Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:27 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

You guys are too kind to lunch thieves. I was thinking about an axle grease and ball bearing sandwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 06:30 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
You guys are too kind to lunch thieves.
I agree. People here steal lunches because they're lazy and/or greedy. There's usually enough free food around here -- leftovers from meetings etc. -- that even the truly hungry are covered. Yet they choose to take someone else's lunch.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:32 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
If only you could some how put a capsule of ink in the sandwich. Then when they bit it. Well, someone is going to be embarrassed the rest of the day.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:38 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
My office has a system: Anything not labeled is up for grabs and anything like jam, condiments, etc kept in the door are communal (because they take up so much space). We clean out the fridge weekly and if anything is not labeled with a date on it (either written or a printed exp. date) then it gets tossed.

The only problem we have run into are people stealing sodas and not caring that they are labeled.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:53 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I've run into it twice.

Years ago at my current job (teaching) one guy would steal another teacher's lunch every day. Neither of these two guys was wrapped too tight to begin with. It got so bad that victim started to chain the Faculty Room's refrigerator door shut, and he had the only key.

Before that in the glass plant there was one guy that did the one bite out of every lunch trick. He brought his own lunch so paybacks were a *****. Think the first first National Lampoon's Vacation movie and Imogene Coca eating the sandwich the dog got to. That was part one.

Part two came a couple weeks later on 3-11 shift on a Friday when he was going out after work. He came to work dressed in all his disco white finery. He really didn't have a chance to get dirty as he drove a fork-lift. Well, towards the end of the shift someone greased up the seat and the steering wheel of the lift with bearing grease when he was in the bathroom. Incredible reaction, wish I had a camera.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:06 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
That some people have to be hungry. Folks in our dept keep the freezer stocked w/meals just in case someone 'forgot' their lunch or are a bit broke and don't have money for groceries or lunch. Noone asks questions or worries about who ate a pizza or a cup-a-soup or a frozen meal. It's there for the taking. It's a good cause. Oh, yeah...here in Hawaii we call it 'the Spirit of Aloha'.
Koale

I love this idea..Im going to send an announcement..to see if we can do this..we have plenty of cabinets here..if anyone wants to bring something extra and put it in the free forgot my lunch cabinet they can take lunch from there..
Im just hoping someone dont steal the food and take it home??
But I love the idea?

Thanks bunches

Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
I love this idea..Im going to send an announcement..to see if we can do this..we have plenty of cabinets here..if anyone wants to bring something extra and put it in the free forgot my lunch cabinet they can take lunch from there..
Im just hoping someone dont steal the food and take it home??
But I love the idea?

Thanks bunches
I would send an email to the HR dept first asking permission about this idea before you send out an "announcement".

For one thing you're not a permanent employee there and an idea like this is something that would normally be generated by HR.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:32 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
That some people have to be hungry. Folks in our dept keep the freezer stocked w/meals just in case someone 'forgot' their lunch or are a bit broke and don't have money for groceries or lunch. Noone asks questions or worries about who ate a pizza or a cup-a-soup or a frozen meal. It's there for the taking. It's a good cause. Oh, yeah...here in Hawaii we call it 'the Spirit of Aloha'.
Koale
That was one of the frustrating things about when this happened at my office. We had a "free lunch" section. Those weren't touched by the thief. Instead, the entire section was cleaned out in one day because of one selfish person. Everyone had to dip into it to replace the items eaten.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:09 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Just taking bites and putting it back? That is REALLY GROSS. So, what happened to him? Was he reprimanded, was there a public humiliation? Since he was a VP, if someone would have sabotaged the food to make him sick, would they have been fired, I wonder?
He left very soon after this incident. He was considered one of the "untouchables" (I am sure you all know what I am talking about). Since I had the incident recorded and any form of theft meant immediate termination, when I confronted him about it (I was HR Manager) he said he would resign. He handed in his letter of resignation the next day.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I would send an email to the HR dept first asking permission about this idea before you send out an "announcement".

For one thing you're not a permanent employee there and an idea like this is something that would normally be generated by HR.

Yes..I will make sure HR knows...I would have to go through them also..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment