Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 05:53 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times

Advertisements

I think some of them are judgmental about the color of the shirt you chose to wear at the interview, or the brand of toothpaste you used that morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I think some of them are judgmental about the color of the shirt you chose to wear at the interview, or the brand of toothpaste you used that morning.
Maybe, but it doesn't really matter... Hopefully you would have networked your way into being recommended by an insider before actually sitting at the interview. Otherwise, you're just shooting in the dark.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
I really feel for the people who have been unemployed for so long. What excuses will they give?
I feel very strongly that you shouldn't be giving excuses for anything in an interview. If you were laid off, then it wasn't your fault that you were out of a job. Explaining what you've been doing with your time is something you should do, but an explanation isn't the same as an excuse.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:23 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I feel very strongly that you shouldn't be giving excuses for anything in an interview. If you were laid off, then it wasn't your fault that you were out of a job. Explaining what you've been doing with your time is something you should do, but an explanation isn't the same as an excuse.
Unfortunately employers do not feel the same. Your answer is never good enough for them .

Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Of course they're ignoring this fact!!!! HELLO......? They've BEEN ignoring it. That's why the unemployment situation is not getting any better. I live in the whereabouts of New York City, where everyone thinks you can get hired at the snap of your fingers. Couldn't be further from the truth. It's more competitive and cutthroat than ever. I know people with 4 year degrees, with Master's degrees, with 10 to 15 years of work experience and they have...."1 year gap".... "2 year gap...." One woman I know has 2 pages of nothing but Fortune500 companies on her resume and ...has a 2 year gap. Like I said, they will either have to cover up the gaps, or go on welfare...or move to Canada or somewhere else. I say just cover the gap somehow, get a reference for that time period and move on with your life. Seriously. Enough already with deifying these employers, and HR. The moralizers and "tell the truth, nothing but the truth people" won't pay your bills and put food on your table.
I'm working at an assignment and there is a guy from the Florida office working up here. He says his daughter just "loves NYC" and wants to move up here. He tells me "She's SO smart and a great worker"...etc..etc. It was as though he was trying to sell her to me. I asked what her major for college was....he stated..PSYCHOLOGY. Uhm, yeah...good luck with that I guess. I'm not saying you can't do anything with that degree, but attempting to break into NYC with that..yeah..good luck.

He then proceeded to ask me for a list of what recruiting agencies I have dealt with. Instead, I gave him my information and told him to have his daughter contact me. I'm NOT referring people blindly and I'm sick of all these little 20-something year olds talking about "OH EM GEEH, I just luvvv NYC and I wanna move there and I'm gonna get a place and a job and a this and a that". These little idiots need to do their research and stop having Mommy and Daddy trying to hook it up.

It irritates me because things are SOOOO bad right now and it's SOOOO easy to to just look it right up on the internet. Many of them think they are 'different' and will defy all of the odds. They think we're talking out of our asses and just being "negative", so they come anyway.

It drives me nuts. I have no idea what he thinks she's going to do fresh out of college with a Psych degree. Apparently she's studying for the GRE because she's having a hard time passing it and just needs a little push...but she's "smart".

Vent over. Let me have a cup of coffee so I can be a nice human being now.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Maybe, but it doesn't really matter... Hopefully you would have networked your way into being recommended by an insider before actually sitting at the interview. Otherwise, you're just shooting in the dark.
Another example of how ridiculously difficult it is to get a job these days. It's no longer just the case where you can apply for a job and get an interview and get the job based on your merits and personality. Now you have to have insiders and moles working for you.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Another example of how ridiculously difficult it is to get a job these days. It's no longer just the case where you can apply for a job and get an interview and get the the job based on your merits and personality. Now you have to have insiders and moles working for you.
I have had several recruiters tell me this blatantly. They have flat out admitted to me "It's WHO you know. Not WHAT you know". Harsh truth huh?

I guess it's time for me to be a LOT more social. Unfortunately, being social costs a buttload of money...drinks...traveling..etc. SIGH

I need some ideas on how I can be social with people without spending tons of money lol.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I have had several recruiters tell me this blatantly. They have flat out admitted to me "It's WHO you know. Not WHAT you know". Harsh truth huh?

I guess it's time for me to be a LOT more social. Unfortunately, being social costs a buttload of money...drinks...traveling..etc. SIGH

I need some ideas on how I can be social with people without spending tons of money lol.
I know what you mean. I attended a professional gathering last night at a local micro-brewery. Fortunately, the drinks were free. I suppose you don't have to buy any drinks unless you need it for social lubrication. OTOH, it costs $150/yr. to be part of this group.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean. I attended a professional gathering last night at a local micro-brewery. Fortunately, the drinks were free. I suppose you don't have to buy any drinks unless you need it for social lubrication. OTOH, it costs $150/yr. to be part of this group.
Well at only $12.50/month that's not TOO bad. Message me about this brewery! Does it happen to be in the NYC area? Let's share ideas? I, for one, am looking to get a hobby LOL. I've learned that's how you meet people..oh yeah...and having a dog!

Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I tell them I went back to college (which I did). I'm almost aggravated on the interviews I've been on because there still seems to be a stigma about resume gaps. I know MANY people who have been unemployed for a year or more and they weren't in school or dealing with anything. I wonder how things fare for them. It's as though these employers are ignoring the fact that we are in the worst recession of the century.
I think that faced with stacks of resumes that all look the same after a while, it simply gets down to looking for reasons to eliminate some of them and turn the pile into something more manageable, and gaps could be one of the reasons. No, not fair, but reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search