Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 02:26 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times

Advertisements

I am an RN at a LTC facility. I have been working there for several months, but it is an awful job with a poor nurse/resident ratio and it is causing me great physical pain because I am on my feet running up and down hard floors for 8 1/2 hours every shift without a break.

A couple of weeks ago, I interviewed for a contingent position in a local hospital. I have several years of hospital experience. I could tell that the interview went very well, and the lady who interviewed me even said, "Good interview!" and was describing things to me like the dress code, absentee policy, etc. that are things one probably wouldn't share with someone that they weren't planning on hiring.

Sure enough, I got a call last Friday from a lady in the hospital's HR department telling me congratulations, if I wanted the job it was mine, and she was going to email me a copy of the contract to look over over the weekend, which she did, and she asked me to call her back Monday (yesterday) to let her know if I wanted the job. I called her yesterday, got her voice mail, and left her a message stating that I would like to accept the position. This was at around 9:30 AM. She never called back, so at around 3 PM, I called the HR dept. and told the secretary that I had called the lady back, as she asked me to, and I wondered if she got my message. Her reply was, "Did you get her voice mail? Oh, she's been in and out of interviews all day, but if you left a message, she'll call you back."

So now, here it is, Tuesday afternoon at almost 4:30 PM and still no call back. I am getting worried that maybe they have changed their minds about hiring me, and I already gave my two weeks' notice to my current employer after the lady called and offered me this job last Friday. It's not that I really have any regrets (other than financial ones, of course, although I am married, my dh works, and we have another source of income as well) because I know that I can't do this job anymore physically anyway, as it has given me plantar fascitis, sciatica, and other assorted aches and pains that I can't sustain any longer.

Sorry this got so long, but the bottom line is: would you call the lady at the hospital again and leave another message? Should I just assume that she has been busy and continue to wait for a call back?

What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
If you already left her a message, then give her another day.

This is why I always insist on having job offers in writing, before giving notice. I got burned once before in a recession. It took two months to get hired. The guy had begun with over 500 applicants, then offered me the job. Called me on a Friday morning, but said I HAD to start Tuesday or he'd have to hire the next guy. He said HR would call Monday morning to set up a time for me to drug test, fill out the paperwork. I called my job and gave them the news. They were pissed and did not even want me to finish out the schedule.

Monday afternoon, I called and asked for him, but was re-routed to HR. They had never heard of me and transferred my call. I got to talk to the guy's boss. Apparently, he had an argument with his boss Friday afternoon and got fired/quit (don't remember which). They were in-house promoting someone else to take his place. As my position would work very closely with the new guy, he was going to hire his own. I was told that my application/resume would be viewed by the new guy, good luck, etc. Told me that if I'd had it in writing, that would've been 'different'.

Screwed me over royally.

Since then, whenever I'm offered a position, I relate the story and my reason for insistence on a letter of employment before I will give notice.

I hope that's not what's happened to you, but if it does, chalk it up and remember to get it in writing next time.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry that that happened to you, it sounds so unfair.

When she called and offered me the job last Friday, she talked about scheduling a physical and background check, so I also took that as a sign that I was hired for sure.

This is stressful. I guess I'll just keep waiting.

Thanks again, and I hope that many good things come your way. : )

Old 05-17-2011, 05:08 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,191 times
Never assume you have the job until you walk in the first day or you have signed a contract for employment.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
If you already left her a message, then give her another day.

This is why I always insist on having job offers in writing, before giving notice. I got burned once before in a recession. It took two months to get hired. The guy had begun with over 500 applicants, then offered me the job. Called me on a Friday morning, but said I HAD to start Tuesday or he'd have to hire the next guy. He said HR would call Monday morning to set up a time for me to drug test, fill out the paperwork. I called my job and gave them the news. They were pissed and did not even want me to finish out the schedule.

Monday afternoon, I called and asked for him, but was re-routed to HR. They had never heard of me and transferred my call. I got to talk to the guy's boss. Apparently, he had an argument with his boss Friday afternoon and got fired/quit (don't remember which). They were in-house promoting someone else to take his place. As my position would work very closely with the new guy, he was going to hire his own. I was told that my application/resume would be viewed by the new guy, good luck, etc. Told me that if I'd had it in writing, that would've been 'different'.

Screwed me over royally.

Since then, whenever I'm offered a position, I relate the story and my reason for insistence on a letter of employment before I will give notice.

I hope that's not what's happened to you, but if it does, chalk it up and remember to get it in writing next time.
Something like that happened to me about 11 years ago...man it was TERRIBLE!!! I received an email from the HR saying I had the job but when I asked for my paperwork, etc...they didn't know me. The person who had "hired" me screwed up and somehow got fired...oh well..

Old 05-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Wow, that sounds rough! That must have been a terrible feeling.

Well, this lady at least still works there, because she still has voice mail, lol. And like I said, even if I don't end up getting hired, I would have had to quit the other job anyway. I was in so much pain at the end of a shift, even with taking a strong NSAID that my doctor prescribed, that I could barely walk out to my car. No job is worth that, and no way could it have ever been long term.

Well, I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings...I am prepared, though, to tell her if for some reason I don't get hired, that I quit my other job because she offered me the job over the phone. Some people wouldn't care, but maybe she'll have a conscience and feel obligated to keep her word.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
What you did was very foolish. Why would you think you had the job when she was talking about scheduling a physical and a background check? Those are prerequisites for getting the job offer.

You're background check is probably fine and if only standing for too long is a problem you're OK with the exam part, but until those are over and done with you don't have the job.

Since those were requirements of getting the job until the BC is done and the physical is scheduled you don't have the job.

You have the job when they give you a written offer with a salary, until that time you say nothing to your current employer.

And I wouldn't call her again, let her call you.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM

Thanks for your input, but since I would have had to quit the LTC job regardless of if I had this job secured or not, I wouldn't exactly say that it was foolish. If I was a single mom and my paycheck was our entire income, that would be one thing, but since we also have rental property income and my dh's income, it will be fine if I don't get this job and have to look for another one, as there are quite a few RN jobs available in my area. The main thing for me is that I really want this job because it's in the field of nursing where my experience lies and the hours are much more flexible, but if I don't get it, I'll find something else. I was simply asking if I should call her again or just let it ride.

Thanks again.

ETA: Maybe things are different in other lines of work, but with every nursing job that I have ever had they have formally offered me the job before the physical and the background check and they were actually just a formality. I have a spotless background check, and there is nothing physically that would cause them to reject me; I'm not overweight, I don't have any chronic health problems, and I can lift things easily. The problems such as plantar fascitis are a direct result of the job that I have been doing, since they started when I started that job and I never had any problems with any other nursing job before that. LTC nursing is exceptionally demanding in every way and not something that I would recommend for the faint of heart.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 11,168 times
wow. i am sorry to hear you went through all that stress. I know this is alittle late in a reply to your posting but I know exactly how you feel I hope you found the job you wanted. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment