U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 04:12 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,716,763 times

Advertisements

service bulletins

Not to mention this is in Flint, Michigan...not the funnest or safest city to drive around in.

I looked up MTA (Mass Transit Authority) jobs for a computer-less/jobless acquaintance the other day and was really surprised these jobs paid so poorly....I guess I figured that driving a city bus - a municipal job with no small measure of responsibility - would have paid quite a bit better than $10 an hour, with no benefits at all.

Is it just me or does this sound really low? I realise driving per se isn't exactly a specialized skill...but this is driving a big city bus plus customer service.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 04:14 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,435,858 times
Considering Flint is essentially bankrupt, why would you be surprised the pay was not better?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:18 PM

6,482 posts, read 5,967,208 times
If it isn't enough money don't take it.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 PM

10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times
A first year air line pilot at the smaller regional carriers starts out around $12/hr and has a lot more $$ into their career than a bus driver, $10/hr isn't really out of line IMO.

Of the city buses I've been on, there wasn't anything related to customer service. Just driving.

The real question is, at that level of pay, are they paying enough to hire reliable workers? Typically the less you pay the less reliable your employees tend to be, as they just don't care.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:54 PM

1,096 posts, read 3,985,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
service bulletins

Not to mention this is in Flint, Michigan...not the funnest or safest city to drive around in.

I looked up MTA (Mass Transit Authority) jobs for a computer-less/jobless acquaintance the other day and was really surprised these jobs paid so poorly....I guess I figured that driving a city bus - a municipal job with no small measure of responsibility - would have paid quite a bit better than $10 an hour, with no benefits at all.

Is it just me or does this sound really low? I realise driving per se isn't exactly a specialized skill...but this is driving a big city bus plus customer service.

I agree it does sound low but generally I find gov overpays and its your and my money they are paying with.

I occasionaly view surrounding cities career sections and see cashiers at the water dept starting off at like $18 an hour and going up several bucks after a probation period.

I tend to thin gov pays high and apparently you do to but why? Why should a water dept cashier make more than 2x what someone else in a similar job would make? Because they work for the gov? It's public money being used they should be paid less, especially considering they normally have great benefits, great job security, and often times a pension they dont even have to pay into.

Also, why should region dictate pay. It's not the cities fault you live in an undesirable city, why shoudl they pay you more for it?

Old 05-01-2011, 05:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,716,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Considering Flint is essentially bankrupt, why would you be surprised the pay was not better?
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli
If it isn't enough money don't take it.
Just to be clear, this wasn't for me; I have no interest in driving a Flint city bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup
A first year air line pilot at the smaller regional carriers starts out around $12/hr and has a lot more $$ into their career than a bus driver, $10/hr isn't really out of line IMO.

Of the city buses I've been on, there wasn't anything related to customer service. Just driving.

The real question is, at that level of pay, are they paying enough to hire reliable workers? Typically the less you pay the less reliable your employees tend to be, as they just don't care.
Really, 12 bucks an hour to fly a plane? OK....then I guess $10/hr is in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69
I tend to thin gov pays high and apparently you do to but why? Why should a water dept cashier make more than 2x what someone else in a similar job would make? Because they work for the gov? It's public money being used they should be paid less, especially considering they normally have great benefits, great job security, and often times a pension they dont even have to pay into.
I don't know why....just what I have understood to be the case. I agree that is doesn't make sense that government employees should make much more than those in the private sector.
I don't live in Flint, I live a little north. Again, I was looking this up for someone I know who doesn't have computer access.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,435,858 times
Correct, 1st officers at the plane that crashed near Buffalo for a regional were grossing under 30k, sleeping at either friends or what were essentially employee break rooms, as they could not afford even a Super 8.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:25 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,060,925 times
If it's non union-then yeah that pay sounds about right. But like others have said-you get what you pay for. I know working summers for private contractors-they paid low and they got the lowest of the barrel working for them. Here in NYS-my CDL costs me $180. Not chump change by any means for a drivers license. A lot of places now don't train you-you pay for training yourself-at a tune over well over $1200+ dollars-just to take the drivers test. I've driven county buses and got paid that same money-9 years ago when I drove for the county in the summer.

Just 2 years ago-most school districts across the country had a HUGE driver's shortage-couldn't get people to drive-no matter what you paid them-one other district here the starting pay was $19.47-and they were short drivers for runs. Interesting how now two years later-there's no shortage of drivers.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 PM

5,598 posts, read 16,997,870 times
The "no benefits" part makes sense since it is a substitute position and not full-time. The wages for a full-time dedicated employee could be substantially more. $10/hr. could also be the starting or training wage and could drastically go up when getting out of training. $10-12/hr. is typical during training at most municipal transit agencies.

However, many municipalities contract their transit operations to private contractors. The transit operators and other employees working for the contractor make quite a bit less than those municipalities who directly run their own service. Transit operator wages in many large cities that run their own transit operations rather than contracting it out, are in the $30/hr. range a few dollars per hour. In these case, it is usually a union negotiated wage ...either Amalgamated Transit Union, United Transportation Union, or sometimes Teamsters.

I have no ideas how the Flint system is run, however.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Wow, I guess Michigan is worse off than I thought. Here starting for bus drivers is about $25/hour with full benefits, some making $100,000+ with overtime. Of course, there are currently no openings.

The water department cashiers here are getting about the same, but many of them were laid off the first of the year as were others in the water and electric departments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment