Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Lets say you and I already work as smart as we can (we read up on new techniques, subscribe to industry publications, continually ask those smarter/more experienced than us for advice, etc.). Now let's say I work an extra hour/day in addition to all of that.

Who do you think will get promoted? You or me?
Depends whose got more political juice in the office and more ins with the people making the decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Depends whose got more political juice in the office and more ins with the people making the decisions.
Boy, I have seen this happen so many times. That is why I've become more of an advocate for working smarter than just blindly working really super-duper hard. I've done that before and it's come to bite me in the arse. Now, I just pay more attention to my environment and try to realize sooner when the poo is about to hit the fan.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Quote:
The cheapest labor wins these days.

Didn't you even read her posts?

They are replacing her and her coworkers with a contractor whose employees taking over the jobs barely speak english. Cheap third world offshore outsourcing.

How is working like crazy going to help her in this matter?

This right here.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
Quote:
Not in every company. That sounds like a generalized copout that people with no interpersonal or leadership and management skills, use, when they are inevitably passed over. 'I never get into the politics' 'I won't kiss posterior' 'I don't backstab'.

Usually they make these accusations of people who are, if not more capable than them, just plain more likeable than them, better leaders, and in short more worthy of promotion (all other knowledge/skills/abilities/etc, as listed by hnsq being equal).

Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Not in every company. That sounds like a generalized copout that people with no interpersonal or leadership and management skills, use, when they are inevitably passed over. 'I never get into the politics' 'I won't kiss posterior' 'I don't backstab'.

Usually they make these accusations of people who are, if not more capable than them, just plain more likeable than them, better leaders, and in short more worthy of promotion (all other knowledge/skills/abilities/etc, as listed by hnsq being equal).
The only thing he listed as the "difference" was working an hour longer each day than the other guy. Sometimes the nose to the grindstone type of person does not get promoted because, frankly, management likes their overwork in the current position (management may be very happy with getting extra work out of them and doesn't think if they are promoted management can find another person who will overwork like this) and they also are so busy working they don't get to demonstrate their interpersonal, leadership or management skills -- and have no juice!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:15 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Quote:
The only thing he listed as the "difference" was working an hour longer each day than the other guy. Sometimes the nose to the grindstone type of person does not get promoted because, frankly, management likes their overwork in the current position (management may be very happy with getting extra work out of them and doesn't think if they are promoted management can find another person who will overwork like this) and they also are so busy working they don't get to demonstrate their interpersonal, leadership or management skills -- and have no juice!

Still truer to life than what Nick is saying.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'll take this one step farther (further?). My experience has been similar and each time I took advantage of the situation to get a better higher paying job.

When I sense things are going down, I start updating resumes and applying for better jobs. It hasn't failed yet. It's now become a challenge, a game. It's fun. (It's not like I do this every year but if it has been four of five years on the same job then it's OK.) One thing that is important is to be employed when you are applying and don't tell any interviewer that things are shaky where you're coming from - it give them leverage.
That's what I did too!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I never in my life heard of requesting a layoff
This is quite common. They ask for volunteers to be laid off first. That save the jobs of the people who want to keep them. Many times, those who volunteer to be laid off are close to retirement. Then they get the severance, unemployment, and then retire. For some it can be a financial good move.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:41 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
This is quite common. They ask for volunteers to be laid off first. That save the jobs of the people who want to keep them. Many times, those who volunteer to be laid off are close to retirement. Then they get the severance, unemployment, and then retire. For some it can be a financial good move.
Yep. This is exactly what's happening with our client. Some people are getting a year's worth of severance pay. That's basically a full months pay for 12 months. They can also collect U/E if I understood them correctly.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Aha, then why aren't you snapping up one of those bargains in Surprise? I notice you've gone from soon to be to visit.
Because the world has changed. When we were looking at Surprise it was because we could not afford to buy a home in Oxnard. We had a home built in Surprise and ended up having my sister take over that place. At the time I couldn't find a job in Surprise or the Phoenix area. We love the Surprise area. My parents and half of their 8 kids live in the area. We still visit and love going there. Lets look at what has happened since 2007.

The bubble burst. Home prices declined. Not only in Surprise where I could probably buy our former home for $80 or $90,000 but homes in Oxnard have also declined. My wife and I both work at a place that we love. I wanted to spend the next 30 or 40 years right where I am if possible. Even when we were thinking about moving to Arizona this place was allways on our minds. My wife and I met at the hospital that we work at.

Because of that we decided to buy a home in Oxnard. The guy who bought our home in 2005 paid $590,000 and that wasn't even at the top of the market. By 2007 homes in our neighborhood were selling in the $650K to $700K range. We were able to pick up our home for $310,000 in December of 2010. On top of that both my wife and I have moved up in our jobs here at the hospital. Things are going good for us. We love where we are at and don't see a reason to move to another area anymore. Not that we won't buy something in Surprise. As you state the deals are just too good to not buy something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment