Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some insight into this field. Some places I heard I could get a job when the economy recovers are:

Child protective services, Elderly protective services, group homes, child day care, Mental health has all kinds of jobs for undergraduates. Also, alcohol treatment programs, Teen progams, angencies that deal with the homeless just to name a few.

And also Salvation Army and Red Cross.

In my area, we have a mental hospital and asylum. Which offers jobs and we have a decent homeless population.

Sorry everyone for all my posts. But I am trying to find something that sticks. And btw, my dad's degree is psy+sociology and a masters in family consumer sciences with a concentration mentally disabled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:41 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
You would be better off making up a bunch of different names and asking these things or making ONE big post with all of your hopes and dreams in it.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
You would be better off making up a bunch of different names and asking these things or making ONE big post with all of your hopes and dreams in it.
Seriously. This kid is all over the place and seems to be just wasting people's time. Usually people have a general idea of what they want to go into, but this person in particular is just making a post for literally every possible career s/he can think of.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:13 PM

Yeah, but this way people can see the title of the thread and instantly can tell me about their experiences in that career. And most people tend to cruise by threads they see have been answered or topic doesn't apply to them.

And if you don't want to help me out then don't post.

I promise this is my last one.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:18 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,973 times
^ You can post as many threads as you like, I just don't think this style of choosing a career is going to benefit you. I definitely think you need some guidance and should talk to a career counselor. You should also know that when you start college, you don't have to immediately sign up for a major. Some people take two years of prerequisites/general ed classes before they decide what they want to study.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
^ You can post as many threads as you like, I just don't think this style of choosing a career is going to benefit you. I definitely think you need some guidance and should talk to a career counselor. You should also know that when you start college, you don't have to immediately sign up for a major. Some people take two years of prerequisites/general ed classes before they decide what they want to study.
Well, you see the thing is I will have my 60 done with an AA this Spring. And I applied to schools and decided the major I liked had too much and would require me to work in an urban area or larger city which was city planning. And when I actually looked into city planning it seemed boring because the projects I get stuck with can be boring.

So now I have to decide what I will apply for by August to apply for Spring admissions and take any pre-reqs in Spring.

I would need to take Statistics (which I can handle), Human Psychology, Social Psychology, and General Psychology and I will have all my lower division classes for PSYch out of the way.

And I am plenty qualified for psych too with having all the required and desired classes out of the way.

And I am planning on shadowing and volunteering in that field next week to see if that's what I really want to do.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
I personally don't see a problem with asking questions about careers you could be interested in. My interests in careers are extremely varied, too. Sometimes it's just hard to nail it down. My grandpa just retired from social work a year ago. They are usually looking for social workers. Why? The pay is low, and the work is hard.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
A 4-year degree in psych will get you a job as my assistant (I'm a psych RN). Also known as "counselor" or "attendant", it's good experience for applying for an advanced degree- not in research, but in MSW or RN or something.
The social workers who are so burned out and poorly paid are usually the 4-year degree people who work at the bottom rung of social services, usually for the state. Very tough jobs, way too much political pressure from above and no future. You need a master's degree (and usually a license, with your MSW) to get a decent job as a social worker.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A 4-year degree in psych will get you a job as my assistant (I'm a psych RN). Also known as "counselor" or "attendant", it's good experience for applying for an advanced degree- not in research, but in MSW or RN or something.
The social workers who are so burned out and poorly paid are usually the 4-year degree people who work at the bottom rung of social services, usually for the state. Very tough jobs, way too much political pressure from above and no future. You need a master's degree (and usually a license, with your MSW) to get a decent job as a social worker.
My grandpa had his master's and still had nothing good to say about being a social worker. It was a very difficult job on him and all those he worked with.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 AM

Teen programs and homeless programs and we also have a mental hospital in the area. I am interested in both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment