U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What do you think of Jayson's decision to live at home?
Very intelligent. 21 31.82%
Intelligent, but not without social consequences. 20 30.30%
Smart in the short-term, stupid in the long-term. The kid needs to learn responsibility. 14 21.21%
Ridiculous. The kid should get his own place. 10 15.15%
Other 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:42 PM

2,982 posts, read 3,601,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It is not shameful. I do and it is mutually beneficial. My mother is somewhat stuck with her large house, has mobility issues, and has no mechanical aptitude.

I do all the grocery shopping, home maintenance (grass, laundry, snow, gardening) and repair (something is always broken in a 40 year old home), pay $700 rent and 2/3 the groceries. In this way we both have much better living arrangements than either one of us would alone. It also allows me to build up savings so I can get out of science and someday earn enough to have my own life.

In Asia and much of the world extended families are the norm.
Not my opinion, but that of American society. I lived with family in my 30s, and try telling people that, and see the reaction. Especially women with whom you want to date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 04:25 PM

7,827 posts, read 8,257,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I lived at home for three years after college, paid off all of my debt, and ended up with $60,000 to use as a rainy day fund. Not a bad way to start out in life. I always helped out around the house, and I'm glad my parents let me stay. My room would have just sat vacant anyway.

And I bet you sleep well.

If only more people thought like you we wouldn't be in the economic mess we're in. It all started with people buying houses they had no business buying.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:35 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,052,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And I bet you sleep well.

If only more people thought like you we wouldn't be in the economic mess we're in. It all started with people buying houses they had no business buying.
Also, don't forget spending way beyond our means with credit cards!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:07 PM

151 posts, read 163,356 times
That's a KIPPER Kids In Parents Place Eating into Retirement Savings

Only stay in your parent's house if you can't afford to move out, but if you are working and earning a decent salary pay your own mortgage, electric bill, telephone bill, water bill, buy your own groceries, have your parties and bbq's in your own home.

failure to launch

but I guess when you have a bad day you can always go and sit on mommy's lap and cry

Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 PM

1,059 posts, read 751,296 times
This is what I plan to do after I graduate. In fact, my mom would love the idea of me moving back in and have her future grandbabies live under the same roof. If and when I graduate from Nursing and get my first job, I could be raking 45k/yr after taxes easily. I'd help my mom out with bills and take her and my younger siblings out to vacations on my dime.

I see nothing wrong with what Jayson is doing, though I think he could contribute more. That's what I plan to do and cannot wait to support my own mother after all these years of her supporting me.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 PM

4,378 posts, read 2,267,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trochlearIV View Post
That's a KIPPER Kids In Parents Place Eating into Retirement Savings

Only stay in your parent's house if you can't afford to move out, but if you are working and earning a decent salary pay your own mortgage, electric bill, telephone bill, water bill, buy your own groceries, have your parties and bbq's in your own home.

failure to launch

but I guess when you have a bad day you can always go and sit on mommy's lap and cry
So they can launch into their indentured servitude that banks and corporations have set up for them in the "real world", not smart, better to launch when you have no debt and a house paid for outright with a good job, then no one owns you.

Why is there this tread of opinion on here that think indentured serviduted is good.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:31 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,807,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm not talking down to you; this is an genuine question:

Why do you think you're entitled to a life without struggle?

Do you think you parents didn't struggle? Or your grandparents? Did they feel entitled to a cost-free dwelling? What about your friends? Do they work hard to make ends meet?

Is it impossible to understand that working hard for what you have makes you appreciate it more? Or that your expenses should not exceed your income?

Well, you seem to think that living with your parents -- just so you don't have to make payments on your condo and so you can save more money than you're doing now while living a lifestyle that does not correspond with your income -- is part of your birthright. I'll leave it to our fellow posters to determine who's mature and who isn't.
lol it boils down to this.

MY MONEY or your OPINION.

What do you think I'm going to choose.

Getting ahead of you...or being on the same level because you don't think its fair for me to have less expenses.

There are people who don't struggle in life.

The way the economy is I would take every opportunity I can get.

If he's driving a Mercedes SLR at 38 do you think anyone is going to care he was working with his parents 10 years ago.

Some families are cool like that. I know if I ever get that level of success my family automatically is reaping the rewards first and foremost.

Like another poster said family wealth.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 PM

151 posts, read 163,356 times
Here is an idea
How about moving out and living within your means
buy a house you can afford
a used car with no monthly payment
brown bag lunch
eat dinner at home
and stop maxing out credit cards

That is the problem today too many people live beyond their means. They want to drive a car they can't afford, buy a house that is too expensive, eat out all the time, and shop for a new big screen TV although the old one works just fine.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trochlearIV View Post
Here is an idea
How about moving out and living within your means
buy a house you can afford
a used car with no monthly payment
brown bag lunch
eat dinner at home
and stop maxing out credit cards

That is the problem today too many people live beyond their means. They want to drive a car they can't afford, buy a house that is too expensive, eat out all the time, and shop for a new big screen TV although the old one works just fine.
why dont you pan handle for some loose change while your at it and beg and grovel for jobs and sign obsurd contracts because your desperate. Not my idea of a fun time.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
lol it boils down to this.

MY MONEY or your OPINION.

What do you think I'm going to choose.

Getting ahead of you...or being on the same level because you don't think its fair for me to have less expenses.

There are people who don't struggle in life.

The way the economy is I would take every opportunity I can get.

If he's driving a Mercedes SLR at 38 do you think anyone is going to care he was working with his parents 10 years ago.

Some families are cool like that. I know if I ever get that level of success my family automatically is reaping the rewards first and foremost.

Like another poster said family wealth.
What he said, finally someone with some brains. And I did not come from money, I had to struggle but it sucked and it built no charachter it was just something that had to be done but I minimized that time, and I wish my parents lived near a good engineering program I would be much farther than I am now without the student loans I had and probably would have been getting laid when I was in my sexual prime instead of slaving away.

Just becuase I went through it to get where I am does not mean its good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment