Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times

Advertisements

I think in this present climate, it's become more important than ever to make sure you have a 'life' outside work. Join a book club, take a walk in the park, take a cooking/pottery/knitting class, whatever floats your boat.

I don't like my job at present either, but I have to provide for my family. As it is, I consider myself a husband and father foremost; that's my occupation. My job is a means for me to make money to do the things I like to do: travel, going to dinner and movies, taking classes. We need to get to a point where we start defining ourselves by 'who we are', not 'what we do' ( for work).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I think in this present climate, it's become more important than ever to make sure you have a 'life' outside work. Join a book club, take a walk in the park, take a cooking/pottery/knitting class, whatever floats your boat.

I don't like my job at present either, but I have to provide for my family. As it is, I consider myself a husband and father foremost; that's my occupation. My job is a means for me to make money to do the things I like to do: travel, going to dinner and movies, taking classes. We need to get to a point where we start defining ourselves by 'who we are', not 'what we do' ( for work).

Great Post. My job is not my dream job but it's not a fast food joint with low wages and it allows me to pay bils, save money, and enjoy the things I like to do outside work

Old 05-01-2011, 06:25 PM

268 posts, read 391,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Well I'm not going to create a big list. Use google and you will find plenty. I will give one example from where I live. Over the past two years they have added nearly 7000 jobs. Our housing prices gained in value this year and our unemployment rate is expected to drop 2-3% this year. Our home prices are expected to gain again as well. They are adding around 1500 more jobs this year already. And yes this is all private sector.

I know in many cities it is bad but it does not mean its bad everywhere like you seem to want to say.
I Googled it. Unemployment claims rose by an “Unexpected” 25,000 last month.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Exactly lots of people on here want to make themselves feel better and say it's bad everywhere.
There are also lots of People who chose to burry their heads in the sand. They convince themselves that although the housing market is worse than the great depression, while everyone else’s home is depreciating theirs is going up in value.

People are settling. McDonalds recently turned away 938,000 eager job applicants.

And yes,the job market IS bad everywhere. If you have a job, be grateful. But don’t kid yourself into thinking you have job security. Nobody does.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
There are also lots of People who chose to burry their heads in the sand. They convince themselves that although the housing market is worse than the great depression, while everyone else’s home is depreciating theirs is going up in value.

People are settling. McDonalds recently turned away 938,000 eager job applicants.

And yes,the job market IS bad everywhere. If you have a job, be grateful. But don’t kid yourself into thinking you have job security. Nobody does.

If I lost my job tomorrow I know where I'm not going..........McDonald;s

Old 05-01-2011, 07:46 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,400 times
Quote:

I can say the exact same thing about people who claim the sky is falling. No the job market is not bad everywhere.

I'm not going to argue with a person who can't even admit it's not bad everywhere. Talk about your head in the sand.

I'm willing to admit it's very bad in many cities just not all.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:48 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,400 times
Quote:
I Googled it. Unemployment claims rose by an “Unexpected” 25,000 last month.
Ok so that means what?

Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Ok so that means what?

It means the trillions spent to get unemployment below 8% has failed.

And yes, the 14 TRILLION+ US dept is BAD for everyone, everywhere in the US. Even those not born yet.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:11 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
Quote:
There are many companIes hiring for good paying jobs. Some People fail to recognize this and continue with their doom and gloom attitude. Is it harder, yes, is it impossible, no.
No one is saying its impossible but I think you are underestimating how much harder things really are.

There are good jobs out there but because there are something like 150-200 job applicants for every open "good job" position it drives even thoes wages down. Plus it can create a tense work situation once you finally do land a "good job" because you are expendible.

Again no one is saying things are impossible but it really is pretty doom and gloom, however, just because it is doom and gloom does not mean you should give up but im not going to be intellectually dishonest about it either. All the solutions are at the national level regarding outsourcing and nafta, etc.

Now more than ever a family support structure is nessicary, I wish we had an extra bedroom to help people, we have let people live in our office on an air mat for several months because it really is that bad, I guess if anything this should drive us to more charity because its not just drunk bums that are falling on hard times these days.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:14 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
Quote:
I can say the exact same thing about people who claim the sky is falling. No the job market is not bad everywhere.

I'm not going to argue with a person who can't even admit it's not bad everywhere. Talk about your head in the sand.

I'm willing to admit it's very bad in many cities just not all.
Also another problem in our economy is the time between employment, because of how onerous it is to get a new "real job" it creates huge gaps in unemployment which then makes you less employable. It can take an employer 2-3 months to sort through the 100's or even possibly 1000's of applications to actually find a set of people to interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment