Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,548,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
4. "I'm working in a hostile environment."

It's pretty much your boss's job to create a hostile work environment. A hostile environment is not illegal. Workplace harassment is not illegal. Bullying is not illegal in any state. Only hostile environment or harassment due to race, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, color, taking Family and Medical Leave, whistle blowing, or some other legally-protected status is illegal.
Wow @ #4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,533,980 times
Bottom line: This country was built on the freedoms afforded to those that make personal investment and reap the rewards. When someone puts their money on the table, they get to decide how it is distributed.

When you are paying for the work, you get to decide with the paying stops.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,643,848 times
Thats's funny, in a way. As someone who's been working for over 30 years, all of those facts are well-known to me. I'm always amazed that more employees don't know them.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,910,585 times
Thom Hartmann talks about this on his show and in his books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Here in Tennessee companys can terminate you for having an one accident on the job when you have to go to the hospital. I think this is crazy because people do make mistakes.

News, 1. "I was wrongfully terminated."

Maybe if you lived in Montana you'd have a point. Montana is the only state in the nation with a law saying you can only be fired for just cause. Otherwise, you live in an at-will state. That means you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. They don't have to have a good reason. They don't even have to give a reason in most states. Boss in a bad mood? He or she can fire you. HR didn't like the shoes you wore that day? Buh-bye.

10 Workplace Rights You Think You Have -- But Don't - Careers Articles

Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 AM

7,023 posts, read 14,460,156 times
Not news

Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,616,822 times
Heck, I've seen people who were still EMPLOYED by the company, but received zero hours for the week. If the people wait it out, they would usually bring them back in after a few weeks, but not many people can wait it out.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:43 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,514,952 times
Default We need a Worker's Rights party

Reading that article sure gives me lots of incentive NOT to get a job. Ever. Crappy pay, no security, and hostile working environment on top of that....as I like to say, "f**k that s**t."

That's exactly what's wrong with this country: there seems to be this prevailing paradigm that employers have all the rights, while the workers have little to none. Looking at this logically, why should a small minority (the employers) get to make all the rules for the majority (the employees)? If I had my way, the employers would have zero rights, and the workers would reign supreme. Not only should the min wage be boosted to a decent level (neighborhood of $15 an hour), there should be a myriad of worker's protection rules, such as not being able to be fired without cause, mandatory break times, mandatory vacation time (4 weeks min a year, plus 10 days sick time, etc), and most importantly, I would mandate that the workplace provide a psychologically healthy environment. That means NO bullying, NO intimidation by bosses in any way shape or form, and and very strict guidelines as to what a boss can and cannot do to an employee. I'd make it far easier for an unemployed person to get work, if that's not possible, then I'd set up a generous dole system, funded by heavy taxes on those who do have high-paying jobs (only fair in my opinion). Everyone should have the right to work, if they're able to do so, and if the economy isn't able to provide a job for everyone, then it's the government's job to provide for ALL of its citizens, not just the rich and the poorest of the poor.

I, for one, am not ashamed to say "work sucks!" and like I have for the past 13 years, I do everything possible NOT to get a job - it's just not worth my sanity.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,306,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Reading that article sure gives me lots of incentive NOT to get a job. Ever. Crappy pay, no security, and hostile working environment on top of that....as I like to say, "f**k that s**t."

That's exactly what's wrong with this country: there seems to be this prevailing paradigm that employers have all the rights, while the workers have little to none. Looking at this logically, why should a small minority (the employers) get to make all the rules for the majority (the employees)? If I had my way, the employers would have zero rights, and the workers would reign supreme. Not only should the min wage be boosted to a decent level (neighborhood of $15 an hour), there should be a myriad of worker's protection rules, such as not being able to be fired without cause, mandatory break times, mandatory vacation time (4 weeks min a year, plus 10 days sick time, etc), and most importantly, I would mandate that the workplace provide a psychologically healthy environment. That means NO bullying, NO intimidation by bosses in any way shape or form, and and very strict guidelines as to what a boss can and cannot do to an employee. I'd make it far easier for an unemployed person to get work, if that's not possible, then I'd set up a generous dole system, funded by heavy taxes on those who do have high-paying jobs (only fair in my opinion). Everyone should have the right to work, if they're able to do so, and if the economy isn't able to provide a job for everyone, then it's the government's job to provide for ALL of its citizens, not just the rich and the poorest of the poor.

I, for one, am not ashamed to say "work sucks!" and like I have for the past 13 years, I do everything possible NOT to get a job - it's just not worth my sanity.
So the people that own the companies, that take on all the risks should have no say in how to run there companies? I start a business and the employees are going to tell me what is up huh? Doesn't work for me. That is not what this nation is about althought we have plenty of people that want to get something for nothing. Hard work is what built this nation and those that are willing to work hard for what they get can get ahead in life. What you want is to not work and have someone give you everything. Why should an employer have to put up with you? Why should a tax payer have to support you because you don't want to work?

We should get rid of the minumum wage and pay people what they are worth. let the market dictate what the minumum wage is. You would have a more effcient system that way. Some would make a lot more money, others like you would not make much. Do you think an employer will get rid of someone that puts their shoulder to the wheel and gets the job done? People that work would get plenty of raises and those that don't would either be let go or realize that they need to produce to make it in life.

Why should anyone set the vacation time? Are you worth 4 weeks time off? What have you personally done to make your self worthy of the kind of benefits you think should be handed over to every working person?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:42 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,616,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

As an employee, I don't believe in vacation or sick time.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:49 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,222,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Non-compete clauses are actually very common and important to employers. I've sued (and won against) ex-employees in the past.
How did you manage that. What exactly is a non-compete law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment