Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:20 PM

98 posts, read 239,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I realize some people get 2 jobs just to make ends meet. I don't want to do that. And I don't think people should need to do that. In that scenario, you're essentially working your life away and getting paid peanuts. Where's the justice in that?

Society is only as successful as the poorest members. When people need to work 2 jobs just to get by, there's something wrong with that picture.

Since you live in an expensive area, maybe you're not understanding what I'm trying to say. I don't think everyone deserves a 70k job. I agree with the OP that 70k is a lot of money.

In my area, you can get by on $10/hour. Is $10/hour really too much for someone to ask for?
You remind me of my classmates in college who felt they deserve a certain pay. And what's so wrong with working more than 1 job?

I was working 2-3 minimum wage jobs while in college to pay for all living and school expenses. To claim that one needs at least $10/ hr to live sounds too entitled to me. One can live on much less than that.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:34 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,465,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Commenting on City_Data91's post.

"I realize some people get 2 jobs just to make ends meet. I don't want to do that. And I don't think people should need to do that. In that scenario, you're essentially working your life away and getting paid peanuts. Where's the justice in that?"

But people do need to do that from time to time. many people just can't make it on one job. Just because you don't want to is not anyone elses problem. The justice is that you may begin to realize that you chose the wrong path or need further training, or may need to move to another place with better opportunities. kind of why people from Mexico do all they can to get into the good ol'e USA.

"Society is only as successful as the poorest members. When people need to work 2 jobs just to get by, there's something wrong with that picture."

Should we make them rich then? Why should we pay people more? Who will cover the cost for that expence? We are paying plenty now for the current welfare state we live in. How much more do we need to give just because someone thinks that everyone is entitled to make more money? People should only get what they are worth. Their is no value in paying people more money just because some think that it is the right thing to do. Besides that it is an insult to those of us that did what it took to get where we are. Lets say that everyone decided to do nothing because they would get a "living wage" job anyway. That would end up being a society that fails.

"Since you live in an expensive area, maybe you're not understanding what I'm trying to say. I don't think everyone deserves a 70k job. I agree with the OP that 70k is a lot of money."

No one deserves any amount of money. No one deserves even minumum wage. This is about your first statement within this thread that I agree with. Do you think that my employer put an add in the paper and said they have a job that pays $70,000 and who ever shows up first gets the job? I stareted working here because they had a need and I was able to fill that need. They were looking for someone that had my background. When I applied for this company back in 1998 36 others applied for the job. Only 3 of the 36 had the background that they were looking for. I do work with people that make a lot less. I also work with people that make a lot more. Still no jobs are handed out unless a person qualifies and can fill a need.

"In my area, you can get by on $10/hour. Is $10/hour really too much for someone to ask for?"

That is good that you can get by on $10 an hour. Around here the In&Out hanburger place pays that much. I wish we could "get by" on $10 an hour. Still if I had to I would work 3 jobs to make it in life if I had to. By the way what have you done for yourself to fill a need in one of those jobs? What have you done to become a valuable asset to an employer?
I noticed how you mentioned welfare. Welfare just means someone else is living off your tax dollars. If people can't make ends meet, they go on welfare. Why are you okay with people going on welfare but you're not okay with employers raising the pay? Either way, society is paying extra for them.

What do I have to offer an employer, you ask? I have a high school diploma, which is more than some people can say. I also have some college. I've learned a skill in college and I plan on learning more about that skill by the time I graduate.

I was talking with a friend today and he said he's excited to graduate so he can throw his degree at an employer and say "give me a job"

Consider this scenario:

Someone works full time at a fast food joint in your area making 10 dollars an hour. That's about 20k a year. Since they need more to make it in your area, they work a 2nd full time job for 10 dollars an hour (20k a year). When all is said and done, they make 40k a year (I think that's enough to barely get by in your area?)

How about another scenario:

The same person only needs to work one job because the fast food joint raised their pay to $20/hour. They still end up making 40k a year, but they only need one job to do it. Either way, they're getting the same amount of money. And if they only need one job, then that means their second job has an opening and another person can get a job (rather than having 1 person hogging up 2 jobs). I think this is the best scenario for everyone.

Just to make this relevant to the thread, the whole point I'm trying to make on these posts is how some people don't make enough money to get by, so people making 70k-100k should count themselves lucky and stop complaining.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,224,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muochoir View Post
You remind me of my classmates in college who felt they deserve a certain pay. And what's so wrong with working more than 1 job?

I was working 2-3 minimum wage jobs while in college to pay for all living and school expenses. To claim that one needs at least $10/ hr to live sounds too entitled to me. One can live on much less than that.
South east asians who make jeans and other apperal do it all the time and work in the rice pattys to eat, so is that what the USA should become, where most of us work 3 jobs to eat while the upper 1% have helicopters and yachts. It would make sense for a CEO to say something like this because he may want all his little peasants under the thumb but why would a fello peasant say this, unless you are at a slave master level now and are trying to validate working your self to death just becasue you got lucky.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:56 PM

596 posts, read 889,355 times
What do I have to offer an employer, you ask? I have a high school diploma, which is more than some people can say. I also have some college. I've learned a skill in college and I plan on learning more about that skill by the time I graduate.

You've mentioned your HS diploma several times in this thread. My mother told me never to compare yourself to the worst, compare yourself to the best of your competition and you will be better off.

I was talking with a friend today and he said he's excited to graduate so he can throw his degree at an employer and say "give me a job"

Consider this scenario:

Someone works full time at a fast food joint in your area making 10 dollars an hour. That's about 20k a year. Since they need more to make it in your area, they work a 2nd full time job for 10 dollars an hour (20k a year). When all is said and done, they make 40k a year (I think that's enough to barely get by in your area?)

The same person only needs to work one job because the fast food joint raised their pay to $20/hour. They still end up making 40k a year, but they only need one job to do it. Either way, they're getting the same amount of money. And if they only need one job, then that means their second job has an opening and another person can get a job (rather than having 1 person hogging up 2 jobs). I think this is the best scenario for everyone.

The problem with your scenario is that fast food would no longer be cheap. Nobody will want to pay $12 for a hamburger, so the entire industry would disappear overnight.

Fast food is NOT MEANT to support a family. Usually, it is for college students, or a part-time 2nd job. Also, when I worked fast food, I was making minimum wage for 3 months, after I proved myself, I got a raise. I got a promotion after 6 months. Unless you are a complete moron, you shouldn't be making minimum wage for more than a year.

People with a lot more life experience and wisdom than you have been trying to explain over and over that the world owes you NOTHING. You will have to earn everything you get in this world. Stop listening to your tenured professors. They are the only ones that don't have to compete in an open marketplace.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,322,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I noticed how you mentioned welfare. Welfare just means someone else is living off your tax dollars. If people can't make ends meet, they go on welfare. Why are you okay with people going on welfare but you're not okay with employers raising the pay? Either way, society is paying extra for them.

Consider this scenario:

Just to make this relevant to the thread, the whole point I'm trying to make on these posts is how some people don't make enough money to get by, so people making 70k-100k should count themselves lucky and stop complaining.
But those two jobs are not worth the pay. I would bet that they are not even worth the $10 an hour rate. Maybe you don't understand how business works. A company can not afford to pay people unless they are making a profit. To make a profit the company would need to raise their prices to make up for the lost revenue. If they raise their costs will people continue to buy there? Lets say that McDonalds was forced to pay you $20 an hour. They either have to make sure you sell more food or they need to increase the cost of the food. Someone is paying for that increase in all those employees pay. That someone is the consumer who buys the food.

here is what we can do, make all the employers pay a "living wage". What would happen? They will all raise their prices and guess what, now you with your $20 an hour will not be able to buy the food that McDonalds is serving. But why stop at $20 an hour? Why not $100 an hour? Where do we stop at? Still someone has to cover that increase. Like I said it is the consumer who pays the tab.

Having a high school diploma is a given. How is having one make you special? I don't know anyone in a job that pays that does not have one of those. People that don't complete high school are those that end up on our welfare roles.

Oh and I never said it was OK for people to go on welfare. I would dismantle that program if I could. It is the worse kind of program to have in this great nation of ours. We don't have a need for any entitlement program. It is time to eliminate all of them. The welfare program does nothing to help people get out of poverty. What it does is keep them in poverty.

I have no problem with employers raising the pay of those that produce. First you need to prove yourself though. I remember reading stories of people that would visit a store or business and offer to work for get this Free. One story was of a kid that was able to show that he could do the same amount of work as two of the current stock boys. He offered to work for free for a week. By the end of the week the store manager let 3 stock boys go, the new kid was that good. You see what happens in a lot of lower wage places is that young kids like to spend lots of time talking to friends and not getting their work done. Why would an employer want to pay for someone like that?

Old 04-27-2011, 04:10 PM

39 posts, read 151,175 times
SactoBankerGirl you come off as a complete snob in almost every post. I'm willing to bet your a backstabbing Jezebel at your job and that's how you got where you are. Can't wait to see what becomes of you if we hit a depression and you get laid off... Chances are you hit the corner and do what you know best, F-People for money!

Old 04-27-2011, 04:14 PM

596 posts, read 889,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
SactoBankerGirl you come off as a complete snob in almost every post. I'm willing to bet your a backstabbing Jezebel at your job and that's how you got where you are. Can't wait to see what becomes of you if we hit a depression and you get laid off... Chances are you hit the corner and do what you know best, F-People for money!
You better watch your posts if you want to make it to 40 posts here. Moderators don't really tolerate personal insults.

If you really want to learn more about me, look through my posts, I have nothing to hide.

Also, maybe you'll learn something....like how to spell and use proper grammar.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:18 PM

98 posts, read 239,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post

Fast food is NOT MEANT to support a family. Usually, it is for college students, or a part-time 2nd job. Also, when I worked fast food, I was making minimum wage for 3 months, after I proved myself, I got a raise. I got a promotion after 6 months. Unless you are a complete moron, you shouldn't be making minimum wage for more than a year.
I agree. The minimum wage is for those who are just starting. I never heard of anyone who stayed at that income.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM

39 posts, read 151,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
You better watch your posts if you want to make it to 40 posts here. Moderators don't really tolerate personal insults.

If you really want to learn more about me, look through my posts, I have nothing to hide.

Also, maybe you'll learn something....like how to spell and use proper grammar.
Thanks Grandma!

Old 04-27-2011, 04:32 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,465,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
But those two jobs are not worth the pay. I would bet that they are not even worth the $10 an hour rate. Maybe you don't understand how business works. A company can not afford to pay people unless they are making a profit. To make a profit the company would need to raise their prices to make up for the lost revenue. If they raise their costs will people continue to buy there? Lets say that McDonalds was forced to pay you $20 an hour. They either have to make sure you sell more food or they need to increase the cost of the food. Someone is paying for that increase in all those employees pay. That someone is the consumer who buys the food.

here is what we can do, make all the employers pay a "living wage". What would happen? They will all raise their prices and guess what, now you with your $20 an hour will not be able to buy the food that McDonalds is serving. But why stop at $20 an hour? Why not $100 an hour? Where do we stop at? Still someone has to cover that increase. Like I said it is the consumer who pays the tab.

Having a high school diploma is a given. How is having one make you special? I don't know anyone in a job that pays that does not have one of those. People that don't complete high school are those that end up on our welfare roles.

Oh and I never said it was OK for people to go on welfare. I would dismantle that program if I could. It is the worse kind of program to have in this great nation of ours. We don't have a need for any entitlement program. It is time to eliminate all of them. The welfare program does nothing to help people get out of poverty. What it does is keep them in poverty.

I have no problem with employers raising the pay of those that produce. First you need to prove yourself though. I remember reading stories of people that would visit a store or business and offer to work for get this Free. One story was of a kid that was able to show that he could do the same amount of work as two of the current stock boys. He offered to work for free for a week. By the end of the week the store manager let 3 stock boys go, the new kid was that good. You see what happens in a lot of lower wage places is that young kids like to spend lots of time talking to friends and not getting their work done. Why would an employer want to pay for someone like that?
I don't seriously think fast food joints should pay $20/hour. I was just using that example to make a point.

And I have more than just a high school diploma. I have 61 college credits.

And you're right that welfare just helps people stay in poverty. That's why I don't want to go on welfare. But some of those welfare people would stay in poverty even if we did away with welfare. As it is, we have non-welfare people that live in poverty.

And you ask a good question...Why would an employer want to hire someone like that? I wonder the same thing. I wonder why employers hire people my age and younger that just want to goof off and talk to their friends, but they don't hire me.

I had a chance at a $13/hour job my first semester in college, but I couldn't do it because it didn't fit into my schedule. I was never offered the job, but they showed interest in me. If I was possibly worth $13/hour my first semester, I think I definitely deserve at least that much once I graduate.

I also had a chance at an $8/hour job at the beginning of college but I said no because it sounded iffy (some lady pulled over on the side of the street and offered me a job).

And I saw a $10/hour job that didn't require any experience on craigslist but didn't apply because it was a full time job. If I wasn't in college, I probably would of applied.

These are just some examples of jobs I could get if the circumstances were right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.