U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What do you expect from an employer?
Just a paycheck 4 11.76%
Just a paycheck and health/retirement benefits 21 61.76%
Career advancement opportunities 18 52.94%
Opportunities to learn and build new skills 18 52.94%
Mentorship from management 6 17.65%
Other perks (laptop, cell phone, company car, discounts, etc.) 2 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2011, 12:02 PM

4,619 posts, read 3,716,571 times
I "expect" only to be paid for my labor. I will create my own opportunities for training and/or advancement.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 PM

16,549 posts, read 7,061,218 times
I've always known either my present employer will create opportunities for me, or someone else will, and I learned early on, if one really wants to create a lasting impresion, to make sure if at all possible, to leave at the most critical time for you to be there. Pretend all is well, so no backup plans are in place. At one job quite some time ago, when I left 3 people shared my functions remotely in addition to their own jobs, and there was such bad will about being overworked, 2 of them who previously were not in the market, quit within 3 months of doing double-duty.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,622,647 times
Where is "livable wage"??

Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,004,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I've always known either my present employer will create opportunities for me, or someone else will, and I learned early on, if one really wants to create a lasting impresion, to make sure if at all possible, to leave at the most critical time for you to be there. Pretend all is well, so no backup plans are in place. At one job quite some time ago, when I left 3 people shared my functions remotely in addition to their own jobs, and there was such bad will about being overworked, 2 of them who previously were not in the market, quit within 3 months of doing double-duty.
You are so right. Honestly, let's be serious with each other. The ONLY way to make it in Corporate America is to play the game. You have to have leverage if you want to get anywhere in your career, particularly wthin the same organization. It is and has always been that way. We shouldn't lie to the kids anymore about this. Let's just be brutally honest with them from now on and tell them how it REALLY is. I know I will be.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:19 PM

16,549 posts, read 7,061,218 times
Z3NITH, I'd explain it a different way, but conceptually we agree. I played very competitive doubles tennis in a group of over 40 people for 12 years, with several of us able to compete against tennis club pros (not same as actual pro, but skilled). One day I had just finished winning with fav partner against a super team. We reformed teams and split up, as next twosome coming on court would have been hopelessly mismatched against us. I shook my partners hand, congratulated him, switched sides, and with him at net as opponent buzzed the first return I got within inches of his ear. Chin music, just like knocking the batter out of the box. Yes a fair part of the game, and when he did the same to me on occasion, I respected him for doing so. Corp America is much the same way. I favor the low corp tax route as a means to create super low unemployment, thus tilting supply/demand in favor of the former. But there is No room for warm and fuzzy feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment