U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 AM

19,081 posts, read 11,746,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
No
I mean no offense saying this, but given your situation I find that to be surprising. Is it due to your age or perhaps some physical limitations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 AM

26,362 posts, read 53,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Would you work 12 hours a day, six days a week and seven hours on the seventh day for $200 per day?

You can wear anything you want, but cannot leave for lunch or take regular breaks. Most of the time you are working with one other person but occasionally you are working alone.

Just wondering what you all think about it.

20yrsinBranson

I wouldn't do that for $500/day. Life is too sort.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 AM

7,961 posts, read 4,351,302 times
That's only about $17 an hour for an unsustainablly grueling schedule. No thanks.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,226,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Would you work 12 hours a day, six days a week and seven hours on the seventh day for $200 per day?

You can wear anything you want, but cannot leave for lunch or take regular breaks. Most of the time you are working with one other person but occasionally you are working alone.

20yrsinBranson
I have been doing that for a lot less money. Husband unemployed for over two years. I have to feed the family somehow. I am working a full time job (very stressful) that also gives me overtime and a part time job (not quite as stressful). I work 7 days a week. Most days are around 12 - 18 hours. I am looking at it as a temporary solution to a problem.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:27 PM

14,716 posts, read 16,909,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
$200 a day really isn't that much money. Is it a strenuous job or easy? If its easy 7 days though a pain and not convenient woudln't be that bad, if its a challenidng job you need some time to rest.

Also, would you get say a 4 day weekend every 2 weeks working a crazy schedule like that? get any vacation time? etc?
It's an easy sit-on-my-butt kinda job.

No days off. Ever. We (husband and I) worked Easter and we will work Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and Christmas too! LOL

And yes, we own a small business, which is the reason for the crazy hours.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM

14,716 posts, read 16,909,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Are you doing this right now? If I remember correctly, you had recently acquired a businsess. Of course it requires a lot of time, but you may get burned out very fast.

Thats just shy of an 80 hour week. I work almost every day, but I average about 55 hours and even that doesn't leave me much free time.
We go home, eat and go to bed. We're up at 7 am an off to work by 8. We do lounge around on Sunday because we don't have to be there until noon. But that usually means cleaning the house before we leave.

The worst part is that we cannot have a garden this year because we cannot take care of it. Thank goodness for farmers markets.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-26-2011, 02:45 PM

7,674 posts, read 13,503,700 times
For my own business, yes, I would do it. But it would be tolerable because I would know that over time, things would change. I might be able to hire some help now and then to lighten the load. Big difference between slaving away for the man and having your own gig.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,907,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I mean no offense saying this, but given your situation I find that to be surprising. Is it due to your age or perhaps some physical limitations?
Quote:

Both and more. I know I need regular breaks, I have to be able to drink and eat at regular intervals. And working 6-7 days a week like that for someone who's 60 years old would be considered not healthy. I worked 12's for many years at a very physically demanding job and I know I could no longer do what the OP is describing, it would be a death sentence for me.

Oh and btw, there are lots of new studies coming out about nurses who work 12's and they are finding out that the errors are rising, health issues are rising and a plethera of other issues that are not only a detriment to the patients they care for but for their on health. One of my biggest ******* about the USA is the culture of working long unhealthy hours. In euro cultures there is a much better work/life balance.

Corp's don't care about their employee's - grind them up and spit them out. A real slave labor mentality.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:02 PM

775 posts, read 1,879,690 times
Nope. Life is too short.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:19 PM

19,081 posts, read 11,746,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Both and more. I know I need regular breaks, I have to be able to drink and eat at regular intervals. And working 6-7 days a week like that for someone who's 60 years old would be considered not healthy. I worked 12's for many years at a very physically demanding job and I know I could no longer do what the OP is describing, it would be a death sentence for me.

Oh and btw, there are lots of new studies coming out about nurses who work 12's and they are finding out that the errors are rising, health issues are rising and a plethera of other issues that are not only a detriment to the patients they care for but for their on health. One of my biggest ******* about the USA is the culture of working long unhealthy hours. In euro cultures there is a much better work/life balance.

Corp's don't care about their employee's - grind them up and spit them out. A real slave labor mentality.
I agree. For me, it would be a last resort, no choice kind of thing. I'd do what I had to. But, age and physical limitations can play a role, which is what I figured when I read your post.

eta: now that I've read 20yrs response, I see this is a matter of being a business owner. That's just how it goes if you own/run a business. I've owned a few retail gigs in my time and it takes all your waking hours. Hopefully, it will do well so she can hire some help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment