Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

I agree with you in that a lot of women and gay men love sports too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
This thread makes no sense because I work with women and gay men who LOVE SPORTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 06:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I agree with you in that a lot of women and gay men love sports too.

Which means this thread="FAIL"

Old 05-14-2011, 08:21 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I don't follow sports, and I'm a man. It's not that I don't like sports - I just can't bring myself to get emotionally attached to a sports team - I just don't get it. It's a bit awkward when men at work realize that I don't care who won last night or that I don't know who's playing who tonight. We quickly run out of things to chit-chat about and it makes me feel a bit like an outsider to the back-slapping frat boy crowd, and I'm sure my career will be worse off for it. So, I understand why you wouldn't enjoy working with men. If you feel you the need to overcome this for the sake of your career, catch 15 minutes of SportsCenter on ESPN while you get ready for work. If you can fake it by repeating one or two things you heard, you're in.

But there's nothing worse than the woman who really pretends to be a sports fan to get the attention of the men by being extra obnoxious about games when they don't even really understand what's going on. It's like they just get sucked into it by yelling louder whenever everyone else yells and getting sadder when everyone else is sad. Ridiculous.
I love that line,

and they will probably never ever meet any of the players either, I don't get the connection either....

Old 05-14-2011, 10:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am a 26 year old male and much prefer working with women over men. From my experience, men tend to have more egos and lack any sort of emotion whatsoever. All they want to talk about is sports, and I HATE sports! I don't know anything or care about anything related to sports. I can have better conversations with women about life in general. Of course, that's not to say all men are like that. There are exceptions. For example, my department consists of 9 men (including myself) and 6 women. Of the 9 men, I only really connect well with about 3 of them. Of the women, I connect well with all of them. Is something wrong with me? Or do other people have the same experiences working with men?

Again, the primary reason I hate working with men is that they want to talk about sports 100% of the time, and it pisses me off.
Sounds like you like drama just from the discription. You hate it because they don't like what you like. OK

Old 05-14-2011, 11:58 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Sounds like its time for you to find a new job.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,571 times
Did you just realize that men love sports?? That's like going to a mall with a group of women and complaining about them shopping.

Sports is a very neutral topic to bring up at work after complaining about how the weather report is always wrong. By talking about sports you're not offending anybody's personal beliefs, race, or religion because it's a game.

At my last job all I really talked about with my bosses and coworkers was sports. I'm in my 20's and my bosses are in their mid late 60's. With the big age difference we dont have much in common and many of them have children older than me. Football and sports gave us some common ground to talk.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:41 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
OP maybe you can talk to the ladies about high heels

Old 05-15-2011, 12:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Yep. See how that works for you.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 AM

543 posts, read 3,077,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Well, I am a man, I work with mostly men, and a hand few of girls, The men here never talk about sports. There are many nationalities at my place of employment, I am Greek and we have Egyptian, Turkish, Indian men as well.
maybe it is an American thing for "straight men" to only talk about sports....

So I would agree with you as I HATE ANY TYPE OF SPORT. America puts way too much emphasis on it's importance......
What is your job?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Yeah, and I bet you are a peach to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment