Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Co-workers generally want you to fail at your job, or just perform it to low level, not get anywhere.
Understandable, as I don't want them to succeed either. I am in sales, and if my coworkers outsell me, it raises the bar. I look bad, and many times, the bosses fire the bottom 10 percent on a 3 month bases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 04:23 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
I trust my co-workers to do their jobs safely and by the letter so that nobody gets hurt.

Doesn't mean we don't check each other because anyone can overlook or make a mistake, but I know they aren't out there deliberately attempting to hurt someone.

In terms of my job, this is the only trust that matters.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:04 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Do you trust the people you work with?

Adults can be the biggest phonies you've ever dealt with combine that with being phony and you work with them.

What about you?
give it a rest holden caulfield

Old 05-30-2012, 03:20 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
TRUST ... Hmm that is a hard one, I would need to know what "trust" means within this context.

Trust not to steal from me at work?
Trust to take care of my house while I am gone?
Trust to not stab me in the back at work?(figuratively speaking)
Trust to/not to ....

I will say that getting personally involved with your co-workers can be a very bad thing, yes, you can be friendly and possibly friends, but NO personal relationships, be it sexual or a sibling type relationship.

I will say there are exceptions to this though, but it is rare.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:25 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I trust my co-workers to do their jobs safely and by the letter so that nobody gets hurt.
Sorry, but this is a VERY bad policy to have.

I have seen too much "Oh Sh!&, you have got to be kidding me" type stuff.

Usually it is only the person in question that will get hurt, but bottom line, that costs the company.

Last edited by Trackwatch; 05-30-2012 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I trusted my co-workers and was friends with several of them until I got laid off. There was this manager who would eat lunch with my every week, talked to me every day and we were just great pals. Anyway, I started griping about some of the stuff going down at the office and I later found out that she had been passing it up the food chain and made sure that I was the one canned when lay-off time came around.

Fortunately I was "laid off" and not fired, but I know why they got rid of me. I know it was her, and she had always told me "everything we say is between us"... bunch of nonsense.

I've learned my lesson and at my new workplace I have made a point to be friendly with the others but I am not friends with any of them. There is a difference. Your co-workers are your co-workers, they are not to be trusted. I have my friends from other places.
I do think there a lot of co-workers out there, always looking for an options to undermine, backstab, or gain advantage - Almost like everyone your dealing with is a low level sociopath.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:05 PM

810 posts, read 1,762,782 times
I don't trust anyone that I work with because I have heard them talking bad about another employee when she was at lunch so I am very confident that they do that to every employee, as well as steal change from peoples desks etc. I do not understand why people can not be adults.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Do you trust the people you work with?

I can honestly say I don't trust them as far as I can see them. I've always been that way as it relates to people I work with. Adults can be the biggest phonies you've ever dealt with combine that with being phony and you work with them.

What about you?
I agree with this 100%. Ive been thrown under the bus way too many times to trust anyone.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Do you trust your coworkers?

Nope. No way in hell. Did that before. Burned. Didn't learn my lesson. Burned again.
Most people don't mean to be aholes, but they are aholes nonetheless.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Understandable, as I don't want them to succeed either. I am in sales, and if my coworkers outsell me, it raises the bar. I look bad, and many times, the bosses fire the bottom 10 percent on a 3 month bases.
Currently doing some work with someone at work - so there teaching me what they do.

Only been doing it 2 days and there getting smart with me, like frowning when you ask them a question, or like saying or your no good at this, I am much better at doing this than you - This person has been doing this every day for 2 years, you come in after 2 days don't have correct accounts, software setup and there acting like this!!! Your just settling in!!

I have seen this pattern Before - Where you start a new job, a co-worker does there best to convince you that you have to be some sort of genius to do their job. - its often in their first months they try to discourage, confuse the new start to keep their job safe by getting you to get frustrated and leave - This is there hope.

After a few months you realise what there doing is pretty easy - and just lots of drudge work, and there mostly just pretending to be smarter than they are by talking at meeting and just using jargon - doesn't require any real expertise or anything special.

Then after another few months - after you have mopped up all their knowledge - you start improving things, and bettering them - and there stunned that not as smart as they think they are.

Why are there so many people in Business and corporate jobs like this out there - doing average, run of the mill jobs who think there very smart - but are clearly not. I am just fed up with people who pretend to be smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment