U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 AM

999 posts, read 1,513,709 times

Advertisements

So I was wondering if anyone out there who is a web designer and what your experiences have been? I guess I have these few questions:

1) I am already proficient in Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop. Approximately, how hard is it to learn HTML, CSS, Dreamweaver and Flash? Is it comparatively on the same level in difficulty as Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop, or are they significantly harder?

2) I am thinking of taking intro classes at a community college on HTML, CSS, Dreamweaver and Flash at a community college. They are fairly cheap ($300 per class), each last seven weeks and meet once a week for three hours. Is it worth it, or am I better off just teaching myself? I currently work full time so it's hard for me to really dedicate too much time to teaching myself the programs during the week except for the weekends, where I have more time. Also, I already have Adobe Creative Suite on my laptop so it wouldn't be a problem using those. I am more concerned about HTML and CSS (I am completely ignorant on how those work).

3) Is it usually better to work under a salaried position for a company or better to freelance/start your own business? Or do most people just start at an entry-level job, freelance on the side and then when they get enough experience they start their own business?

4) How creative is this career path?

5) How competitive does it get?

6) How is the pay?

I already have a B.A. with good graphic design skills. However, Web Design really interests me and I am really interested in learning about the career. I feel like I need to do something soon because the last time I touched Adobe Suite was in January and I feel like I am going to start forgetting things! I also have online portfolio if anyone would like to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,060,740 times
I have a usless Web Design Certificate from a local well known college...with the invention of Web Editors anyone can design a site and Web Designers are a dime a dozen. Most companies don't hire an in house designer and if they do they are expected to also be a networker or another job too.

I suggest you look for something else, the "creative side" of computer things is long gone.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Well I certainly won't take the certificate classes for my community college as they require you also take an Illustrator class, Photoshop class, and InDesign class for the certificate. They won't let you waive it either if you have taken classes in them and I am not going to pay ($900) for three classes in learning how to use programs that I already know how to use.

Have you ever worked as a Web Designer, or did you just kind of give up because it wasn't worth it?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:05 AM

404 posts, read 1,024,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I suggest you look for something else, the "creative side" of computer things is long gone.
I totally disagree with that. The thing is that websites today are more than just flashy online brochures. Companies do not just want a "web designer" to just designs pretty graphics online, they need people who understand how to bring traffic and keep traffic on their site through good front end design. Places do not hire "web designers" or "web masters" anymore, the internet has become more complex demands more than just 1 person to manage and maintain a good online presence.

Look at jobs in San Francisco for "Front End Developer" and you'll get an idea of what you'll need to learn. The front end deals mainly with designing the interface of the web page and A/B testing to make sure your design is easy to navigate.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 AM

404 posts, read 1,024,155 times
It's good you're looking outside of just graphic design. These days EVERY kid wants to be a graphic designer and many of them are really good. I browse other forums and there are teenagers that create amazing designs just for fun and are more talented than "professional graphic designers" who stick with the same outdated designs.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 AM

4,791 posts, read 13,381,375 times
Use can learn some things from Lynda.com -- like Dreamweaver -> Dreamweaver Training & Tutorials

I still see a lot of web designer jobs listed in job ads.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 AM

Yeah, I know a variety of computer programs, like Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, GIS, AutoCAD, Rhinoceres, all the microsoft office programs and Google Sketchup. I just feel that learning Web Design will help a lot. Also I know web development is part of it, which I am okay with but I would prefer my job to be 25% Web Development and 75% Web Design. I just need to be able to be creative for the most part.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:57 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,060,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Well I certainly won't take the certificate classes for my community college as they require you also take an Illustrator class, Photoshop class, and InDesign class for the certificate. They won't let you waive it either if you have taken classes in them and I am not going to pay ($900) for three classes in learning how to use programs that I already know how to use.

Have you ever worked as a Web Designer, or did you just kind of give up because it wasn't worth it?
Yes I did, until the dot.com bubble burst, then my Certificate was worthless in the job market. I took the course because I was working as a tech writer and all the content was going to online, as a tech writer we also have a graphics background due to necessary editing and creating photos/graphics in documents and online content.

You will have to PROVE you have the programing skills to be a "front end developer" which is what a Web Designer is plus all the additional network programing skills. So if that's where you want to go you will need some sort of certification, but again, they are a dime a dozen...don't ask me...check out the job specs offered in todays market and you will see the web design is only part of the job discription, you have to wear a lot of hats now and that is only one of them. Again, you will also find very few jobs.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 PM

24 posts, read 32,916 times
There are pros and cons actually but I've had a lot of friends who are web design freelancers due to the fact that you can work whenever you feel like it and is perfect for parents who are working from home in order to attend to the needs of their children.

web design saudi

Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,540,220 times
I would say if you want to continue to work in gd you need web design skills and preferably interactive even. Print is dying, so you will need to get on the bandwagon in order to stay employed.

To get well paid you need to know the development side and that has NOTHING to do with graphic design at all and requires you to think in a different way. Get used to this. Ditto on lynda.com - I learned dreamweaver using this and as a result got my current position. Also search engine optimization and how to incorporate that into html is a valuable skill. Minor coding is a must have skill now from what I am seeing many places want this.

Also get used to the fact that ever other year will be a completely new program for you to learn. The web design field changes so fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment