Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,454,657 times

Advertisements

I am just curious is there any sector of IT where certificates are more important than a degree in Computer Science or an Engineering related field?

I work on the Software Engineering side of IT and certificates mean much less than degrees. Matter of fact a PhD is quickly becoming the norm for anyone over 20 years of experience. Certs are becoming meaningless because vendors and processes change too often, whereas a Comp Sci degree stays forever.

If I were to weight the importance of Degree/Cert for a Software Engineer it would be: 90/10 Degree/Cert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:34 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,566,064 times
Cisco. 80% of market share for routers/switches. A CCIE is just as respected in the industry as just about anybody.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,657,348 times
Specific technical expertise or at least competence that can be applied *today*, vs having a BS etc that is more often more theoretical, is the point. IT gets a lot of the press but the same dynamic is true of being an Electrician as well.

The difference may be in the growth potential of the choices...
where a smart hard working guy or gal might top out, how good that nets out to and how long it takes to get there.
That's all still anybodies guess.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,454,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Cisco. 80% of market share for routers/switches. A CCIE is just as respected in the industry as just about anybody.
I can see it in networking because Cisco owns so much of the market. But even Network Architects (guys that plan data centers, topologies) have Comp Sci degrees now. Sure the guys in the server room configuring routers can probably get away with a cert though.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:45 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,280,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I am just curious is there any sector of IT where certificates are more important than a degree in Computer Science or an Engineering related field?

I work on the Software Engineering side of IT and certificates mean much less than degrees. Matter of fact a PhD is quickly becoming the norm for anyone over 20 years of experience. Certs are becoming meaningless because vendors and processes change too often, whereas a Comp Sci degree stays forever.

If I were to weight the importance of Degree/Cert for a Software Engineer it would be: 90/10 Degree/Cert.
It depends on what area of IT you are discussing. If you are in a hardware related career position that involves hardware then having an A+, Microsoft or Cisco certification may open some doors for you..

I know some positions for software engineers and other software related positions were many companies expect applicants to have at least a bachelors degrees.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,253,688 times
I honestly think experience trumps both, but as another poster said, I think certs mean more in IT hardware/networking than in software experience.

Getting a degree for hardware IT is good but doesn't really prepare you for the day to day stuff, whereas I'd think the software IT degree would.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 AM

6,566 posts, read 11,221,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It depends on what area of IT you are discussing. If you are in a hardware related career position that involves hardware then having an A+, Microsoft or Cisco certification may open some doors for you..

I know some positions for software engineers and other software related positions were many companies expect applicants to have at least a bachelors degrees.
^^ exactly.

They key there is bolded. I don't think anyone got a job on the certification alone. It may be a prerequisite, or something that edged you over another candidate with similar experience/skills. The same could be said for degrees - but it really depends on the specific position you're applying for.

Internal operational positions (network, security, sys administration) tend to be experience focused. Degrees/certs really won't make much of a difference. However, if you're facing clients (consulting, sales engineering) - these may be required.

As you get into the management role, degrees matters a bit more. Most management positions (IT director, CIO/CTO etc.) will require a degree (even a MS) in a technology or business program - especially if their hiring from the outside.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:36 PM

74 posts, read 124,969 times
I"m on the networking side. I have no degree but you could be in the field making decent money with just certs.

If you want a white-collar office job, you need a degree. It better be a Masters also.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:47 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,251,489 times
A lot of what you are asking has to do with company culture and even that can change over time. Our IT department for many years was full of guys with certs. (I prefer tic tacs myself, but that is another story.) One young kid who started about 10 years ago had certs coming out his ears. We had some changes that have taken place in the healthcare industry and he was told that he would need to complete a degree program if he wanted to move up. Instead of fighting that he went back to school at the ripe old age of 20. It wasn't too long before he had the degree. He is now at age 28 one of the Directors of the IT department and pulling in a very good salary. The older more established managers did not go back to school. He is now over them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment