U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 AM
 
999 posts, read 411,822 times
Reputation: 494
Default How many are working full-time without any benefits?

How many of you are working full-time without benefits (be it salary or hourly wage, but has to be at least 40 hours a week)? If so what industry are you in?

This is the first time I work without benefits, full-time, and I really can't stand it. I like the work, but there is such a sense of security that I feel is missing. I like my job, but lack of benefits is still making continue my job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 AM
 
2,286 posts, read 998,861 times
Reputation: 1669
I do have benefits. What industry are you in? Are you a contractor? Is your salary a little higher to offset the lack of benefits? Working with no benefits at a lower salary would be the thing that I would find most discomforting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 AM
 
999 posts, read 411,822 times
Reputation: 494
It's weird, I work for construction (more so that does ecological restoration construction) company and get paid like a contractor every week. However, what I do is their marketing and get paid about 35k (I get paid by the hour but it equals to that if I work 40hours a week for 52 weeks)

I really see how benefits make a difference. A few years ago I worked as an editor, only made 32k but I received full healthcare, dental insurance, paid holidays, sick days, vacation days and 401(k). During my time there I had to go to the emergency room to have my appendix removed and it was so nice that all I had to pay was $200 in the end. But now it's like I fear getting sick or if I just want to take a day off it will then dent my paycheck. I would almost wouldn't mind making less if it meant getting good benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 09:08 AM
 
Location: You know... That place
1,899 posts, read 1,253,002 times
Reputation: 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
How many of you are working full-time without benefits (be it salary or hourly wage, but has to be at least 40 hours a week)? If so what industry are you in?

This is the first time I work without benefits, full-time, and I really can't stand it. I like the work, but there is such a sense of security that I feel is missing. I like my job, but lack of benefits is still making continue my job search.
There are companies that offer benefits? I haven't had any benefits in my last couple of jobs. I finally convinced my boss at this job to give us some paid holidays so now I get to have Memorial Day off WITH pay!! Other than that, my benefits are that I can park in the parking lot, A/C in the office, a chair at my desk, and a paycheck at the end of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 AM
 
2,286 posts, read 998,861 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
It's weird, I work for construction (more so that does ecological restoration construction) company and get paid like a contractor every week. However, what I do is their marketing and get paid about 35k (I get paid by the hour but it equals to that if I work 40hours a week for 52 weeks)

I really see how benefits make a difference. A few years ago I worked as an editor, only made 32k but I received full healthcare, dental insurance, paid holidays, sick days, vacation days and 401(k). During my time there I had to go to the emergency room to have my appendix removed and it was so nice that all I had to pay was $200 in the end. But now it's like I fear getting sick or if I just want to take a day off it will then dent my paycheck. I would almost wouldn't mind making less if it meant getting good benefits.
Well 35K is pretty low for contract pay depending on your position. Does your contract define how many hours you are supposed to work for this client? If not, I'd consider looking for another contract position as well, especially if you can get your work done in under 30 hours or so. A company that hires you as a contractor and then expects you to be loyal like an employee is hogwash in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 09:44 AM
 
999 posts, read 411,822 times
Reputation: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Well 35K is pretty low for contract pay depending on your position. Does your contract define how many hours you are supposed to work for this client? If not, I'd consider looking for another contract position as well, especially if you can get your work done in under 30 hours or so. A company that hires you as a contractor and then expects you to be loyal like an employee is hogwash in my opinion.
I agree. It is an extremely bizarre place. Before this job I was completely and absolutely underemployed (like $12 and hour and only about 10 hours a week!) but this was higher pay and more hours. They told me that I would have a minimum of 25 hours per week, but most likely 40. So far it's been like 45 hours a week, which doesn't bother me too much because I will be making more $ since I am paid by the hour. However, I know I can still do better in terms of finding another job. The nice thing about this is, since I have no benefits, they don't give me any sick days, vacation days etc, I can take a day off very easily if I get a job interview. Luckily, they are understanding, and I don't think they expect me to be here in a year or two. The management is very nice and really flexible but that isn't good enough.

Trust me, I have not stopped looking for a job. This definitely is more of a transitional job than anything else. I mean I am doing much better than I was a few months ago and gaining some pretty good skills and experience. However, there is no way you can make a career out of this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 AM
 
999 posts, read 411,822 times
Reputation: 494
Not sure if I said it before but I do their marketing and also assist in office management. The place is really crazy. I don't hate it, I actually am content in the type of work I do. It's just the company structure....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
4,104 posts, read 4,558,094 times
Reputation: 6222
I work full time as a "contractor" with no benefits at all. My pay does not reflect the lack of benefits. The company pays a premium for contracting but the parasitic agency eats up so much that I end up earning less than an employee with benefits would.

To add insult to injury my agency decided to make me 1099 rather than W2 like every other agency did so I get to pay an extra 8% for self employment tax. I filed for SS-8 so we'll see what the IRS thinks about that.

Science is just a really crappy profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 PM
 
Location: California
339 posts, read 320,366 times
Reputation: 1984
I am a contractor working full-time without any benefits as well

Negative: No benefits (no PTO-no work no pay, no 401K matching and other perks)

Positive: 1) Wells known company (good for resume) 2) I can leave anytime without having to explain to potential employer why I am not a job hopper 3) My insurance is only $100 a month so I can afford it

In terms of pay...it was ok I can save atleast 1K a month and I am definately looking for better opportunity

In terms of work...I started to get a little bit bored since I learned most of my job duties Working environment is pretty good and people there are nice

In terms of job security...After been through company restructuring @ 1st first job and 2nd company went under water...I don't really believe in Job security for Perm job either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 10:57 PM
 
20,293 posts, read 15,462,370 times
Reputation: 9369
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I work full time as a "contractor" with no benefits at all. My pay does not reflect the lack of benefits. The company pays a premium for contracting but the parasitic agency eats up so much that I end up earning less than an employee with benefits would.

To add insult to injury my agency decided to make me 1099 rather than W2 like every other agency did so I get to pay an extra 8% for self employment tax. I filed for SS-8 so we'll see what the IRS thinks about that.

Science is just a really crappy profession.
Hopefully you did 1099 to an incorporated EIN, rather than your SS. That way you can funnel up to $49k into your 401k per year... minimize your taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top