Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:57 PM

145 posts, read 420,619 times

Advertisements

Your right Greg! I shouldn't let people get me down. Most of the people I work with are just unmotivated and content with the daily routine. Not to mention they are an older group and just can't wait to retire so they don't care anymore lol.

Sometimes when your around this sort of thing enough though it just gets you down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChris View Post
Your right Greg! I shouldn't let people get me down. Most of the people I work with are just unmotivated and content with the daily routine. Not to mention they are an older group and just can't wait to retire so they don't care anymore lol.

Sometimes when your around this sort of thing enough though it just gets you down
Totally understand NYChris. I'm 25. The next youngest person in "management" at my company is 37. The oldest is 75. If you met these people, you'd see that they, too, are complacent about their situation. None of them went to college. None of them have higher ambitions than what they do now. They are happy where they are at (they have told me this). I guess it should have been a sign, but oh well. You live, you learn.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChris View Post
Most of the people I work with are just unmotivated and content with the daily routine. Not to mention they are an older group and just can't wait to retire so they don't care anymore lol.
I can appreciate the predicament, but you should use this type of scenario to actually motivate you to want more, so that you don't wind up miserable and complacent like those around you. Take a good look at them, tell yourself 'That's not what I want to be!', and do something about it.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
The two jobs part doesn't scare me. I worked nearly full-time all throughout college. Last Christmas, I worked part-time at Target for a couple months, which I can't say will ever help my career unless I decide to go into retail management.

The one thing I can think of that I can do now is take classes towards an APICs CPIM certification. It's a specialization in Supply Chain Management that supposedly helps you learn how to count inventory (pretty elementary I know). But I'll still be in that same position where I don't have the experience that other employers are looking for.

I'm on the verge of quitting and just going back to school full-time (plan B) for something with better prospects. At least then, I can qualify for internships and hopefully get in with a company that respects people who want to move ahead in their career. I just feel that job hunting is futile for me while I'm here. I'm stuck in this dead end, entry-level prison.
I think its a good idea to get your CPIM certification. Can you also drive a forklift? Manufacturing is going to pick up in the next 18 months. Position yourself for a materials role. If you have your CPIM and know cycle counting, inventory control, and the physical parts of distribution you will be well positioned for some great jobs that will be opening up. Stop feeling sorry for yourself; grow up, take responsibility. Understand that no company owes you anything beyond the agreed upon pay for the work you do. So, you don't have the good fortune of working for one of Fortune Magazines 100 best employers. Get over it. You have a J-O-B. If you have an open, engaging disposition you will serve yourself much better. Look ahead and position yourself for the next job.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
I'm not sure that anything I have to offer is going to be of any help (that's a good start!) but there have been several times during a VERY long working life (almost 50 years now) that I've been stuck in the same sort of situation and I know how very frustrating it is. When working is such a huge part of one's life, settling for boring mediocrity is utterly painful.

My MO (and this doesn't work for everybody, of course) has been to get out of the rut as quickly as possible and move on to sometimes something completely different. Starting off as a government entry-level clerk I taught myself to type on a manual typewriter (you know, those funny machines you only see in old movies and antique shows these days!), learned general office procedures and moved onwards and upwards in many different arenas, learning more and more as time progressed.

I went on to own two successful businesses in very disparate fields, never made a fortune but have always kept a roof over my head (had no children so didn't have to worry about things there) and the continued learning experience has always been a joy despite all the ups and downs.

I think the main thing is to never negate a new opportunity because you think the job is something that's below you or something you just aren't interested in. Heck, I even sold vacuum cleaners door to door for a while and did really well at it and met some really interesting people along the way. Quit that one when two paychecks in a row didn't cash but I don't regret even that job because it taught me how NOT to do business. Crappy employers and dismal managers throughout the years taught me how NOT to be a crappy employer or manager and thus I became a good employer/manager.

I think too many people pigeon-hole themselves where employment is concerned. At 65 I'm now getting ready to close up my present business which I've had for 15 years and, although as yet I've no clue what lies on the horizon, I remain optimistic that even at my advanced age, something will come along. Hope this helps just a little. Good luck and cheers!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I think its a good idea to get your CPIM certification. Can you also drive a forklift? Manufacturing is going to pick up in the next 18 months. Position yourself for a materials role. If you have your CPIM and know cycle counting, inventory control, and the physical parts of distribution you will be well positioned for some great jobs that will be opening up. Stop feeling sorry for yourself; grow up, take responsibility. Understand that no company owes you anything beyond the agreed upon pay for the work you do. So, you don't have the good fortune of working for one of Fortune Magazines 100 best employers. Get over it. You have a J-O-B. If you have an open, engaging disposition you will serve yourself much better. Look ahead and position yourself for the next job.
Overall, your post is appreciated. OTOH, I don't appreciate the rude insinuations that I need to grow up and take responsibility. Not only is it condescending, it isn't a correct assertion. Apparently, you haven't paid much attention to my posts on this forum. I've taken more responsibility of my life than most 25 year olds I know.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 05-19-2011 at 09:31 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
I've felt like that for the past two years Completely stagnant... I have more potential than where I'm at... etc.

I'm lucky in that I just got a job offer on Monday from another company. Something a LITTLE different, building off the skills I have but using them in a different way, with a pretty substantial raise. Same industry, just a different job. Not a job I'd been looking for but the HR manager was visionary and thought, wow, this will be an awesome fit.

So I guess I'd suggest looking for alternate job titles... something that is still in your wheelhouse, but that you might not have considered. They might find your experience more impressive than jobs in your natural upward mobility path. It'll be a diagonal move instead of straight up, and will broaden your experience

Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I've felt like that for the past two years Completely stagnant... I have more potential than where I'm at... etc.

I'm lucky in that I just got a job offer on Monday from another company. Something a LITTLE different, building off the skills I have but using them in a different way, with a pretty substantial raise. Same industry, just a different job. Not a job I'd been looking for but the HR manager was visionary and thought, wow, this will be an awesome fit.

So I guess I'd suggest looking for alternate job titles... something that is still in your wheelhouse, but that you might not have considered. They might find your experience more impressive than jobs in your natural upward mobility path. It'll be a diagonal move instead of straight up, and will broaden your experience
Yeah, I've started including other fields in my search, such as human resources/services. The only thing discouraging about these job postings are the specific educational/experience requirements. Though I KNOW I could do the job, I'm not sure how HR will look at a a resume that doesn't have all the requirements fulfilled, particularly in this economy. I'm still applying though, because I guess you never know.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:44 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
To circumvent that, try Craigslist. That's where I found my job And it's good money, not an admin type job. I was surprised, but I'd heard good things about Craigslist. You'll go right to the hiring manager, sometimes... I think that's what happened for me. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
To circumvent that, try Craigslist. That's where I found my job And it's big money, not an admin type job. I was surprised, but I'd heard good things about Craigslist. You'll go right to the hiring manager, sometimes... I think that's what happened for me. Best of luck to you!
Actually, that's how I found my current job. Obviously, not a great example, but Craigslist can have some decent, valid job postings. It is a cheap site to post on, so that does make me question if the company is just that: cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment