Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times

Advertisements

I have many years of experience and have been forced to take a position in which I am overqualified. Most of my peers are much younger than I am.
The type of work environment (call center) is not something I have been accustomed to since my 20's.
I am being told what to do at all times and is frustrating. My last job I could pretty much do what I wanted. What is best way to deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:32 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Get out as soon as possible. If you've been in a position of autonomy, being relegated to this situation will drive you insane.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
I resigned for a different position.

The former micromanager boss was a nice person and was very knowledgeable and he meant well at all times. But he micromanaged everyone on the team. Even when they had everything under control and were doing a great job. He was a workaholic and wanted to direct the tiny details of what everyone did, and be involved in everything.

He would have 5 or more IM windows open at his desk at any given time...with each IM window having multiple people that were IMing back and forth on work issues . He would pull you into these IM sessions at all times, every day, no matter what you were doing. Alway calling you into conference calls at the last minute and assigning new tasks and making them urgent. It was mass chaos.

He wanted to be in the deep details of everything, 100% of the time. And give detailed intructions to everyone. And make everything urgent even if it shouldn't be urgent. He didn't seem to plan well so just passed around tasks at the last minute. Part of the problem was that he would not delegate start-to-end tasks/ownership to individual team members. Instead, he would just pass out orders and usually it was about something you just got wind of 2 minutes ago, when he knew about it for 2 months.

Last edited by sware2cod; 08-23-2013 at 09:52 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 10:04 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
There's not much else you can do aside from finding a new position.

I am in the same boat with my current job. My direct supervisor is a micro manager and has proven to be incompetent at times. I don't like her, but I like the perks of my job so I deal with it (by cursing her under my breath ).

Tips I have heard or read about is to keep them in the loop about everything you are working on. In other words, beat them to the punch. So they're not hounding you about every little detail, provide them with updates ahead of time. The key here really is to manage your manager.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:01 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I have many years of experience and have been forced to take a position in which I am overqualified. Most of my peers are much younger than I am.
The type of work environment (call center) is not something I have been accustomed to since my 20's.
I am being told what to do at all times and is frustrating. My last job I could pretty much do what I wanted. What is best way to deal with this?
Sounds similar to my office job. Whenever we receive calls, our manager has been increasingly hovering over our shoulders within the past two months. I don't remember it ever being this bad before. Worse, when we get off the phone, he always asks us individually "what happened." Seriously, if I have questions or issues, I will be sure to ask you. It's gotten to the point where I dread receiving a phone call because I don't want him to come up behind me.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:59 PM

153 posts, read 121,080 times
It's the norm for call centers. This environment will be soul sucking for you if you're not used to it.

Keep looking for something else. You could probably get a temp job for the same pay with the flexibility to go on interviews, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment