Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,925,079 times

Advertisements

It's $20 per hour better than being unemployed. I'd take it. You won't get rich but you won't starve either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 01:27 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,217,362 times
I know plenty of people with a college degree not making $20 an hour. I know plenty of people without a college degree that make more than $20 an hour. I know plenty of people with a college degree that are making lots more than $20 an hour. I have a college degree and make lots more than $20 an hour. It doesn't matter much I think. Depends on what you want to do in life. Remember this that their are no promisses in life. The fact is that you have an offer in hand that will pay you $20 an hour today. Your offer is debt free, without student loan debt. Your offer is today. If you were to go to school how long will it take to complete your degree? While you are in school if you go to schoo full time, those are years that you will not be making much of anything. You said in 10 years you would be making $30 or more an hour. Plenty of college grads don't make that amount. If you were to graduate with a degree the scenario is that you would end up with a job that may pay $20 or more an hour. Chances are within a few years from then you would be making $30 an hour. So in 6 years with the degree you are making $30 an hour but didn't make much of anything for the 4 years of school.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM

364 posts, read 1,077,727 times
Take the job. It's very good pay to start out. You could get a degree and come out making a lot less or not find a job at all. Take the job, then go to school part time. Who knows, they may help you pay for it.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,979,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Hi Guys!

New here and was wondering what everyone thought of a job paying 20.00 an hour? Is this a good salary now a days like it was ten years ago? does anybody make 20 an hour that can tell me their thoughts? Only reason I ask is because I have an option to go to school for a BA, or get a full time SECURE job making 20.00 an hour... benefits & 401K... in this economy would I be a fool to pass? Or will jobs like that come around often? I'm 25 by the way, Male.

thanks!
IMO, you should take ANY job that comes along.

If you are industrious enough, you will work your way up in no time.

Are you currently unemployed?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:03 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,843,476 times
$20/hr without a degree? Where I live, it would be worth moving to make that much. If you don't want it, maybe my husband can take the job. lol. That is double what he is making now at 39 years old. This economy really knocked us down. I would take the job and go to school in my off hours.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:49 AM

39 posts, read 151,067 times
Thanks for all the advice guys. I've decided to take the job. 20.00 an hour is rich to me right now because I currently don't have any kids and no major bills outside of rent & a car payment. Your all right about how it wouldn't make much sense to lose out on money now and not be assured a job in the future even WITH a degree. Maybe I can find a way to take up night classes on the side. I know there are many who make way more, but I also know many who would give their left arm for a job like this. Thanks guys!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,959,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. I've decided to take the job. 20.00 an hour is rich to me right now because I currently don't have any kids and no major bills outside of rent & a car payment. Your all right about how it wouldn't make much sense to lose out on money now and not be assured a job in the future even WITH a degree. Maybe I can find a way to take up night classes on the side. I know there are many who make way more, but I also know many who would give their left arm for a job like this. Thanks guys!
Good choice, IMO. If I had the knowledge that I have now at 25 (as opposed to 17, when I graduated high school), I would have not gone to college right away. It's a huge risk if you don't already have your future mapped out and know exactly what you want to do. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 AM

9,732 posts, read 9,688,833 times
$20/hr is like "minimum wage" in Northern Virginia. You would not be able to buy decent housing on that. You would be a renter.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,959,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
$20/hr is like "minimum wage" in Northern Virginia. You would not be able to buy decent housing on that. You would be a renter.
That's good to know, but the OP is in Northern CA and I think he's entry level. Would you expect that an entry level person should be buying a house anyway?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 AM

52,212 posts, read 33,980,412 times
for your situation, and at a time when people are lining up by the hundreds for a chance to cook fries at mcdonald's, it sounds like something to jump on for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment