Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM

2,631 posts, read 6,987,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't do networking.
Yeah only us unemployed people do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 01:08 PM

1,479 posts, read 5,066,290 times
I don't follow sports, and I'm a man. It's not that I don't like sports - I just can't bring myself to get emotionally attached to a sports team - I just don't get it. It's a bit awkward when men at work realize that I don't care who won last night or that I don't know who's playing who tonight. We quickly run out of things to chit-chat about and it makes me feel a bit like an outsider to the back-slapping frat boy crowd, and I'm sure my career will be worse off for it. So, I understand why you wouldn't enjoy working with men. If you feel you the need to overcome this for the sake of your career, catch 15 minutes of SportsCenter on ESPN while you get ready for work. If you can fake it by repeating one or two things you heard, you're in.

But there's nothing worse than the woman who really pretends to be a sports fan to get the attention of the men by being extra obnoxious about games when they don't even really understand what's going on. It's like they just get sucked into it by yelling louder whenever everyone else yells and getting sadder when everyone else is sad. Ridiculous.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,804,646 times
I know what you are saying. They are boorish rubes. Smart enough to "run a corporation" but dumb enough to obsess over sports and "who won the game".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I don't follow sports, and I'm a man. It's not that I don't like sports - I just can't bring myself to get emotionally attached to a sports team - I just don't get it. It's a bit awkward when men at work realize that I don't care who won last night or that I don't know who's playing who tonight. We quickly run out of things to chit-chat about and it makes me feel a bit like an outsider to the back-slapping frat boy crowd, and I'm sure my career will be worse off for it. So, I understand why you wouldn't enjoy working with men. If you feel you the need to overcome this for the sake of your career, catch 15 minutes of SportsCenter on ESPN while you get ready for work. If you can fake it by repeating one or two things you heard, you're in.

But there's nothing worse than the woman who really pretends to be a sports fan to get the attention of the men by being extra obnoxious about games when they don't even really understand what's going on. It's like they just get sucked into it by yelling louder whenever everyone else yells and getting sadder when everyone else is sad. Ridiculous.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM

People are supposed to evolve through the years.

Because life is all bout gym class. LOL. Those must have been the high points of your life. "Hooray, I got picked first in gym class. I am the greatest person of all time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I don't understand why so many people have this sickening hate and view that sports are pathetic. Humans have been watching spectator sports since the times of the Romans, even the Native Americans played their own sport, Lacrosse.

It's okay if you don't like sports, but some of you act that if you like sports and are passionate about them that there is something wrong with you. I like sports and I am very passionate about basketball and football. I don't like baseball (well I like playing it but not watching it) but I don't hate or look down on people that are passionate about baseball. I get the feeling some of you were always picked last when it came to gym class....

Last edited by artsyguy; 05-13-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 02:08 PM

I agree. People in general are philistine idiots. Smart enough to do "work tasks" but dumb enough to follow sports. That's why our job market and education system is extreme garbage. Too many rubes in leadership positions telling us what is important (sports, beer, religions, for-profit prisons, robber baron corporations, etc.) and what isn't important (books, interpersonal relationships, dating, romance, love, family, self-respect, fitness, continuing education, fine art, etc).

I would rather talk about books, movies, music, concerts, festivals, art, fashion, politics, current events, TV shows, comedy, philosophy, etc. rather than sports.

"Ooooh did you see that touch down at the end of the first quarter. Omg so and so caught that like no other. Omg. Omg. Omg. And I was high-fiving everyone in my house when they kicked that field goal right through those two bars omg omg omg. And did you see how the quarterback threw his ball. Today is the greatest day of my life because I saw a quarterback throw a ball."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It just happend again today while I was at the printer. A manager asked me if I saw the basketball game last night. I said no and I know nothing about sports, sorry. He's like "REALLY?" Like it's forbidden to not like sports. American society is pathetic with its overemphasis on sports. I couldn't care less about watching some men running around in a field fighting over a ball.

Last edited by artsyguy; 05-13-2011 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 02:17 PM

994 posts, read 1,820,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
People are supposed to evolve.
Are you for real?! Sports are good for you body and your mind. Watching sports can be great psychologically, creates bonds and also encourage to go play sports yourself. I don't see what the problem is with watching and playing sports. Some people obsess over it, but all sorts of people obsess over different things.

Have you ever been to a city after a championship has been won?! It really brings a lot of positivity and people become very happy and energetic. I mean look at New Orleans when they won the Super Bowl. A depressed city like that needed that. You don't think that made a difference?

You seriously need to get off you high horse. Just because you don't like sports, doesn't mean we are all stupid and barbaric. Sports are a part of our culture, are brings more good than bad. While the owner's of all those teams are greedy, sport teams still bring a lot to the economy and bring plenty of jobs. Imagine all those NBA players that came from rough neighborhoods, where would they be without the NBA? Who would contribute back to their communities the way they do?

Also for your argument evolve, that is stupid. Humans used to read and write back in day as well. Why haven't we evolved to something better?
If you don't think sports have evolved, then you truly are ignorant of the subject. Sports like basketball, football and baseball are less than 300 years old, they have evolved from other things.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:21 PM

That's strange I'm a relatively happy person on a regular basis and I do not follow any sports team or any sport at all. I don't have to wait for my "favorite sports team" to win a game to feel fantastic about myself. At some time in life you will have to take off the training-wheels from your bicycle and learn how to create bonds and friendships with people without sports history and sports plays getting in the way.

Sports teaches us that 1) Competition with others is God. 2) Collectivism and Group Think are God and 3) It's okay to act buffoonish if everyone else does it.

Reading and writing continues to contribute to society. Sports has never contributed anything except for entertainment. It's a distraction from reality: which is why you call it "psychologically great".

Quote:
Are you for real?! Sports are good for you body and your mind. Watching sports can be great psychologically, creates bonds and also encourage to go play sports yourself. I don't see what the problem is with watching and playing sports. Some people obsess over it, but all sorts of people obsess over different things.

Have you ever been to a city after a championship has been won?! It really brings a lot of positivity and people become very happy and energetic. I mean look at New Orleans when they won the Super Bowl. A depressed city like that needed that. You don't think that made a difference?

You seriously need to get off you high horse. Just because you don't like sports, doesn't mean we are all stupid and barbaric. Sports are a part of our culture, are brings more good than bad. While the owner's of all those teams are greedy, sport teams still bring a lot to the economy and bring plenty of jobs. Imagine all those NBA players that came from rough neighborhoods, where would they be without the NBA? Who would contribute back to their communities the way they do?

Also for your argument evolve, that is stupid. Humans used to read and write back in day as well. Why haven't we evolved to something better?
If you don't think sports have evolved, then you truly are ignorant of the subject. Sports like basketball, football and baseball are less than 300 years old, they have evolved from other things.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Also to assume that people who like sports, don't talk about literature, concerts, traveling, etc., is very ignorant. You don't have to like sports but your hate for it seems unjustified.

The only reason I brought up the gym class line was because I didn't understand why someone can just hate something so much unless there was a personal reason. I don't like Nascar, I hate watching it. However, I can respect the fact that some people like it. If people want to talk about it at work, that's fine, it's not my subject of interest, so I could care less if they converse about it with me or not. However it doesn't annoy or make me angry against them that they do.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM

So if everyone at work talked about Nascar for the majority of the time every single day I'm sure you would get annoyed and depressed. Let's be real. Sports fanatics are going to talk about sports the majority of time whether they are at work or at a social gathering.

I had a casual friend in college. And I invited him to my birthday party. He came and dominated my entire birthday party with sports jargon, sports history, sports statistics, sports plays, and furthermore kept competing against the topics that I wanted to bring up. It was shocking. He never got invited to anything else again. Additionally, I've met clones of this guy over and over again. It's amazing what culture teaches us is good.

When people go up to the OP and bring up "the game" and he refused to address "the game" and they look at him like he is nuts. That tells you how belligerent sports fanatics are. Don't bring up the "the game" to people who don't give a flip about it: bring up other topics.

Quote:
Also to assume that people who like sports, don't talk about literature, concerts, traveling, etc., is very ignorant. You don't have to like sports but your hate for it seems unjustified.

The only reason I brought up the gym class line was because I didn't understand why someone can just hate something so much unless there was a personal reason. I don't like Nascar, I hate watching it. However, I can respect the fact that some people like it. If people want to talk about it at work, that's fine, it's not my subject of interest, so I could care less if they converse about it with me or not. However it doesn't annoy or make me angry against them that they do.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That's strange I'm a relatively happy person on a regular basis and I do not follow any sports team or any sport at all.

Sports teaches us that 1) Competition with others is God. 2) Collectivism and Group Think are God and 3) It's okay to act buffoonish if everyone else does it.

Reading and writing continues to contribute to society. Sports has never contributed anything except for entertainment. It's a distraction from reality: which why you call it "psychologically great".
Some my best friends who are architects, have studied architecture in Rome and France, play instruments, love sports (U of Mich specifically), but you are right. They are uncultured, competitive, buffonish, collective thinkers. Just like everyone else around the world that is obsessed with soccer. Please lead the way to our salvation.

Thank you for enlightening me. I am done with this conversation. You are either a very sour person or you have a really bad elitist attitude. People like different things and sports is a big thing here. No reason to hate because you don't like it. I think it's fine to have your opinion, but when you start assuming things about people like that that is what bothers me. I am done with this conversation now, I am not wasting anymore time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment