Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Nope. I love my job, and my job loves me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
I didn't cry on my way to work, but I was sick to my stomach with tension, and boy did I cry on the way home (and make weekly stops at the liquor store). I worked at a law firm, and the first several years were great, but by my ninth year it was obvious they wanted to get rid of me. I went from where I was earning the bosses' praise and yearly raises and added vacation time, to being nitpicked, yelled at, left out of the loop, given a pay cut, lost my paid holidays, and had most of my vacation days taken away. I was constantly told I was "free to quit" and they "wouldn't contest my unemployment". Then, after ten years, they terminated me, again telling me "they wouldn't contest my unemployment". They brought in someone to replace me, cheaper, another legal secretary whose previous employer hadjust done the same thing to HER.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Only a fool puts in extra effort with no return. Why would someone tire themselves out working harder at a job if there's little gain, when they can just use that energy somewhere else? You have to keep in mind that there's a limited amount of output for an individual a day and it need not be wasted on only one activity (work). It needs to be spread out. Otherwise you'll end up overworking yourself and diminishing your quality of life.
Lets say you and I already work as smart as we can (we read up on new techniques, subscribe to industry publications, continually ask those smarter/more experienced than us for advice, etc.). Now let's say I work an extra hour/day in addition to all of that.

Who do you think will get promoted? You or me?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
I can so relate-I went to college too a tad late-graduated at 35-but dang if I didn't do it! Having a family and all-you do feel like you've got to keep this job-no matter if your sanity is about to go. I would rather hit a tree than deal with this place daily. There is no work environment-it's all about them and what's in it for them. I get threatened once or more a week that this department is going to get shut down and given to people in another part of the state that will work. I was told that if I didn't bring enough money in during my 6 month probation(medical collections) I will terminated. I have no clue what I've done. My date is up on April 18th. And I am sick to my stomach-every night I am diving into Tums because my stomach is always upset. Even though I hate this job with every ounce of my being-I am forced to stay because we have no other income right now-although hubby does have 1 job lined up for Saturday-first one of the new year. I've been dealing with knowing I am making less than I did when I was 21($10hr)-no degree at the time and I drove a school bus. This whole new world has got to be the worst I've ever seen in all my years. I've never been without health insurance-in all my married life. I wonder why I am being punished daily-what is it that I did that God felt that I needed to deal with this. There is no easy answer-but go job hunting-I've not stopped since the day I walked through this guys door. Be persistent. Don't give up-we all have to think there's something better out there.
Work in this country, has gone to hell, ever since the 80s, and it just keeps getting worse and worse. Every day, I regret that I didn't go into business for myself, when I was young. Instead, I bought into the theory preached by my elders, that if you 'get educated and work hard, that you're guaranteed to get and keep a goo job'. I realize now, I shouldn't have bought into that crap!

But it's not just work that sucks nowadays. It seems to me that the heart, soul and joy, has been sucked out of EVERYTHING-music, and other forms of entertainment, the food that we eat (corporations have ruined our food supply), sex can now endanger your life (AIDS), you can no longer take having a place to live for granted, parents have to worry about their kids getting snatched-up by predators, food, gas, and other essentials, have gone sky-high in price, etc., etc. Yep, the good old days are really over, for most Americans.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Lets say you and I already work as smart as we can (we read up on new techniques, subscribe to industry publications, continually ask those smarter/more experienced than us for advice, etc.). Now let's say I work an extra hour/day in addition to all of that.

Who do you think will get promoted? You or me?

It depends on who you know . . . . .

Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by student_101 View Post
Yes. I was planning on leaving in the next 6 months anyways. And it's a year severance. Opposed to the 24 weeks I would get if they do involutary layoff after the 6 month period. Which is a big possibility because of outsourcing. I was asked if I would like to volunteer as my job was "possibly in jeopardy in the next 6 months". AKA I'm on the short list.
Something doesn't add up here. Why in the world would you be so devastated by an employer you were planning on leaving anyway?

You cry everyday knowing you want to be layed off? Why not look for another job? Looking for a little vacation are we?

It seems you more interested in the serverance pay than anything else.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
If I was crying EVERY DAY about my job I would quit.
That's right: quit.
It would certainly be hard on us financially but I would rather take that hit then be a miserable freaking mess.
My wife had a sweet job getting huge bonus checks... but the job was so very sketchy (mortgage industry, pre-crash). She came home one day and told me "my former employers want me back. I won't get those bonuses anymore so it will be quite a paycut. Can we afford it?"
I replied:
"I cannot afford to see you crying anymore after work every day. You quit TOMORROW!!!".
And she did.
And we were both much happier. Poorer, but happier.

And you are upset because you want to get laid off and are waiting to hear about it? What's to cry about? /confused
How about going to work every day and just screwing off? Call off a lot? What do you have to worry about? Doing your job? Stop doing it!
Bet you'd make that short list then.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times
Suck it up! Life is short.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Only third world countries put profits before people the way America does. It really is pathetic.
It looks like that's where the OP's job is going according to her post ... offshore to the third world! Let's hope the offshore workers do a crappy job and are dishonest and ruin the company.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Student_101 - funnel that energy into working harder.

Prove to yourself, your family, your friends and your company that you can be better than anyone else you work with even in a tough environment. Use the emotions you have to fuel you on your job, and for the next four weeks work like hell. The best person in the office is not the first one laid off.

Emotions can be a tool to fuel motivation, or they can be an anchor dragging you down. You have to choose which you want your emotions to be.
The cheapest labor wins these days.

Didn't you even read her posts?

They are replacing her and her coworkers with a contractor whose employees taking over the jobs barely speak english. Cheap third world offshore outsourcing.

How is working like crazy going to help her in this matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment