U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-16-2011, 02:01 AM

48 posts, read 218,751 times
Default What to put for desired salary

On an application form, what should I put for salary desired? Many job descriptions request for candidates to send a cover letter stating the desired salary. I've read that an actual amount should not be listed and instead I should put "open" or "negotiable". So what am I supposed to put when they ask for an amount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-16-2011, 02:25 AM

7,014 posts, read 3,436,999 times
Put the biggest number you can comfortably pronounce.

Seriously...if you have the option to do so, put in a range. Otherwise, if they're going to force you to really put in a number, do research and put in something reasonably high as you would in the first round of a negotiation. But where possible, it is to your advantage to delay specifying a number for as long as you can - if they can first make an offer, that's better for you.

Unread 04-16-2011, 08:00 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,980,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Put the biggest number you can comfortably pronounce.

Seriously...if you have the option to do so, put in a range. Otherwise, if they're going to force you to really put in a number, do research and put in something reasonably high as you would in the first round of a negotiation. But where possible, it is to your advantage to delay specifying a number for as long as you can - if they can first make an offer, that's better for you.
Very good advice!

I would usually write "open", and if asked, I would say it is dependent upon the entire scope of the position and the benefit package. Some interviews asked for clarification and I advised that if the position is hourly and OT is paid, that's makes a big difference vs. being salaried and not getting paid for OT. Also on the benefit side of things...if a company expects the employee to fork over $400/month for health insurance vs. having to pay just $40/month...that means a lot when you look at your finances.

Unread 04-16-2011, 08:36 AM

5,649 posts, read 9,216,939 times
To me, putting down a salary requirement is a "NO WIN" situation for the applicant! Put down a number and if that number is more than the company is willing to pay.......the applicant won't hear from the company! If the applicant puts down too low of a number, a company could easily wonder why, with the experience listed on the resume or app (online), an applicant is asking for so little. If an applicant puts down "open" or "will discuss", in many cases a company doesn't like that......they want an actual number!

Unread 04-16-2011, 10:10 AM

37,261 posts, read 38,373,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
To me, putting down a salary requirement is a "NO WIN" situation for the applicant! Put down a number and if that number is more than the company is willing to pay.......the applicant won't hear from the company!
This is absolutely true.

Unread 04-16-2011, 12:28 PM

31,158 posts, read 18,731,107 times
Quote:
To me, putting down a salary requirement is a "NO WIN" situation for the applicant! Put down a number and if that number is more than the company is willing to pay.......the applicant won't hear from the company! If the applicant puts down too low of a number, a company could easily wonder why, with the experience listed on the resume or app (online), an applicant is asking for so little. If an applicant puts down "open" or "will discuss", in many cases a company doesn't like that......they want an actual number!

That's why you research the average salary for that particualr position before stating the requirements.

Unread 04-16-2011, 01:12 PM

162 posts, read 294,845 times
Quote:
A company actually told me after an interview that they didn't hire me because my salary is more than they can afford. I usually look up or ask someone in a similar position how much they make to get a good range. But in this case it was an uncommon position, no way to figure it out, so I threw a number out there. oops. I started putting negotiable as there is more than just salary that I'm interested in. If they are going to take half my check to pay for insurance, and there are no bonuses that makes a difference. If it's a lower salary but the insurance is reasonable and there are incentives, then I'd actually make more with the lower salary. So to make a longer story short. I don't give expected salary or what I make now. If they dont like it, then too bad. I'm not doing a crap shoot to see if I can nail their range.

Unread 04-16-2011, 01:39 PM

2,537 posts, read 957,197 times
I would go with the average salary for that position as previously stated. The bureau of labor statistics is a good place to start. If you put negotiable or open most times you won't get a response.

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Unread 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM

23,295 posts, read 11,746,357 times
Tell them to think of a number and whatever it is double it.

But, no, seriously, I have always used the advice you have above, combined, and that is to use both a bracketed amount within the confines of your peers in your skill or chosen career, coupled with the cost of living where you are - at a minimum a good guide is one week of your salary should equal one month of your rent or mortgage payment. Research it, come up with a bracket amount and simply put 'Somewhere in the mid thrirties to mid fourties, but subject to further discussion and negotiation per the requirements of the position." (As an example). This way you have a good idea what you are worth, you've given them a range to work with and left yourself an out by expressing you are willing to discuss it.

Unread 04-16-2011, 06:58 PM

7,924 posts, read 5,498,094 times
Put down $1.00 if you have to put down something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment