U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 PM

4,847 posts, read 5,012,749 times
Question What can a former employer tell a potential employer?

I worked at a job for 13 years.
In those 13 years, I was late 2 times, and was an overall good employee in a retail store.
The owner liked me, gave me a raise every year with a nice X-Mass card thanking me for another year of good service.
Yes, I saved the cards.

He liked me until I told him I was moving cross country and would be quitting.
{I gave 6 weeks notice}
His attitude towards me changed and he became quite unfriendly.

I really dont know where I stand with him. I was told that the law says all a potential employer can ask is: "Would you re-hire Mr. XXX" .
Is this true?
How do I explain to a new employer that my boss started trashing me when he found out I was leaving....but before that I was considered a GREAT employee?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 PM

14,083 posts, read 16,413,594 times
There is no such law, an ex-employer can give as much or as little detail as they want, and make up bad things if they are mad at you. Your only protection is to hire a lawyer and sue them in civil court if you can prove that their bad reference prevented you from getting the new job. Many employers, in order to prevent lawsuits, choose to only verify dates employed and title, maybe final salary. Others cooperate fully. One question that they can answer honestly and avoid losing a suit is "would you hire this person again?"

Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 PM

7 posts, read 16,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
{I gave 6 weeks notice}
I think it was a mistake.
If they were planning a layoff, would they give you a 6 week notice? He's been a great employee, let's give him some extra time... I've never seen that happen.

Quote:
How do I explain to a new employer that my boss started trashing me when he found out I was leaving....but before that I was considered a GREAT employee?
If a new employer tells you that they called your former/current employer, and were told you're not eligible for re-hire, you may be able to sue.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,982,843 times
Default For starters...

Quote:
In those 13 years, I was late 2 times, and was an overall good employee in a retail store.
The owner liked me, gave me a raise every year with a nice X-Mass card thanking me for another year of good service.
Yes, I saved the cards.

{I gave 6 weeks notice}

I really dont know where I stand with him. I was told that the law says all a potential employer can ask is: "Would you re-hire Mr. XXX" .
Is this true?
I would secure a copy of your personnel file. You have a legal right to it.
That should help you quite abit. It should be all inclusive of reviews and your resignation letter. If not, try to secure them.
Besides, your tenure of 13 years will say more than anything else about you as an employee. Good luck.
Koale

Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 PM

162 posts, read 353,490 times
Quote:
Yes, I saved the cards.

{I gave 6 weeks notice}

Is this true?
This may be purely my company policy. But they can only say that you are hireable. To divulge any more information we have a paper that we sign which give them the ability to tell a new employer your starting/ending salary. Reason for seperation. and start and end dates. But you have to sign that paper for them to divulge anymore than "hireable".

Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,946,183 times
Most corporations school their managers to say absolutely nothing. HR handles inquiries by saying you worked there such-and-so dates, period. Otherwise, they leave themselves open to law suits.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
Most employers don't bother asking or answering the 'would you rehire' question. Any kind of answer could mean so many things. 'No' could just mean that the company has a 'no-rehire' policy. Answering 'yes' doesn't necessarily mean that you were a good employee.

Legally, an employer can say anything that is truthful. Most will stick to dates of employment, salary, and title/position. I would give your boss some more time to get used to your news. If yyou are really concerned, there's a company called Allison Taylor that can perform a reference check posing as a potential employer, and tell you what your boss said about you.

But realistically, I doubt you have much to worry about. Even if your employer says something negative, most potential employers are going to look at your resume and see that you worked there for thirteen years, so you couldn't be all that bad.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 AM

4,847 posts, read 5,012,749 times
Thank you all very very much for your help.
I do feel much better about my chances.
However, because I'm a tad paranoid, I am considering using that company KODAKA mentioned.
$79.00 and I can sleep at night not having to worry about what he may or may not say.

Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:38 AM

41,634 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpire View Post
I think it was a mistake.
If they were planning a layoff, would they give you a 6 week notice? He's been a great employee, let's give him some extra time... I've never seen that happen.

If a new employer tells you that they called your former/current employer, and were told you're not eligible for re-hire, you may be able to sue.
You can sue for anything but unless its untruthful you wouldn't win. The burden is on you in a suit remmeebr and he can counter sue for legal fees ;so be careful.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 AM

145 posts, read 216,087 times
Stagger if you use that website that was suggested for the reference check can you let us know the results of the website. If the site is thorough and really helpful it could be just the thing I am looking for as I work for a company i do not trust on how they would give a reference if I were to attempt to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment