Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 09:24 PM

16 posts, read 170,780 times

Advertisements

So a couple months ago our department (IT) was audited by a third party security firm. As a result everyone but the three top guys retained full domain admin rights. Everyone else was given rights on resources as needed.

That has caused everyone so many headaches from having to wait on these top dogs to grant us -anyone from the helpdesk and up- access rights to things we need. I understand the arrangement but cannot help becoming frustrated seeing how my emails, calls and in person requests go unanswered for days until they feel like it. For example the helpdesk until today couldnt do simple stuff such as clearing print queues, etc. Then I get all that and more. Other sys admin stuff I used to do I cant do anymore and yet these guys ignore me including the main boss.

So today they asked me how things were going so the show began. I was among some of us that were labeled 'negative' and not being able to handle the 'challenges' that come with an IT profession. No matter how many examples I would bring they would either say they were out of my job scope or tried to sugar coat and downplay the need for rights or say that I had some sort of rights. I was told all I had to do was bring it up to their attention and they could handle it in minutes just like they did right at that moment, thats when I got up and in a very emotional manner I said that thats exactly what I have told these two guys in daily emails and phone calls and despite that I have given them the benefit of the doubt and not question why they take so long to respond. I last said that everyday I come across a different issue and I just had it with having to wait around just so that I can do my JOB!!! Am I being negative???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Welcome to corporate America, never tell the truth when asked loaded questions like that.
Tell them what they WANT to hear.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 PM

very true; I'm just one of those few people that will not bow down and be phony. period.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:53 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
yea man, just keep your mouth shut and do whatever stupid policy is intact. With my job, I drive around ALOT. I mean, I drive 30 miles north, go back to south, then go back north. The system is too stupid to reorder the time because it would make it harder for the sales side so I'll go ahead and drive 90 miles instead of 30-35. Plus, it keeps me busy driving the same route twice in two hours.

The more you complaint, the more the remember you in the wrong way. Think about it, in the future if you complain alot and you want to transfer or get promoted the bosses will think to themselves, "all this guy does is complain...he doesn't have leadership".

Old 05-18-2011, 05:53 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default Similar situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny_blanco07 View Post
So a couple months ago our department (IT) was audited by a third party security firm. As a result everyone but the three top guys retained full domain admin rights. Everyone else was given rights on resources as needed.

That has caused everyone so many headaches from having to wait on these top dogs to grant us -anyone from the helpdesk and up- access rights to things we need. I understand the arrangement but cannot help becoming frustrated seeing how my emails, calls and in person requests go unanswered for days until they feel like it. For example the helpdesk until today couldnt do simple stuff such as clearing print queues, etc. Then I get all that and more. Other sys admin stuff I used to do I cant do anymore and yet these guys ignore me including the main boss.

So today they asked me how things were going so the show began. I was among some of us that were labeled 'negative' and not being able to handle the 'challenges' that come with an IT profession. No matter how many examples I would bring they would either say they were out of my job scope or tried to sugar coat and downplay the need for rights or say that I had some sort of rights. I was told all I had to do was bring it up to their attention and they could handle it in minutes just like they did right at that moment, thats when I got up and in a very emotional manner I said that thats exactly what I have told these two guys in daily emails and phone calls and despite that I have given them the benefit of the doubt and not question why they take so long to respond. I last said that everyday I come across a different issue and I just had it with having to wait around just so that I can do my JOB!!! Am I being negative???
Hey Benny, after nine months w/current employer and still no access to needed apps and resources I simply started documenting 'no access provided' and let the crap go. When questioned, two months later, why certain aspects of my daily performance were not being completed I simply advised them to pull up the notes and notice I had not been given adequate access for the past 10 months. Oh, I was very polite and apologetic. I had all required access w/in two days. You can only do what you can do w/the tools provided to you.
Koale

Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 AM

That sounds good, keep my mouth shut and document 'no access'.. Well I have done exactly that for the last two months but then the tetosterone built up lol

Old 05-18-2011, 02:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Excellent advice.

Bottom line, the pay is the same.

Document, document, document. Email is your friend. Always maintain the 'paper trail'.

The day will come when you are challenged for not responding in a timely manner to some emergency. You need to be able to prove the problem was caused by your lack of access to allow you to resolve the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment