Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
The attitude that simply being from NYC makes you more qualified or a better worker is an attitude that is really only welcomed in....NYC. Everywhere else, it's meaningless at best and a turnoff at worst.
My experience was different. It may just be coincidental, but I received a 50% pay raise moving from NYC to a "smaller city" in 2008. I've been in the loop for further company hires since then. The general feeling is that the company has to pay a premium to "lure the talent" away from big cities.

If you don't carry the "big city elitist" attitude around, you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM

96 posts, read 312,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettleblack View Post
Slim04 - I buy that....I didn't think about accounting firms in that way.....I guess my question would better pertain to investment banks
I can't speak to investment banks specifically, but generally, I have found that it is difficult to convince people that I will make my permanent home in the new city. I don't want to insult anyone on this board by naming cities, so let's just say that I currently live in what many people would consider an exciting, highly desirable city, and have been here for over five years now. There are some open positions in a city that a lot of people would consider less desirable, and the field I am in is getting stronger in that city. I have had no luck in even getting interviews in the second city, despite actually having lived there for a little while several years ago, because people don't believe I will actually move there and stay there long enough to make hiring me worthwhile. And for the moment, there are enough local candidates available where they don't need to relocate people in order to fill positions.

So I don't believe it is automatically easier, unless you can demonstrate that you have very strong ties to the new city and the new city has run out of local talent.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,277 times
In the industry I work in, experience in certain regions and with certain agencies/organizations is more important than if they are coming from corporate headquarters.

It's really about the value you add to the company. If you can make money for the company then you will be desirable anywhere.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
The attitude that simply being from NYC makes you more qualified or a better worker is an attitude that is really only welcomed in....NYC. Everywhere else, it's meaningless at best and a turnoff at worst.

Whether or not you will have an easier time than others in finding a job in Cleveland really depends on your work skills and whether or not the marketplace is looking for those skills. Your zip code is not a skill.
This.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 PM

162 posts, read 886,131 times
Pittsburgh is actually the base for a lot of companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment