Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,616 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'll keep this brief. I recently graduated college, and was accepted into grad school for September. I've been stuck at my part time job I had during college and I really want to get out of here. I work almost full time hours, work my butt off basically, with nothing to show for it on my paycheck. I've been here for nearly two years and have always been a good worker but was never offered the opportunity for advancement, yet some new girl whose grandmother works here, a nineteen year old who never went to college or even had a real job, got offered a management position. I have management experience for three years, plus a college degree. The management here is incompetent, and I don't mean to seem pompous, but I am too overqualified for this slave labor.I'm miserable here.

I do start a new job in September teaching at a local college, so I am definitely leaving retail Hell. But, it doesn't start until September is the problem. I have student loans to pay and can't afford it here. I want a new job for the Summer, but who will hire me for only four months? In fact, what job that isn't minimum wage would?

I'm just really stuck. I can't wait until September to start making decent money. I'm not in college anymore and can't survive off of these meager paychecks. I'm thinking maybe I'll look into a temp agency, but most want experience and aren't entry level. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 02:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,871,255 times
Why don't you apply for summer internship positions? They would likely pay more than a retail job and you'd get relevant experience. Consolidate your student loans and then apply for a hardship deferment for the summer.

As for the reason why the other person got promoted to management is very likely that she doesn't have the degree or qualifications you have. As your situation clearly demonstrates, someone with better qualifications isn't going to stick around in a retail job for long, not even in management. So why would they invest the time to train or the extra pay for someone who's just going to turn around and quit? It's a better investment for them to choose someone who will stay in that job for a very long time.

Remember this though: she very likely won't advance far beyond this management position. At best she may rise to the level of an assistant store manager, but even that doesn't pay very much. Not to live on for the rest of her life. You, on the other hand, have many more opportunities to advance and gain promotions.

As a miserable retail employee you are in the company of millions. And far better off than millions who have no job at all.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the response. I realize I may have come off as a bit pompous. I am grateful I at least have a job, which is why I haven't quit yet. Although, I despise this company because the store manager said to an employee that the company knows people can't find jobs. They use this as leverage to take advantage of hard working employees here. I just resent them, and don't wish to be part of an institution that practices unbalanced competition and treats some intelligent, talented and hard workers as if they were drones.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,687,592 times
Honestly, if your definition of a real rut is a 3.5 month stint before starting grad school, you may be on the road to considerable professional misery in your life. This job is temporary and it is a way for you to reach bigger goals. Look for something else if you like, but your options for finding something better for three months are small.

And sorry to sound harsh, but you come across more whiny than pompous. To consider yourself a slave laborer is ridiculous on many levels. You have a choice about whether or not to keep your job.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 PM

630 posts, read 1,047,360 times
hey trapped, are there any places near you that could hire you for seasonal work? Try to find a resort and get a job as a server (you'll make way more than minimum wage). THere's a resort near my house and i remember people making bank serving at the pool and then after the summer they'd move on

Old 05-15-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Honestly, if your definition of a real rut is a 3.5 month stint before starting grad school, you may be on the road to considerable professional misery in your life. This job is temporary and it is a way for you to reach bigger goals. Look for something else if you like, but your options for finding something better for three months are small.

And sorry to sound harsh, but you come across more whiny than pompous. To consider yourself a slave laborer is ridiculous on many levels. You have a choice about whether or not to keep your job.
No, I don't consider your response harsh. But if you could see my paychecks compared to the amount of hours I work a week, it may not seem like such a hyperbolic comparison.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,572,108 times
Since you're just looking for summer work how about getting a job as a server in a restaurant?

You could do very well with tips, and that is the perfect type of job for someone like yourself who is starting graduate school in the fall.

Before you know it will be September.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:41 AM

10,823 posts, read 14,897,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
As for the reason why the other person got promoted to management is very likely that she doesn't have the degree or qualifications you have. As your situation clearly demonstrates, someone with better qualifications isn't going to stick around in a retail job for long, not even in management.
The OP needs to suck it up a big. Half of May is gone and three months is nothing.

Not getting the "management position" should be taken as a compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment