Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times

Advertisements

LOL, I hate that aspect of working with other men as well. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT SPECTATOR SPORTS. I used to play Hockey and Baseball as a youngster but "watching" other people do it is as exciting as watching grass grow to me.

The one thing I don't understand is college football and why people who barely made it out of High school refer to their favorite college teams "we" unless of course the team lost that weekend which results in "they". I consider the whole spectator sports scene no different than soap operas for men.

I remember one guy accusing me of "being gay" in front of several other sports fans because I don't enjoy watching sports. I ask him "Who spends every weekend ogling other men as they play a children's game? And I'M the gay one scooter?" (Not to say there is anything wrong with being gay...) The funny thing is that this guy equated WATCHING to being tough some how. The guy NEVER PLAYED FOOTBALL IN HIS LIFE. HE NEVER DID ANYTHING OTHER THAN GO RIGHT TO WORK AFTER HIGHSCHOOL.

Of course women have their own little quirks, the one I hate is the "need" to get into co-workers personal lives and to gossip more so than men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:11 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am a 26 year old male and much prefer working with women over men. From my experience, men tend to have more egos and lack any sort of emotion whatsoever. All they want to talk about is sports, and I HATE sports! I don't know anything or care about anything related to sports. I can have better conversations with women about life in general. Of course, that's not to say all men are like that. There are exceptions. For example, my department consists of 9 men (including myself) and 6 women. Of the 9 men, I only really connect well with about 3 of them. Of the women, I connect well with all of them. Is something wrong with me? Or do other people have the same experiences working with men?

Again, the primary reason I hate working with men is that they want to talk about sports 100% of the time, and it pisses me off.
Are you referring to conversations during breaks, or at lunch? I would hope so because employees are paid wages to 'work', not have a gab fest. Employees should not be engaging in casual conversations during actual work hours.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Are you referring to conversations during breaks, or at lunch? I would hope so because employees are paid wages to 'work', not have a gab fest. Employees should not be engaging in casual conversations during actual work hours.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm the only woman in a department with 9 other men and Im far happier here than I was working In an all female environment. All most women want to do is gossip and talk about other women behind their backs and I just couldn't stand it. I get along much better in an all male environment.
This was my experience as well.

I worked in an all female environment and it was bad. I told my mom I worked with all women and she said that was bad. I told my sister I worked with all women and she said that was bad. Gossip and social ostracizing.

I have had nurses tell me working with all women is the worst part of the job.

On the flipside, working with all men can be boorish, crass, and offensive to women and some men.

I'd say some kind of a balance is needed, but I think in general all women is worse, at least for me.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
LOL, I hate that aspect of working with other men as well. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT SPECTATOR SPORTS. I used to play Hockey and Baseball as a youngster but "watching" other people do it is as exciting as watching grass grow to me.
I'd say of all the men I have worked with over the years, maybe 10% of them knew enough about sports for me to sustain a conversation with them for more than 15 minutes of a day.

Yea, I'm big into sports. Most guys aren't. Big myth. Most guys only follow it casually. At least in my field.

I have met the guys who watch football EVERY Sunday and follow basketball enough to have in depth conversations with me, but they are much more the exception than the rule.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Quote:
It just happend again today while I was at the printer. A manager asked me if I saw the basketball game last night. I said no and I know nothing about sports, sorry. He's like "REALLY?" Like it's forbidden to not like sports. American society is pathetic with its overemphasis on sports. I couldn't care less about watching some men running around in a field fighting over a ball.
I'm gay, so I can relate in a way. I generally feel more comfortable talking to women than I do straight men, but I get along well with my male co-workers, and I don't follow most sports, although I do like major league soccer, and I've been getting into rugby, since one of my co-workers plays on a local team and my partner and I have gone to a few of the matches with a few of my other co-workers. I think the key here is to not display such a negative attitude about sports. I mean, it's fine that you don't like sports, but instead of getting all huffy and saying things like "no, I know nothing about sports, sorry," why not say something like "nah, I don't follow basketball" and leave it at that?

Interestingly enough, all of my straight male co-workers know I'm gay and they've even met my partner. We may not be able to talk about last night's Broncos game, but we find other things to talk about and I don't feel like I'm treated differently from how they treat each other. I guess what I'm getting at is just give them a chance -- and try not to be too negative!

If I had to choose who I prefer working with in my work environment, I'd actually say that I prefer working with the men. I do get along with my female co-workers, but I'd say generally, at my workplace, they tend to gossip more often, and sometimes it makes working together uncomfortable, because I try to stay away from that.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
Quote:
I am a 26 year old male and much prefer working with women over men. From my experience, men tend to have more egos and lack any sort of emotion whatsoever. All they want to talk about is sports, and I HATE sports! I don't know anything or care about anything related to sports. I can have better conversations with women about life in general. Of course, that's not to say all men are like that. There are exceptions. For example, my department consists of 9 men (including myself) and 6 women. Of the 9 men, I only really connect well with about 3 of them. Of the women, I connect well with all of them. Is something wrong with me? Or do other people have the same experiences working with men?

Again, the primary reason I hate working with men is that they want to talk about sports 100% of the time, and it pisses me off.

Hmmmmmmmmm... Very odd. Every job I have ever had it's been the exact opposite. most women want drama and gossip which typically doesn't fair well with guys and disrupts work flow and progress. they typically also feel the constant need to prove themselves which ends up with power struggles and a lot of back stabbing. Not a healthy environment.

I'm not going to say there is something wrong with you but you are certainly not the majority or the norm.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:32 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
It would be interesting to see a statistical breakdown by state or region of men/women work preferences.

The reason I say that is that, many years ago when I was the OP's age and living back East and Midwest, I too found my female coworkers much much enjoyable to be around. Today, however, my view is diametrically opposed to that....and I think the major reason is the profound difference in women's attitudes here compared to there. But it has been 21 years since I left the Midwest, so I can't say for sure whether it is the passage of time or a continuing cultural divide that accounts for the profound difference.

Women now completely dominate the corporate office environment in this area. And when I was a young man living back East, I would have thought that was absolutely wonderful. But here and now, it is a nightmare....as the collective condescension and outright hostility toward the relatively few men who still hang in there is inescapable. These women are a whole new breed....the likes of which I had never, ever encountered before I moved to the Bay Area. More and more men are switching gears to an entirely new career path, as I have, just to survive with their sanity.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
It would be interesting to see a statistical breakdown by state or region of men/women work preferences.

The reason I say that is that, many years ago when I was the OP's age and living back East and Midwest, I too found my female coworkers much much enjoyable to be around. Today, however, my view is diametrically opposed to that....and I think the major reason is the profound difference in women's attitudes here compared to there. But it has been 21 years since I left the Midwest, so I can't say for sure whether it is the passage of time or a continuing cultural divide that accounts for the profound difference.

Women now completely dominate the corporate office environment in this area. And when I was a young man living back East, I would have thought that was absolutely wonderful. But here and now, it is a nightmare....as the collective condescension and outright hostility toward the relatively few men who still hang in there is inescapable. These women are a whole new breed....the likes of which I had never, ever encountered before I moved to the Bay Area. More and more men are switching gears to an entirely new career path, as I have, just to survive with their sanity.
Advertising and media, right?

I think it's a case by case basis. I've had the (mis)fortune of working polar ends of the spectrum, working with 1) brash and crass construction and blue collar men who were ex-cons and 2) girly, snooty, office gossip girls.

And it's always a case of a few bad apples. I had an office where two of the women were the ringleaders of a crew of about 6 or so. Think the leader of the girls from 'Mean Girls' in her mid-30s. Coincidentally, the two left about the same time. After that, the remaining girls were much nicer and work was much better.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:02 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
When I saw the title of this thread, I wasn't expecting the word "sports," because at my job, there's a lot of down time (night shift) and a certain group talk about sex all the time. Just as boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment