Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:09 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times

Advertisements

I was having lunch with a few co-workers today. This is the job I am leaving at the end of next week.

One of them said his boss passes around a list that shows when everyone swipes their badges in the morning, and when they leave at night. It thus tracks how many hours they were in the office.

The list is ranked in order of the most hours worked the previous week. Everyone has to sign their name to acknowledge how many hours they worked. He also said that if he has a doctors appointment, his boss says he can go "as long as he makes up the hours and works his usual amount of overtime".

These are exempt employees that have to sign this list. In my department, there is definitely a culture of overtime being expected. Before the company downsized by 40% it wasn't so overt. We even got comp time if we worked more than 44 hours in a week. However, since the downsizing, they took the comp time away.

As I said, I am leaving in a few days. I will miss my co-workers. However, I will not miss the culture that exists there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:14 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,396 times
Consult a labor attorney.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
I'm confused. Doesn't everyone have to do this in some form or another? I've always had to submit timesheets and attest to my actual hours worked, this seems to be a similar process.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:29 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
A list is not illegal, but docking exempt employees for hours missed (as opposed to days) would be illegal.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
While it is not required by law that employees sign their timesheets, most companies require this as a 'good practice'. It makes the timesheet more legally binding--you can't claim you worked more hours than you logged, if you signed it. And if you had a buddy sign you in for hours you didn't actually work, then they have a legal document reiterating your lie--you can't claim you didnt know your buddy had clocked you in.

Yes it is legal for them to require overtime, and yes it is legal for them to foster a culture where overtime is expected.

It is not legal for an employer to dock pay for a less-than-full-day absence. However they can require that you still complete your assigned work for the day, week, or month.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:09 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
We have sick leave for doctors visits and if I leave for personal reasons I have vacation time. If I work more than 40 hrs which is rare these days since big projects are on hold but if I did I would bank it as comp time, if we did not have comp time I would just bank it on a piece of paper and leave, however I would not allow much unoffical time to accumulate because if I were fired or laid off I could not cash it out so if I worked OT on monday and tuesday I would cut out at lunch on friday, I would not ask anyone I would just leave. If I was talked to about it at all I would promptly look for a new job and leave.

The bottom line is I dont work for free and none of my co workers do either or my boss.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:54 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Who cares, adventually you will either find another job, or die, and none of that nonsense will have of mattered anyway.

just move on and don't worry about it.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 AM

145 posts, read 420,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Yes it is legal for them to require overtime, and yes it is legal for them to foster a culture where overtime is expected..
How many hours of overtime can someone Be legally made to work and does any notice need to be given?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I was having lunch with a few co-workers today. This is the job I am leaving at the end of next week.

One of them said his boss passes around a list that shows when everyone swipes their badges in the morning, and when they leave at night. It thus tracks how many hours they were in the office.

The list is ranked in order of the most hours worked the previous week. Everyone has to sign their name to acknowledge how many hours they worked. He also said that if he has a doctors appointment, his boss says he can go "as long as he makes up the hours and works his usual amount of overtime".

These are exempt employees that have to sign this list. In my department, there is definitely a culture of overtime being expected. Before the company downsized by 40% it wasn't so overt. We even got comp time if we worked more than 44 hours in a week. However, since the downsizing, they took the comp time away.

As I said, I am leaving in a few days. I will miss my co-workers. However, I will not miss the culture that exists there now.
When you say "exempt employees" , what, exactly are they exempt from? I am not following this. If they are salaried employees (which is what *I* call an exempt employee), then they do not have timesheets. So that does not make any sense. So I can't figure out what they are exempt from.

As far as overtime. I am not sure if can be required. Best thing to do would be to call your state's labor department and ask them the particulars.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When you say "exempt employees" , what, exactly are they exempt from? I am not following this. If they are salaried employees (which is what *I* call an exempt employee), then they do not have timesheets. So that does not make any sense. So I can't figure out what they are exempt from.

As far as overtime. I am not sure if can be required. Best thing to do would be to call your state's labor department and ask them the particulars.

20yrsinBranson
That is not true, I am salery but we have to keep track of what clients we bill to, vacation time we take, sick leave, AND we bank comp time if we work OT which is used as extra vacation (or can be cashed out but its just straight time so I use it as vacation). That is a pretty standard arrangement for my industry. Not alot of OT going on these days however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment