Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,254 times

Advertisements

I don't think there was anything racist but if it makes you feel uncomfortable, just let them know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Some people are just looking for a reason to be offended. Lighten up Francis!!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
You have a few options here:

*ignore the remark and stew about it

*file a complaint with HR

*respond (its a little late now, but for future reference) in the conversation with lighthearted humor: "Yes, my Asian friends have this problem too...... drop them in an affluent American suburb and they can't tell one white person from another!"

If you are planning to leave the job anyway and don't want to improve your work relationships, do #1 or #2. If you want to make drama or really, really believe other employees have a bad work experience there because of race do #2. If you want to learn how to become a strong person who can manage most situations.....go with #3.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:42 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
I know many of you are non Asians but I would like to know what you think. My two managers were talking and I was there. One manager mentioned Jackie Chan because one of the dogs in the neigborhood is named that. I do not have a problem with that. But the other manager said in a comedy TV show that he saw, this family went to China and all Asians look all alike. The family thought they were seeing Jackie Chan everywhere. I seen that TV show with him and from my memory, it was not like how he described it. One aspect of racism is a remark that a certain race look all the same. As an Asian person I found this insulting. He actually did it in front of me. Also, the manager who made the racist remark gave me a lot of criticsm about my job performance two weeks ago. I am planning to leave my job because of this. Will this be considered a hostile work environment? I know many of you who are reading this are racist themselves but would like to know your opinion. I have an open mind.
Although the remark was insensitive, I think it was said more out of ignorance versus racism. As Chielgirl stated, folks can be really clueless so don't be so quick to find racism in everything. By the way, receiving a poor job review isn't necessarily a hostile work environment unless the poor review was unfairly given.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
I know many of you are non Asians but I would like to know what you think. My two managers were talking and I was there. One manager mentioned Jackie Chan because one of the dogs in the neigborhood is named that. I do not have a problem with that. But the other manager said in a comedy TV show that he saw, this family went to China and all Asians look all alike. The family thought they were seeing Jackie Chan everywhere. I seen that TV show with him and from my memory, it was not like how he described it. One aspect of racism is a remark that a certain race look all the same. As an Asian person I found this insulting. He actually did it in front of me. Also, the manager who made the racist remark gave me a lot of criticsm about my job performance two weeks ago. I am planning to leave my job because of this. Will this be considered a hostile work environment? I know many of you who are reading this are racist themselves but would like to know your opinion. I have an open mind.
Do you think in your heart the people making these comments were trying to be hurtful or offensive? If not, then what you did by mentioning it to them was the right thing to do. After that, forget about it. If it happens again then perhaps it wasn't an accident and these people are trying to be hurtful.

Life is too short to get worked up about comments that weren't meant to be hurtful.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
chinamen, you seriously need to develop a thicker skin and stop seeing racism in innocuous remarks. Develop a sense of humor and lighten up. This advice coming from an old white lady living in a black community who still occasionally is called a, "white mudder's c*** effing biotch" by ignoramuses - infinitely worse than what you're decrying as racism. Sheesh!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
It's hard to tell if it was a racist comment, but I personally think if you are going to work with people you have to develop a bit of a thick skin. If you are going to quit every time you hear a racist or sexist comment, you won't be working long . . . there are a bunch of baffoons out there in the world . . .

On the other hand, do you have a sense of humor? Family Guy is funny and pretty outrageous . . .why would you take a comment about Family Guy as an insult to you?

Some people do think other races all look alike. I am not sure if that is completely racist or just not particularly detailed oriented. If most Asians have black hair and a certain style of eyelid . . .would it be racist to conclude they have these features in common? What exactly is your argument with the statement (aside from the racism . . . how do you describe people who tend to have similar features in a race? Just curious ) . . .

Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
OP,

Watch the episode again.

That eposide of Family Guy is the one where the character Peter says every Asian guy looks like Jackie Chan (which means all Asians look alike).

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 AM

115 posts, read 567,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Although the remark was insensitive, I think it was said more out of ignorance versus racism. As Chielgirl stated, folks can be really clueless so don't be so quick to find racism in everything. By the way, receiving a poor job review isn't necessarily a hostile work environment unless the poor review was unfairly given.
The poor job review came from the racist manager. In the end, the senior manager who has the most power told me that I am doing a good job and the door is open if I wanted to work there until I retire which is a long time from now. The senior manager felt that the racist manager was incorrect so no warnings were given to me. Just that the door is open.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM

115 posts, read 567,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OP,

Watch the episode again.

That eposide of Family Guy is the one where the character Peter says every Asian guy looks like Jackie Chan (which means all Asians look alike).

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Okay, that makes more sense. I was not really paying attention to the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment