Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:47 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times

Advertisements

Of course if people whitewash their gaps, that kind of scheit won't happen. I think the truth tellers subconsciously enjoy being abused, as it creates drama in their lives and they get attention. When people insist on sticking to useless and outdated principles that negatively impact their quality of life and self esteem, that's obvious stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Of course if people whitewash their gaps, that kind of scheit won't happen. I think the truth tellers subconsciously enjoy being abused, as it creates drama in their lives and they get attention. When people insist on sticking to useless and outdated principles that negatively impact their quality of life and self esteem, that's obvious stupidity.

So honesty is an outdated principle now is it? Huh, thats interesting. I hope you get fired for lying on your resume, if you even have a job

Old 06-23-2011, 06:39 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Wishing me evil won't make it happen, don't worry. Does wishing someone bad you feel better now? You're pathetic...Yes, honesty is an outdated principle. The employers lie to us about salaries, benefits, job descriptions, they lie about everything under the sun in the name of profit. But that's ok with you.There's nothing wrong with that.They also interview for jobs that don't exist or they have no intention filling. But that's ok too with you I gather. If we were living in an ideal world, honesty would work. Some of us only level the playing field. I lie if need be to put food on my table; if you want to have an Inquisition fit about it, go ahead. What do I care. I live my life according to my rules. You can live your life by yours.Don't expect others to live by your rules.

(God...here we go again...? Doesn't the (double standard) Morality Inquisition ever take a rest? Another for the ignore list.)

Old 06-23-2011, 07:01 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,191 times
Quote:
Wishing me evil won't make it happen, don't worry. Does wishing someone bad you feel better now? You're pathetic...Yes, honesty is an outdated principle. The employers lie to us about salaries, benefits, job descriptions, they lie about everything under the sun in the name of profit. But that's ok with you.There's nothing wrong with that.They also interview for jobs that don't exist or they have no intention filling. But that's ok too with you I gather. If we were living in an ideal world, honesty would work. Some of us only level the playing field. I lie if need be to put food on my table; if you want to have an Inquisition fit about it, go ahead. What do I care. I live my life according to my rules. You can live your life by yours.Don't expect others to live by your rules.

(God...here we go again...? Doesn't the (double standard) Morality Inquisition ever take a rest? Another for the ignore list.)
Ya, employers DO lie about jobs, benefits, and everything else you said..but we are not them..we are employees who have to live by different rules. My "rules" will always work, I may not get the job the first time out b/c I haven't lied like you, but when you get caught in six months, then I'll have your job b/c I told the truth and you didn't.

If you have to lie to put food on the table then there is something seriously wrong with you. Go out, get education, gain experience, volunteer to shorten that gap. I know people can lie their way into and out of anything, have been doing it for years, but society always puts them back into line.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:

Agreed.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 PM

12,772 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Anyone still unemployed after 2 or more yrs? What have you been doing to make money?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,155 times
I guess I would fall into the "underemployed" file. Im working for $12 less a hour then before i was laid off, and I am only working part time.
I spend most of my time searching for full time work, local job boards, indeed, careerbuilder, monster etc. If anyone has any other job boards they find useful I would love to know about them, so far these aren't working out for me.
I was laid off 09-2010 so I am coming up on 2 years. I would do almost anything to be working full time at a acceptable rate.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
I've been unemployed for 30 months now and have a B.S. in Civil Engineering from a top 25 university. My 15th interview will be this week and I will keep plugging away until I get an offer in the civil engineering field. I have applied to other positions, but haven't received any interest for potential interviews. I can't blame the employers as I wouldn't hire a civil engineer to be an office assistant or accounting technician either. Besides, I went to school to be an engineer and I am confident I will land a job sooner or later.
I have two engineer friends who were able to find jobs teaching math at for profit universities. Not ideal but it's a job and the pay is more than u/e.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Yes and its partially my fault. I should have started looking right away. My husband and I were struggling in our hometown and after his paychecks started bouncing and we never knew if we had medical ins. (found out the owner of the company wasn't paying the premiums on a regular basis) we needed to look for employment elsewhere. I was in school full time and working part time in retail after losing my job a few years before. We relocated for a job for my husband. He has always been the bread winner and it was a job opportunity we couldnt turn away from. I spent the first year finishing up my degree on line and getting the family settled while my husband focused on his new job which is very demanding.

I got my degree and started looking for work and realized there it is not a good market here for me. Either I don't have enough experience or enough education. I decided to go on for another degree since we have established ourselves here and just started applying for anything I qualified for. I had one interview at a local college for a part time position working 13 hrs a week. Basically it was answering phones and answering student questions. I was rejected due to the fact I am not Microsoft Certified. Had 2 interviews in retail. One told me since I had a degree I probably won't stay. Second interview I was told I was not hyper enough and not a good fit for their organization. I have been unemployed for 2 full yrs (actively seeking employment) and before that worked part time in retail which doesn't seem to offer much appeal. I started freelancing and don't make much money at all. Now I think what is hurting me is that I am self employed and that is probably considered worthless as well. I have been asking for internships and no one replies. I had one company string me along for about 3 months saying yes but would never set a concrete date. Finally they stopped communicating with me altogether. A year later the company folded so I guess that had something to do with it. I am now wondering if I should apply for jobs out of state, live with a relative for a year to get more experience on my resume and commute home on the weekends. I feel the longer I am sitting idle the worse I am making my situation.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
They call in people over here for job interviews whilst having chosen the person they'll hire all along. It's a shame how they waste people's time and give them false hope like that. But corruption is an everyday thing when things are bad. I saw it done, my supervisor knew the boss and she later bragged to everyone how she got in because she knew him and he promised her the job. 15 people were interviewed for that job just to make it look ligit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment