Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Jayson's decision to live at home?
Very intelligent. 21 31.82%
Intelligent, but not without social consequences. 20 30.30%
Smart in the short-term, stupid in the long-term. The kid needs to learn responsibility. 14 21.21%
Ridiculous. The kid should get his own place. 10 15.15%
Other 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 11,168 times

Advertisements

Good on Jason, even more so because he graduated from the same university as your's truly

Might cramp his social life, but those things often pale in comparrison to financial security and the ability to help one's family.

Like another poster noted moving out is very much an American concept, many other places I have travelled around the world very few people left their parent's house prior to marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
I would do it. In fact, I'm trying to do it right now. I have a friend who is doing it now. He makes much less than me, but lives a "baller" lifestyle because he doesn't have the expenses I have (rent, utilities, groceries, etc.). My dad did ask that I pay him about $300/mo for rent and utilities if I ever did decide to move back in, but that's at least half of what I'm paying now. Besides, I don't mind helping my parents out financially.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This particular guy is a selfish freeloader -- although you don't say if he contributes toward home maintenance and upkeep (mowing the lawn, doing the dishes, etc.) He needs to find a way to contribute more toward the household, whether it's through maintenance and chores, paying the electric bill every month, etc., or a combination thereof.

So what if his parents refuse -- he should be responsible enough to find a way to contribute financially and otherwise, even if they do say no.

Are you an adult or a spoiled brat? Sell your condo to move in with your mommy and daddy? Unless you're both unemployed and have been for months, this is just a selfish and deplorable me-first attitude. For God's sake, be a grownup and live within your means; that means cutting your expenses enough to be able to save.
You need to calm down and take a math class. When you do the math rent or a mortage is a HUGE chunk of change, you dont just cut out cable and everything is all better. Since my parents live far away from where I work it probably would not work out but man having a paid for place would be absolutly awesome, I would not feel like an indentured servant to a bank anymore.

So take a deep breath and enroll in a 101 math class where you learn addition and subtraction.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:56 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
I lived at home for three years after college, paid off all of my debt, and ended up with $60,000 to use as a rainy day fund. Not a bad way to start out in life. I always helped out around the house, and I'm glad my parents let me stay. My room would have just sat vacant anyway.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:10 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
When you do the math rent or a mortage is a HUGE chunk of change, you dont just cut out cable and everything is all better.
Well, my Math 101 tells me that if I earn $4,000 a month, my monthly expenses must not exceed $4,000.

My Accounting 101 tells me that if they do, I should cut my expenses or increase my income until the income and expense sides balance.

My HomeOwners 101 tells me that I should not purchase a home (or rent an apartment) I cannot comfortably afford.

If balancing income and expenses means moving into a place with lower rent (that isn't Mommy's house), and/or living without cable, not buying new clothes, cutting grocery costs, spending less on gasoline, postponing vacations, turning off the lights when I leave the room, so be it.

I didn't even hit on half the number of ways you can cut your monthly expenses. Or, you could always get a second job to afford your lavish lifestyle.

It's your lifestyle, not your parents'. Why should they have to pay for your inability to be a grownup and live within your means?

Don't get me wrong -- if I were destitute and at the end of my rope and had nowhere else to turn, I'd ask my parents if they'd put me up until I got on my feet. But I'd be sure as hell to pay as much as I could toward rent, and spend every possible second helping to maintain the house, run errands, etc.

Quote:
but man having a paid for place would be absolutly awesome, I would not feel like an indentured servant to a bank anymore.
You could always get yourself a sugar daddy. Wouldn't that be "absolutly" awesome!

I bet your mommy and daddy are sooo proud of you.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I would do it. In fact, I'm trying to do it right now. I have a friend who is doing it now. He makes much less than me, but lives a "baller" lifestyle because he doesn't have the expenses I have (rent, utilities, groceries, etc.). My dad did ask that I pay him about $300/mo for rent and utilities if I ever did decide to move back in, but that's at least half of what I'm paying now. Besides, I don't mind helping my parents out financially.
I think us americans are giong to have to adjust our culture to match that of the second world since that is where our standard of living is going. It is requireing far to much debt and living on the edge to strike out on your own at such a young age, in the next 10 years it simply will not be feasable for 99% of people. Rent and mortgage and automobiles are simple too outragiously expensive. All the nasty comments in the world are not going to make the math add up in the years to come. Having a house paid for OUTRIGHT is really the only way to go, otherwise your an indentured servant to a bank for 15-30 years, most peoples plans only go out 10 years let alone 30 years. 10-20k for a decent used vehical give me a break.

If your house and vehicals are paid for once can live decently on their own and ride out any lay offs or other unfortunate circumstances. If the families dont circle the waggons then there will alot of homelessness, forclosures, etc because the prosperity to do it on your own at 18 and be successful is no longer present in the USA. Why should we put ourselves in situations were we have to struggle for 20 years just to break even, that is foolishness. The simple math is going to break the back of the social expectations.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Well, my Math 101 tells me that if I earn $4,000 a month, my monthly expenses must not exceed $4,000.

My Accounting 101 tells me that if they do, I should cut my expenses or increase my income until the income and expense sides balance.

My HomeOwners 101 tells me that I should not purchase a home (or rent an apartment) I cannot comfortably afford.

If balancing income and expenses means moving into a place with lower rent (that isn't Mommy's house), and/or living without cable, not buying new clothes, cutting grocery costs, spending less on gasoline, postponing vacations, turning off the lights when I leave the room, so be it.

I didn't even hit on half the number of ways you can cut your monthly expenses. Or, you could always get a second job to afford your lavish lifestyle.

It's your lifestyle, not your parents'. Why should they have to pay for your inability to be a grownup and live within your means?

Don't get me wrong -- if I were destitute and at the end of my rope and had nowhere else to turn, I'd ask my parents if they'd put me up until I got on my feet. But I'd be sure as hell to pay as much as I could toward rent, and spend every possible second helping to maintain the house, run errands, etc.

You could always get yourself a sugar daddy. Wouldn't that be "absolutly" awesome!

I bet your mommy and daddy are sooo proud of you.
That sounds good, I will cut out all fun in life and live bare bones because I have to much pride to live with parents and live in a ghetto so I can get caught in a cross fire over drugs. Cheap rent is not cheap, it could cost you your life, cheap rent is cheap for a reason.

what ever happened to living well and being smart, im not going to wait until I almost freeze to death to turn my brain on.

As people start to turn their brains on your words will be more and more meaningless, as it becomes more and more expensvie to live well its going to become infeasable to move out before you have enough to buy a house and a car. If your in a situation where your parents died and you cant live well, then you just have to survive, but dont try to make it sound like thats the "manly" thing to do, people that work 2 jobs and barely make the bills is a miserable existance far from living well, that is the result of no support system and no saftey net and its a real shame, God does not smile on that for sure.

Its not about getting by, its about living well. If thats not a key premise for you then we can stop the discussion.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Why should we put ourselves in situations were we have to struggle for 20 years just to break even, that is foolishness. The simple math is going to break the back of the social expectations.
Where on earth did you get the idea that you are entitled to a life without struggle? Or that you shouldn't have to pay for what you have?

Ditch the entitlement attitude and you'll be much happier.

Quote:
Its not about getting by, its about living well.
"Living well" means "living independently to the best of my ability." Apparently you have a more self-centered definition.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Where on earth did you get the idea that you are entitled to a life without struggle? Or that you shouldn't have to pay for what you have?

Ditch the entitlement attitude and you'll be much happier.

"Living well" means "living independently to the best of my ability." Apparently you have a more self-centered definition.
So because we disagree your going to talk down to me thats real mature.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
So because we disagree your going to talk down to me
I'm not talking down to you; this is an genuine question:

Why do you think you're entitled to a life without struggle?

Do you think you parents didn't struggle? Or your grandparents? Did they feel entitled to a cost-free dwelling? What about your friends? Do they work hard to make ends meet?

Is it impossible to understand that working hard for what you have makes you appreciate it more? Or that your expenses should not exceed your income?

Quote:
thats real mature.
Well, you seem to think that living with your parents -- just so you don't have to make payments on your condo and so you can save more money than you're doing now while living a lifestyle that does not correspond with your income -- is part of your birthright. I'll leave it to our fellow posters to determine who's mature and who isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment