Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times

Advertisements

Today, at work this girl decided it was ok to use foul language..I mean like the F work, B word she was talking about another co-worker. Some lady told her to cool her language or she would lose her job.
I'm going to send my supervisor an email telling him that kind of language is unapropiate at work and we don't need to put up with it. I could be talking with someone on the phone and they don't need to hear someone in the background using foul language. Here at IBM? word gets around.
He can pull her aside and let her know thats not acceptable here.
Its just so ghetto
This isn't high school..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Today, at work this girl decided it was ok to use foul language..I mean like the F work, B word she was talking about another co-worker. Some lady told her to cool her language or she would lose her job.
I'm going to send my supervisor an email telling him that kind of language is unapropiate at work and we don't need to put up with it. I could be talking with someone on the phone and they don't need to hear someone in the background using foul language. Here at IBM? word gets around.
He can pull her aside and let her know thats not acceptable here.
Its just so ghetto
This isn't high school..
If I were you, I'd leave it alone. If it gets back around that you complained about her, you're going to stir up some major drama. Let it be unless it becomes a persistent problem.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
If I were you, I'd leave it alone. If it gets back around that you complained about her, you're going to stir up some major drama. Let it be unless it becomes a persistent problem.

Leave it alone..No
Its not acceptable..this isn't a small office...its IBM
This isn't High School. Its a professional work inviroment.
This is the 2nd day I heard it. So yes it is a problem.
For all of us here.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Leave it alone..No
Its not acceptable..this isn't a small office...its IBM
This isn't High School. Its a professional work inviroment.
This is the 2nd day I heard it. So yes it is a problem.
For all of us here.
Okay, well going behind their back and reporting them is only going to escalate matters if it comes back to you. First, I would politely address this issue with the person who is making the "offensive" comments. If they ignore your request, then you should consider going to her supervisor.

Trust me, going behind someone's back is not a good solution, especially if they're prone to acting immature.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:31 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Did you ask her not to use that kind of language?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:41 AM

130 posts, read 426,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Did you ask her not to use that kind of language?
Why should she have to ask her anything. She stated it was at IBM. I'm sure to get hired an interview was conducted. If she passed it and got the job, she has enough sense to know that abusive language is not tolerated in the working world. Common sense.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-BG View Post
Why should she have to ask her anything. She stated it was at IBM. I'm sure to get hired an interview was conducted. If she passed it and got the job, she has enough sense to know that abusive language is not tolerated in the working world. Common sense.
You're right, she shouldn't have to ask. But what's done is done. And if the OP can not tolerate the language, she needs to have a private talk with this co-worker. She needs to address her in a polite manner. If that does not work, then she should consider escalating the matter to management.

But the OP has already mentioned that this woman is immature. If she is immature, then how do you think she would respond to finding out that someone close by (ahem, the OP) reported her to management? How does a high school cheerleader respond to the nerdy girl that told on her to the principal? Have you ever seen the movie "Mean Girls"? Watch it and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Given common sense and decorum in the workplace, it can be a problem, especially if overheard by customers or clients who may take offense, so I can see where it does need to be addressed.

That aside, I find so amusing that a certain combination of phonetic sounds is considered so "offensive" by some people. Buck, duck, puck and muck are all fine but replace that first letter with an "f" and some people get so weirded out.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
If I had a friendly relationship with the coworker, then I'd confront her in a nonthreatening way. Otherwise, I'd have no problem describing her behavior to management and letting them deal with it. I could care less if she found out or got mad at me. I'd sure as heck not privately discuss it with her--or anyone else for that matter. At best, I could only "ask" (since I don't have the authority to reprimand or fire her) her to not use the language which gives her the choice to say "no". No way would I put myself in that position.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-BG View Post
You should talk to the person privatley first. Depending on the person's response should tell whether you need to bring it to management.

People don't like confrontation. Its easier to have someone else deal with it they think. However it typically causes more problems because rarley the person is fired for a first offense and now you will have to work with this person who will maybe have it in for you now.

I would confront her about it, if nothing changes bring a co-worker or two and confront her again. If nothing changes it can be brought a supervisor with more than one persons complaint about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment