Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Well. You can present the doom and gloom forecast for just about any job profession. But my two friends who are patent attorneys said they didn't have too much trouble finding their first job, and they make good bucks.
If you are going to take on $200k in nondischargable debt then you had better be 100% sure you will get a high paying job when you graduate or you may end up fleeing the country like some law grads are doing when they can't find work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If you are going to take on $200k in nondischargable debt then you had better be 100% sure you will get a high paying job when you graduate or you may end up fleeing the country like some law grads are doing when they can't find work.
Honestly, I can't blame them. We're seeing a great vaccumming and depletion of skills and education in this country. No new blood to replace them because no one has money to train. It's like the infrastructure is rotting from the inside out. I had the option of moving to Australia about a year ago, and if I go through one more lay off, I think I'm going to be the next one to follow suit.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Here are the kind of jobs you can expect. BTW that is with 3 years experience no/joke benefits. BTW contract to hire is typically a scam.

Jobs > Scientific > Illinois > Chemist
Chemist

Company: Aerotek Scientific
Rate: $15.00 to $19.00 per Hour
Job Type:
Contract-to-Hire
Posting ID:
Posting Date: 4/13/2011
Chemist Job Description:

One of Aerotek Scientific's largest accounts develops and manufactures innovative healthcare products used by medical professionals and retail consumers throughout the world. They develop products such as shampoo caps, gowns, gloves and various oral care products. This group is looking for a Chemistry Laboratory Technician to join their team.

This individual will be conducting QC testing. They will retrieve and document all pertinent information required to verify the reliability of test results. They will need to recognize any deviation or departure from expected testing conditions or results. They will participate in instrument maintenance and perform various product/process tests for control and assurance of quality in products and processes.

Job Duties:
* Conduct Quality Control tests as assigned
* Generate test results
* Participate in routine instrument maintenance

Great Company to start a career with! All interested please apply!
Required Skills for Chemist Job:

• BACHELOR'S DEGREE IN CHEMISTRY
  • 2-3 YEARS OF RELEVANT EXPERIENCE

$15-19 an hour? Surely they jest...

Old 08-14-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
$15-19 an hour? Surely they jest...
Then there are a lot of jokers.

Company: Momentum Scientific (http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Companies/CompanyDetails.aspx?HHName=MomentumScientific001&s c_cmp1=JS_JobDetails_CoLogoLink - broken link) Base Pay: $14.00 - $20.00 /Hour Other Pay:
Employee Type: Full-Time Industry: Biotechnology
Pharmaceutical Manages Others: No Job Type: Biotech
Pharmaceutical
Science Required Education: 4 Year Degree Required Experience: Not Specified Required Travel: None Relocation Covered: No Reference ID: 407195

• Must have a BS or MS in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related science.
  • Experience with HPLC, GC, MS and other analytical instrumentation is helpful.
  • Experience with organic synthesis is helpful.
  • Experience from industry or academic research and development environment is helpful.

Job Code : CHEM
Job Type : Full Time
Shift/Hours : Rotating
Category : Biotech/Clinical/R&D/Science
Career Level : Experienced (Non-Manager)
Education : Bachelor's Degree
Compensation : From 12.00 To 18.00 USD Per Hour

Job Description :
Kelly Services has several openings for experienced Chemists. These are contract positions that have the possibility of leading to full-time hire. Bachelors Degree required. Please email your resume to 5689@kellyservices and put the work "Chemist" in the subject line.

626456, Segula Technologies inc
Sector: Scientific
Job Function: Other Scientific
Job Type: Permanent

Role:
Seeking entry level chemistry candidates for contract to hire opportunity in Webster, NY! Candidates must be willing to work weekly rotational shifts. Candidates must have reliable transportation and the ability to pass drug/background testing. Bachelors of Chemisty, Chemical Engineering, Biology or related required.
Benefits:
$18.05 an hour w-2
Posted: 10.08.2011 Expires: 07.09.2011

Posted Date: 7/14/2011 Job Category: Scientific Position Title: QC Chemist Salary Range: 17.00 - $19.00 Location: Southeast Kansas City Metro Desired Skills: Description: Seeking candidates for this temp-to-hire opportunity. Hours are 2nd shift 4pm-2:30am Tuesday-Friday, with some flexibility for overtime as needed.
Job Summary:
QC Chemist is responsible for quality checks, testing, analysis and troubleshooting of any issues related to production.
Responsibilities:
Testing pH, viscosity, total solids, anionic titrations, optical brightener via UV-VIS and HPLC
Troubleshoot issues that arise and make batch adjustments when necessary
Perform raw ingredient comparisons to standard and verify accuracy of incoming materials
Perform quality packaging checks including fill weight control, cap torque, leak tests and finished product inspections.
Requirements:
BS Chemistry
Minimum 2-3yrs experience with HPLC
Laboratory experience
Excellent oral & written communication skills
Excellent computer skills
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

I'm afraid the joke is on anyone naive enough to go to college for a science major.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 08-14-2011 at 01:47 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 01:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Then there are a lot of jokers.

Company: Momentum Scientific (http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Companies/CompanyDetails.aspx?HHName=MomentumScientific001&s c_cmp1=JS_JobDetails_CoLogoLink - broken link) Base Pay: $14.00 - $20.00 /Hour Other Pay:
Employee Type: Full-Time Industry: Biotechnology
Pharmaceutical Manages Others: No Job Type: Biotech
Pharmaceutical
Science Required Education: 4 Year Degree Required Experience: Not Specified Required Travel: None Relocation Covered: No Reference ID: 407195

• Must have a BS or MS in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related science.
  • Experience with HPLC, GC, MS and other analytical instrumentation is helpful.
  • Experience with organic synthesis is helpful.
  • Experience from industry or academic research and development environment is helpful.

Job Code : CHEM
Job Type : Full Time
Shift/Hours : Rotating
Category : Biotech/Clinical/R&D/Science
Career Level : Experienced (Non-Manager)
Education : Bachelor's Degree
Compensation : From 12.00 To 18.00 USD Per Hour

Job Description :
Kelly Services has several openings for experienced Chemists. These are contract positions that have the possibility of leading to full-time hire. Bachelors Degree required. Please email your resume to 5689@kellyservices and put the work "Chemist" in the subject line.

626456, Segula Technologies inc
Sector: Scientific
Job Function: Other Scientific
Job Type: Permanent

Role:
Seeking entry level chemistry candidates for contract to hire opportunity in Webster, NY! Candidates must be willing to work weekly rotational shifts. Candidates must have reliable transportation and the ability to pass drug/background testing. Bachelors of Chemisty, Chemical Engineering, Biology or related required.
Benefits:
$18.05 an hour w-2
Posted: 10.08.2011 Expires: 07.09.2011

I know from experience that a lot of the staffing agencies, and I am not saying this ONE in particular---are just stockpiling resumes. I work in medicine, you know, the field everyone thinks there are tons of jobs in? I am employed, but I have taken jobs that are low pay and crappy. I make good money now, but my job is a temp job. I know experienced people who are either unemployed or driving buses, etc., to be employed. The thing is, the jobs filled up. Hospitals didn't need hundreds of techs, etc. every year coming out and now, many have students doing the work, overseeing techs with them. I tell people not to go into medicine. It sounds like your profession hit the same situation. And employers are purposefully understaffing. When you go into a hospital and you have to wait 10 days for your nurse to drive by, it isn't because they can't find nurses to work there, it is because they give each nurse too many patients and overwork them.

I know what it is like to be an educated person and find out there is nowhere to go. And those pay levels in those ads are jokes when you have a huge student loan to repay.

Should you take any job like that, don't do the typical American thing of financing a car or a home. Not now. Get by as frugally as you can. You can even rent a home sometimes as cheap as an apartment and fix it up with old furniture.

I will say what no one wants to say...that the depletion of education and skills in this country is complex, but many of the scholarships and education monies are going to people who will not "succeed". Grants and scholarships are more focused on "minorities" and foreigners, than the kid who sat in school and did his work and got a high GPA and then applied to good schools only to be turned down because states like California are using college as a backdoor amnesty program.

It's not PC to say this and I don't care, but someone has to say it. The depletion of jobs in this nation, coupled with the vast amounts of money being given away to people for other reasons than real education, is just draining us down the tubes. Education is now very politicized.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:35 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
$18/hr for an entry level Chemistry position ain't bad. That's what a lot of entry level positions are paying these days.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
$18/hr for an entry level Chemistry position ain't bad. That's what a lot of entry level positions are paying these days.
Except these jobs do not develop you. First off there are no benefits. Second of all the experience you get at these jobs are not very useful. The few decent jobs want product development, formulations, and research experience. These jobs consist of running the same textbook method over and over again day after day. The company where i work actually inhibits professional development because they like declaring people 1099 and fear that offering development may get them in trouble and they are worried about intellectual property despite us signing a nondisclosure agreement so they kick us out of meetings where we can learn about the research.

Typically people work these jobs for a few years not advancing and finally do a career change or go into teaching. Science is not a viable career anymore.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,944 times
Quote:
Except these jobs do not develop you. First off there are no benefits. Second of all the experience you get at these jobs are not very useful. The few decent jobs want product development, formulations, and research experience. These jobs consist of running the same textbook method over and over again day after day. The company where i work actually inhibits professional development because they like declaring people 1099 and fear that offering development may get them in trouble and they are worried about intellectual property despite us signing a nondisclosure agreement so they kick us out of meetings where we can learn about the research.

Typically people work these jobs for a few years not advancing and finally do a career change or go into teaching. Science is not a viable career anymore.
I think most chemists don't have to take these jobs. In many professions, like law, chemistry, and more, most people do get the type of jobs that one traditionally expects with their degrees.... the problem is, there is a minority of people who can't get the normal types of jobs and have to endure the indignity of going through more menial jobs. The more successful people wouldn't show up on these forums, as they are not worried about job issues.

That having said, if you have 100K in nondischargable debt from getting multiple chemistry degrees and are now working at Arby's, the fact that you're in the bottom 15 percent careerwise and most chemists are doing better is not going to be any consolation.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
I think most chemists don't have to take these jobs. In many professions, like law, chemistry, and more, most people do get the type of jobs that one traditionally expects with their degrees.... the problem is, there is a minority of people who can't get the normal types of jobs and have to endure the indignity of going through more menial jobs. The more successful people wouldn't show up on these forums, as they are not worried about job issues.

That having said, if you have 100K in nondischargable debt from getting multiple chemistry degrees and are now working at Arby's, the fact that you're in the bottom 15 percent careerwise and most chemists are doing better is not going to be any consolation.
It is not the bottom 15% but the bottom 80% +. We have several people that keep dismissing the dismal science career prospects as just what happens to those that can't cut it. However the most recent ACS survey indicated that this is typical of over 80% of chem grads.

Chemjobber: Well, that's not good news

Only 29% and 38% of BS/MS grads are employed full time and 49/55% of those are in crap academic techie jobs that pay horribly and are dead end.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,944 times
Quote:
It is not the bottom 15% but the bottom 80% +. We have several people that keep dismissing the dismal science career prospects as just what happens to those that can't cut it. However the most recent ACS survey indicated that this is typical of over 80% of chem grads.

Chemjobber: Well, that's not good news

Only 29% and 38% of BS/MS grads are employed full time and 49/55% of those are in crap academic techie jobs that pay horribly and are dead end.
It's not 80 percent, as most of the people in that chart are pursuing further studies and therefore do not count as unemployed/underemployed by any reasonable definition. I also suspect many of the 15-18 percent listed as unemployed there (probably around the time of graduation) will eventually find something chemistry-related. But I do think a lot of those 15-18 percent are going to be the ones who take the jobs doing menial work, once they give up on finding something better. And maybe also a chunk of the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment