U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 AM

10,491 posts, read 13,978,310 times

Advertisements

Direct deposit works for me. The best part is that I have my money one day earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 AM

2,000 posts, read 2,753,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
A bank is supposed to always confirm the identity of the customer presenting the check before they cash it. If they cash the check for the wrong person that is their fault. The bank and your employer should be insured so no one should be out any money.

It may take a little while to get you a new check though. Look everywhere before you report it missing.
The bank possibly, but the employer is not responsible.

The employer kept their end of the bargain, they issued a check for the pay.

If the employee's wife took the money, his best friend, a guy on the street, etc and then cashed the check-- the employer does not owe the employee anything. Just like if the employee deposited his funds and then went out to Vegas and blew them.

What needs to happen now---

The employee needs to call the employer to put a stop on the check and possibly reissue the check.

The employer will attempt to put a stop on the check (since they were the ones who issued the check). They will then wait a certain period of days to determine if the check has been cashed or not. They will even get a copy of the check to see who endorsed it or what have you. If the check has been cashed the employer will let the employee know and that is the end of it-- the employee will then have to work with the bank who cashed the check.

HOWEVER, I have seen this happen in the past where the check will be taken to a check cashing place who generally does not check identities-- and in that case the employee is really out of luck since it is very difficult to get anything back from the check cashing places-- sad to say but true.

If an employer is SUPER nice they may just send out a new check before the banks come back and say that the check has been cashed-- most won't though as it is not the employer's fault that the employee had the check stolen. They basically don't owe the employee a thing now. But, they may be nice-- although I would not bet on this.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 AM

537 posts, read 723,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
Yes I didn't sign it and that's exactly what I'm worried that someone would do.
'Yes, we have no bananas!'

Sorry I got side-tracked a bit. Even if forged, pretty sure they will be asked for ID wherever they try and cash it. You should be good, but stop payment just in case.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
'Yes, we have no bananas!'

Sorry I got side-tracked a bit. Even if forged, pretty sure they will be asked for ID wherever they try and cash it.
They'll definitely be asked to show ID. But the bank won't be demanding to see the OP's ID. The person could forge the OP's signature, like the OP signed the check over to them, then they could add their own signature and cash it. You'd think that would make it easy to catch thieves but not if they use fake identification.

The only way for the OP to protect himself is for his employer to stop payment on the check and wait for the employer to issue a new one. If the check is already cashed, he's screwed.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:21 PM

27,237 posts, read 27,151,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
A bank is supposed to always confirm the identity of the customer presenting the check before they cash it. If they cash the check for the wrong person that is their fault. The bank and your employer should be insured so no one should be out any money.

It may take a little while to get you a new check though. Look everywhere before you report it missing.
Other places are supposed to do this as well. Not all of them will though. I'm sure it can be taken to a check cashing operation and cashed without checking any ID.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM

543 posts, read 1,852,785 times
Anyway the manager said he will call on Monday because the places that can put a stop on it doesn't work on weekends. It's probably already cashed though.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM

24,548 posts, read 14,875,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yes. Tell your company you think it was stolen and they'll put a stop payment on it.

One time I was emptying my office trash can and realized I'd shredded my paycheck and one time threw out my tax return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
One time I was emptying my office trash can and realized I'd shredded my paycheck and one time threw out my tax return

How is this related to the OP?
If you had quoted the whole post you would see the connection. The issue is he can put a stop payment on a lost check and have it reissued - as even I did with my government tax return and my payroll check when I realized it was shredded. It was an example of something that happened relative to the OP and affirming he could do something about it quickly even if it's a government check. Any other genius questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment