U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM
 
21,168 posts, read 16,798,737 times
Reputation: 9893

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Ok Mr. Smart guy you explain to me then , why would YOU have the right to complain if you were making 70-100K plus a year? I can't wait to read that!
There are areas of the country where $100k feels like making $30k in other areas due to the cost of living. It's relative.

 
Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 AM
 
624 posts, read 914,356 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Do any of you read before you post? Nobody is envious of anyone making 70-100K plus... I was simply irritated at hearing people who DO make that much complaining like little girls who didn't get a new doll when they already have a huge doll house at home! YES, people have the right to want to make more if they choose, but complaining about your pay that's MUCH higher than the average person, while also writing off the fact that we're in a terrible economy where people can't even FIND jobs is pathetic period!!! Anyone who says otherwise is a snob plain and simple
You are clearly envious of anyone making what you consider "enough" money. Everyone sees that but you!!!

You were not even part of this conversation. You overheard someone discussing their salary among THEIR colleagues. He could very well have a legitimate complaint about his pay. Just because he may make "enough" money in your mind does not mean he should just shut up and take it.

I could kind of understand your point if you were the one he was complaining too. But you WERE NOT!!

You keep referring to these people as childish but YOU are the one easedropping on conversations and then going onto a message board to whine and complain about it. Talk about childish. You have been namecalling since this thread started. My kids do things like that.

Just because I make more money than the average person does not mean I should be walked all over to satisfy childish people like you.

With youf attitude you won't ever have to worry about making that kind of money. It will always be a fairytale to you.
 
Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 AM
 
39 posts, read 59,569 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There are areas of the country where $100k feels like making $30k in other areas due to the cost of living. It's relative.
LMAO... where would making 100K a year be the equivalent of 30K? Beverly Hills? Hollywood? lol... a you thought MY answer was bad haha
 
Old 04-26-2011, 10:10 AM
 
435 posts, read 480,695 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Yes of course I would... 10.00 an hour is what, under 20K? Nobody can have a decent life on that. But if I couldn't find anything I would take it, keep my mouth shut, and work towards a better job. But 20K a year is basically poverty level... 70-100K plus is not! What's to complain about if your making DOUBLE the average American salary? I would be so grateful to make that when I know that there are millions who ARE only making 10.00 an hour and have poverty level lives. Your question is an epic fail sir!
If every American had an attitude like yours, there would be no internet for you to post your screeds on.

What makes American great is the constant drive to improve your situation. I made over $70k last year and I'm working hard to make more this year. Why? I want to take my family on a couple of awesome vacations. I know, this makes me a horrible person in your eyes.

Some people I work with used to make twice what they are making now due to the economy. So, they complain because they were accustomed to the higher standard of living. One of them had to pull his kids out of the private school where they had friends. One of them had to move to a different neighborhood. This caused their families PAIN. Yes, people that make more money than you have FEELINGS and PROBLEMS. One of them has a kid struggling with cancer.

However, these people will bounce back because they have the spirit that it takes to be a winner. They are competitive, bright, positive and hard-working. They ADMIRE people that make more than them. Instead of hating them, they go to lunch with them to get advise on how to improve their own situation. In short, they are the kind of people that make this country great.
 
Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
 
39 posts, read 59,569 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
You are clearly envious of anyone making what you consider "enough" money. Everyone sees that but you!!!

You were not even part of this conversation. You overheard someone discussing their salary among THEIR colleagues. He could very well have a legitimate complaint about his pay. Just because he may make "enough" money in your mind does not mean he should just shut up and take it.

I could kind of understand your point if you were the one he was complaining too. But you WERE NOT!!

You keep referring to these people as childish but YOU are the one easedropping on conversations and then going onto a message board to whine and complain about it. Talk about childish. You have been namecalling since this thread started. My kids do things like that.

Just because I make more money than the average person does not mean I should be walked all over to satisfy childish people like you.

With youf attitude you won't ever have to worry about making that kind of money. It will always be a fairytale to you.
Who said anyone needs to be "walked over"? And how dumb are some of you? Did you READ the OP? I WAS in the conversation! Where did I ever use the word "easedropping"???? I was sitting at the bar in a restaurant and was invited to be involved in the conversation. That right there proves what a snob you must be...while i'll keep dreaming of making 100K, you'll just keep on dreaming of having common sense. Wise up bro or your kids are going to have no respect for you in the future!
 
Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 7,919,845 times
Reputation: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Yes of course I would... 10.00 an hour is what, under 20K? Nobody can have a decent life on that. But if I couldn't find anything I would take it, keep my mouth shut, and work towards a better job. But 20K a year is basically poverty level... 70-100K plus is not! What's to complain about if your making DOUBLE the average American salary? I would be so grateful to make that when I know that there are millions who ARE only making 10.00 an hour and have poverty level lives. Your question is an epic fail sir!
OK, let me as a different question then (since you seemed to miss the point of my last example) I saw on another thread that you make $20/hr (which is $40,000/yr assuming 250 working days, 8 hours per day).

Suppose you walk into work today and your boss tells you you are going to make $15/hr, but you have to do the exact same amount of work. You still make $30,000/yr (which is better than 34% of American households, so far from poverty, especially since you are a single guy). Would you complain about the pay decrease? Would you be upset about it at all?

Last edited by hnsq; 04-26-2011 at 10:20 AM..
 
Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
 
624 posts, read 914,356 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Ok Mr. Smart guy you explain to me then , why would YOU have the right to complain if you were making 70-100K plus a year? I can't wait to read that!
Ok try to follow along.

If I work in a job where the average pay is 80K/yr and my pay is 70k/yr and I have the experience/education proof that I deserve 80k/yr but my company refuses to pay me then I have the right to discuss this issue in a public setting with my friends and colleagues.

Would I go to a group of people making 20/hr and discuss this. Obviously not because it appears it would be complaining when actually its not.

So lets take your example. You said you would have discussions about making 10/hr if you had your pay lowered because why? You don't feel its a fair wage and you couldn't live on that.

Now take your same discussioin to people making $6/hr and see what they say. They would say the same thing you are. How dare that guy have the right to complain about making 10/hr.

Just because you think 70-100k is rich doesn't make it so. I have three kids, my wife is not working, I have a house, a couple normal cars, 401k savings, college savings, bills, etc.....

One day you will understand (maybe) young padwan.
 
Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,147,229 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
OK, let me as a different question then. I saw on another thread that you make $20/hr (which is $40,000/yr assuming 250 working days, 8 hours per day).

Suppose you walk into work today and your boss tells you you are going to make $15/hr, but you have to do the exact same amount of work. You still make $30,000/yr (which is better than 34% of American households, so far from poverty, especially since you are a single guy). Would you complain about the pay decrease? Would you be upset about it?
Or you could even put it this way. Your boss adds a ton of new responsibilities to your position. Do you feel you have the right to ask for a higher salary? I'm in this predicament now. Would I be a bad person if I told my boss that I deserved a raise for taking on these duties even though I'm living somewhat comfortably now?
 
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM
 
624 posts, read 914,356 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Who said anyone needs to be "walked over"? And how dumb are some of you? Did you READ the OP? I WAS in the conversation! Where did I ever use the word "easedropping"???? I was sitting at the bar in a restaurant and was invited to be involved in the conversation. That right there proves what a snob you must be...while i'll keep dreaming of making 100K, you'll just keep on dreaming of having common sense. Wise up bro or your kids are going to have no respect for you in the future!
This what your OP said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Today I had a chance to listen in on a group lunch with workers from some big company and they were complaining about how much they were making!!!
Clearly you were not invited. Now your just trying to make it sound as if you were. So you were just invited into a conversation with a group of people from "some big company"

You are a real piece of work "Bro"

Any other part of the story you care to make up?

Exactly how did that go? "Hey you at the bar who we don't know. Would you care to join in on a converasation about what we get paid" You see how silly that sounds.
 
Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 7,919,845 times
Reputation: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Who said anyone needs to be "walked over"? And how dumb are some of you? Did you READ the OP? I WAS in the conversation! Where did I ever use the word "easedropping"???? I was sitting at the bar in a restaurant and was invited to be involved in the conversation. That right there proves what a snob you must be...while i'll keep dreaming of making 100K, you'll just keep on dreaming of having common sense. Wise up bro or your kids are going to have no respect for you in the future!
Since many of us are in that salary range already (I am in fact, the exact same age as you and am in that range), maybe you should listen to us rather than insulting us at every turn. Whatever we are doing, however we are acting, it has led to a higher salary than the one you have.

Personally, I try to emulate those more successful than me, but apparently you choose to insult them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top