U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,478,714 times

Advertisements

If I were at a point in life where I had to take a job like that I would let my condo go back to the bank and put all the money in the bank and look for jobs out of state and live on my wifes income in an efficency appartment. I woudl only work a job like that just long enough to build up a savings to do something else.

And as another poster said 200$ a day is not much money, especially at 12 hrs a day, if it were 40$/hr for 12 hrs thats more like it. Is this under the table work, if so thats a smokin deal because no taxes. I would also have a pretty big issue with working sundays so that could be a deal breaker unless I was so desperate I was on the verge of being totally destitute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM

6,377 posts, read 10,496,338 times
Not at this point in my life, just doing the math I made a shade over $600/day last month as a W2 employee (ie no stress finding the next client/job) but I still had 2 days off a week. I work a lot but I am still in my 20's w/ no kids so I figure why not do it now.

Several years ago? Probably, but not 7 days a week. I can't do that. In my life I've very rarely worked 7 days a week and would only do it if there was a (quick) end in sight or I absolutely had to do it.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,478,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Not at this point in my life, just doing the math I made a shade over $600/day last month as a W2 employee (ie no stress finding the next client/job) but I still had 2 days off a week. I work a lot but I am still in my 20's w/ no kids so I figure why not do it now.

Several years ago? Probably, but not 7 days a week. I can't do that. In my life I've very rarely worked 7 days a week and would only do it if there was a (quick) end in sight or I absolutely had to do it.
What do you do for 600$ a day, sounds like I need a new profession from engineering. Thats like 70$/hr.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,510,440 times
Doesn't matter how much I make now vs the $200 in the OP. I value my "leisure time" too much to work OT unless absolutely necessary.

Some people may feel "what is an extra 1 hour of work?" My feeling is that I have 5-6 hours from the time I get home till when I go to bed. Only 3 of those I get to spend with my kid. For every 1 hour extra I work, that's 33% less time with my kid and 20% or so less overall "leisure time." Trust me, it isn't leisurely anyway, but its still "my time."

Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 PM

8,487 posts, read 14,399,278 times
Just a minute folks. This is a business she OWNS! That means if she wants a snack or a drink at her desk, she can have it. If she needs an hour off to go to the dentist, it can be arranged. If she needs to take a mental vacation for a half hour, she can. She is the boss. She owns the company.

This is a whole lot more bearable than working for someone else.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,977,424 times
I couldn't sustain it for very long. I'd be surprised if I even managed a month.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 AM

14,851 posts, read 18,057,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Just a minute folks. This is a business she OWNS! That means if she wants a snack or a drink at her desk, she can have it. If she needs an hour off to go to the dentist, it can be arranged. If she needs to take a mental vacation for a half hour, she can. She is the boss. She owns the company.

This is a whole lot more bearable than working for someone else.
It does make a huge difference, believe me. We do eat our meals at the store and do our laundry here (lucky we have a washer/dryer on premises, lol).

We have a 5 year plan. In that time we hope to pay off all our debts and become debt free. We will then sell the business (hopefully) and be able to enjoy what is left of our life while working just enough to pay for taxes, food and gasoline.

Anyway, that's the plan. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM

28,011 posts, read 22,259,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Would you work 12 hours a day, six days a week and seven hours on the seventh day for $200 per day?

You can wear anything you want, but cannot leave for lunch or take regular breaks. Most of the time you are working with one other person but occasionally you are working alone.

Just wondering what you all think about it.

20yrsinBranson
I'm thinking, "Hell, no, are you crazy????"

Why would anyone?

I suppose if someone were desperate and need ANY kind of way to make some money due to debt/losing a house or something, they might.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 PM

28,011 posts, read 22,259,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It's an easy sit-on-my-butt kinda job.

No days off. Ever. We (husband and I) worked Easter and we will work Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and Christmas too! LOL

And yes, we own a small business, which is the reason for the crazy hours.

20yrsinBranson
AH, lol, that explains it.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 PM

2,887 posts, read 3,582,037 times
It sounds like pretty easy money, but that aside, if I really had to, I would & I'd learn to like it (in case I didn't care for it too much). It depends on what my situation is in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment