they simply said do better and pushed me back to work. No follow up plan no counseling. Just your an idiot, stop being an idiot, go back to work. Over time I've come to the conclusion that they are not reasonable.
I would have responded, "Bite Me" as I walked myself right out the door. But then, that's just me. I can't stand bullies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment