Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,103 times

Advertisements

Yeah, facebook even saves instant message conversations. I've seen some come up form back in 2007-2009.

I'm glad I only say things like, "Nice eyebrows" on there.

I only recently reactivated mine and got rid of some tagged party pics I had, since they finally had that feature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb1514 View Post
Why would I? It's illegal to open someone mail right? Then the same for someone online mail! especially if someone loses their job over that. That's my ****ing business not his!
I believe its also illegal for people to hack accounts. There was recently a story in Chicago burbs where a teachers account was hacked by studnets and they all got charged.

Problem is your friend let him use her account. Sure maybe she didn't say yeah you can read my personal messeges but she let him use it so though he was nosy he didn't do anything illegal.

Also, maybe I didn't read closely enough but how do you know he read it? Did she see him? Sounds kinda fishy sounds like she may have told or showed him as unless she caught him red handed reading it she wouldn't know.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is a federal offense to open up regular mail. When you put all our business out on the Internet it is there for all to see.

Why couldn't you have just waited and discussed this at home or as another poster suggested over a beer?

You sound very young, I don't get the mindset to have everything posted online. Everything has to be right away, couldn't wait to discuss it in private.

People who use Facebook have gotten fired over comments they have posted. Employers go on there to see if a job candidate has things like "party girl".

Even the police go on there now if someone gets arrested for things like drunk driving when the driver has injured or killed someone.

There is a case in FL right now where a woman drove drunk and on her Facebook page there are pictures of her partying and talking about drinking.
They also just recently caught a bank robber b/c the idiot was wearing the same clothes in facebook pics.

The Mandalay Bay or Bellagio or whatever it was robber got caught through facebook as well.

On a side note with privacy and stuff in Michigan on a routine traffic stop police are using these computers to download all the data off your computer, scary big brother type stuff, google it.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
It's illegal to open someone else's mail, and it's illegal to hack someone's account. But it's not illegal to let someone access your account by sharing your password with someone. And since your boss obtained the information legally and none of it pertains to being part of a protected class--you have no case against him whatsoever.

It is incredibly poor judgement of your coworker to share her account and password with the boss. If he wanted to check up on people for hiring practices, he could have just created his own account. But there's not really much you can do about it except live and learn. THe things other people do can come back to hurt you, so be careful whom you trust.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 AM

87 posts, read 168,593 times
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm just as guilty when it comes to sharing my facebook with him too. I have nothing to hide. I know roommate did not tell her about it because I let him do the same thing it just so happens be this time was bad timing he decided be to nosy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment