Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 PM

162 posts, read 886,261 times

Advertisements

I cry everyday on my way to work. It has affected every part of my life. The stress of layoffs have hit everyone, you can't trust anyone and I just sit there all day and hope no one talks to me. I used to love my job, but everything has changed. The company has changed. I dread going in everyday, to the point that I cry. I still have 4 weeks until I find out if I got the layoff I put in for. If I don't get it, I'll be devestated. How do you deal with a work enviroment that is no longer good. You can feel the tension in everyone the second you open the door. I'm miserable. How do I get through these 4 weeks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 01:20 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by student_101 View Post
I cry everyday on my way to work. It has affected every part of my life. The stress of layoffs have hit everyone, you can't trust anyone and I just sit there all day and hope no one talks to me. I used to love my job, but everything has changed. The company has changed. I dread going in everyday, to the point that I cry. I still have 4 weeks until I find out if I got the layoff I put in for. If I don't get it, I'll be devestated. How do you deal with a work enviroment that is no longer good. You can feel the tension in everyone the second you open the door. I'm miserable. How do I get through these 4 weeks?
Remember that although work is an essential part of life, there is more to it. Life goes on and as long as you have something to offer, a better job is in your future. Stay confident in your abilities. Remind yourself that you got this job on your own and you can get another on the same way. If you think your going to get laid off, start looking for jobs now. There's no shame in going to a few interviews during these 4 weeks. If you don't get laid off, then don't switch jobs. Or switch anyway if you like the job better. It's your choice and it's your life. No one can take that away even your managers.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
There's more going on in your head than just the job woes.

Student_101.
What kind of student? HS or college? How are your grades? How about your class schedule? Is there tuition money or is it running short?

Family.
Everything ok?

Boy/girlfriend?
Same question as above.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Well said, Kagami46.

Stressing out and crying do not help matters. You are not alone,
in fact there are a lot more people already struggling after being
laid off, you are not there yet. I would definitely get busy spending
any available time looking for a new job, and try to turn this into an opportunity rather than looking at it as a disaster.

When you are ready to apply for jobs, there is plenty of people here that hire, who can help with resumes, cover letters and interviewing tips.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:09 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by student_101 View Post
I have been through it too. I know that feeling. I am not much of a cryer, but I had one job that started out great and then the company changed. I would cry on my way to work every day. I had to take my makeup with me to put on after I got there otherwise I was a mess. It is horrible being that miserable. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I started looking for a new job. I found one after only a couple of weeks (before our current job market). I actually took a pay cut, but I decided that my health and sanity were worth it. I was so much hapier at my new job and didn't regret the pay cut one bit.

You will get through this. I know it is horrible right now, but that will change soon. Just remind yourself that this situation is temporary.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:24 PM

12 posts, read 21,670 times
many people do jobs they are not happy with but they have to do to pay the bills.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's more going on in your head than just the job woes.

Student_101.
What kind of student? HS or college? How are your grades? How about your class schedule? Is there tuition money or is it running short?

Family.
Everything ok?

Boy/girlfriend?
Same question as above.
I am a college student, older than most but better late than never. I have all A's and a 4.0 and school defintely doesn't stress me out, I am past the boring classes and am really enjoying the information I'm learning now. Tuition isn't an issue at all.

Family is great, my kids are doing well in school and at home

Husband is great, same as always

A part of me is really sad about how we are all being treated now, I worked for a good company. A caring company that really cared for it's workers. I feel like the bottom line is the most important thing now and they aren't doing the layoff gracefully. They keep pushing it back and keep us waiting to hear the news, it's almost the date and they say give it 4 more weeks and we'll let you know. I guess I'm hurt that I'm so easily replaced by people that barely speak our language. And I feel used, although I'm getting a paycheck, I know the only reason I have a job right now is because the contractor's aren't ready to take over yet.

I had my plan when I was done with school, I knew where I wanted to go within the company and how I was going to get there. I have had this job since I was out of high school (12 years ago). I got married, had my kids, bought my house, all at this job. And I just don't recognize this company anymore, I don't recognize the people I work with. It's like looking through a mirror and seeing the opposite of everything that once was. I guess in a way I feel like all of the dreams I had have been shattered.

I've been looking for a new job for a few months now. I've had interviews and was even hired once but I declined due to the income and the inability for them to negotiate. I know things will get better, but I'm having a hard time coping with the 'right now'.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:26 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
Two years ago I posted more than once on here that I had the best job in the world. Now, I feel nauseated just thinking of how ridiculous it has all become. I pull in the parking lot thinking 'Oh Good Lord why am I here?'....immediately followed by 'I wonder when we will all get laid off.'. Because eventually....it WILL happen.

All we can do is find our own happiness on a daily basis in our accomplishments and in our work friendships....and save enough money to tide us over until the first unemployment check comes in.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Two years ago I posted more than once on here that I had the best job in the world. Now, I feel nauseated just thinking of how ridiculous it has all become. I pull in the parking lot thinking 'Oh Good Lord why am I here?'....immediately followed by 'I wonder when we will all get laid off.'. Because eventually....it WILL happen.

All we can do is find our own happiness on a daily basis in our accomplishments and in our work friendships....and save enough money to tide us over until the first unemployment check comes in.
I guess it's just the way of the corporate world these days. My layoff will probably be soon...they keep pushing it back everytime we are supposed to get news, they said Friday 4 more weeks. So we'll see if they extend it or really let us know this time.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
I had an internship where I had to stand in the corner to eat my lunch. There weren't enough chairs for all the inters so I was chosen to stand. Needless to say I would cry on the walk home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment