U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 AM

8,268 posts, read 10,310,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
They ask for definitions and cultural origins for clues.. if it was just memorization, why bother with them?
They have also learned more cultural points from their dedication to study.

Quote:
There are Russian, German, even Asian origins to some words.
Of course there are German origins, I just can't think of an English word with a Chinese origin off the top of my head. I'm sure there must be some, it just isn't coming to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Actually, you'd need to study language too. Not all of the words in a spelling bee are found in webster's after you get past county finals.

if studying a dictionary was all that was needed, imagine how many people could compete in German, Spanish, or Dutch spelling bees.
Yeah I agree, that article said etymology, science, geography, history and literature. Either way it still seems mainly memorization of both words and facts it the key. A culture that fosters a dedication to study study study.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 AM

398 posts, read 1,184,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
lol lol lol

I was referring to Americans, as you brought up most Americans not speaking a second language. Most don't have much need for it, and never will.
Uhm, I am american and many job openings ask for for spanish speaking a plus...mandarin speaking a plus.

So it is necessary for many jobs now and will become even more necessary in the future.

Quote:
Really? Where? You mean kids who grow up around tourist areas?
I haven't been to an asian country where I couldn't speak in English with many random people on the streets and street vendors.

As far as tourist areas... Do Anglo-Americans in tourist areas speak foreign languages???? NOPE.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:54 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,086,382 times
Quote:
As far as tourist areas... Do Anglo-Americans in tourist areas speak foreign languages???? NOPE.
I think you underestimate Anglo-Americans.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah I agree, that article said etymology, science, geography, history and literature. Either way it still seems mainly memorization of both words and facts it the key. A culture that fosters a dedication to study study study.
Of course it's a key, but as I said, memorization alone isn't good enough.

All the Elite bookworms of any nationality can memorize, but the edge is the one who also understands languages as well.

Memorization is an important requirement for most academics, technology and mathematics, science... etc. etc.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Uhm, I am american and many job openings ask for for spanish speaking a plus...mandarin speaking a plus.
It might be, but will still be useful to a very small minority of Americans.

Quote:
I haven't been to an asian country where I couldn't speak in English with many random people on the streets and street vendors.
Really? I've found in most of Asia it is either educated people or people around tourist areas that are exposed to English are the ones who can throw English around. India is the biggest exception, I'm amazed at how many people can speak English there even in rural areas. Take a small town in China that isn't a tourism destination I don't think you'll find uneducated people speaking English. According to wiki it is 0.77%, but yeah I know that is wiki. It says that is for da lu only.

Quote:
They usually speak English, so the locals who deal with them usually can too. Interestingly that chart of % English speakers shows Thailand much higher at 10%. The reason is probably tourism, that is a major driver of their economy.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I think you underestimate Anglo-Americans.
Actually, I'm not... since I am an American and I don't know many Anglo Americans who speak a second language.

There is alot of anger directed at those who insist that America should be bi-lingual, that hostility is from the ones who only speak english and it's obvious which group is more vocal about that.

They claim that real Americans should only have to speak English.

Last edited by raymond2; 05-23-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
It might be, but will still be useful to a very small minority of Americans.

Really? I've found in most of Asia it is either educated people or people around tourist areas that are exposed to English are the ones who can throw English around. India is the biggest exception, I'm amazed at how many people can speak English there even in rural areas. Take a small town in China that isn't a tourism destination I don't think you'll find uneducated people speaking English. According to wiki it is 0.77%, but yeah I know that is wiki. It says that is for da lu only.

They usually speak English, so the locals who deal with them usually can too.
Lol, those english speakers in Asia don't have to be proficient, they can communicate in a 2nd language well enough even to joke with them. They understand more than you know.
In the Philippines, english is an official language... pretty much everyone can converse socially in english.
They also have filipino Chinese there, who speak Chinese and Tagalog and English.

How many anglo american street vendors speaks the language of tourists?
Bi lingual Amricans would be more successful I think or be more patient with tourists who don't speak English well. It's the immigrant bi-lingual american street vendor who usually speaks an extra language.

Maybe that's why I see less anglo-americans directly selling in tourist areas... there are usually immigrant vendors or shop owners who hire bi-lingual employees.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 PM

I remain unconvinced the time spent learning a second language will benefit most Americans, I think it would be better spent on core subjects.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Lol, those english speakers in Asia don't have to be proficient, they can communicate in a 2nd language well enough even to joke with them. They understand more than you know.
Lol, actually no, I think you are way overestimating the English skills of uneducated Asians.

Quote:
What anglo american street vendor who selling speaks the language of tourists?
They don't need to, the majority of tourists who they meet can speak some English. Very few tourists are going to show up in Thailand able to speak Thai, so unless the Thai vendors wants to stick to calculator wars the ability to communicate in English, which is pretty much the language of tourism, is very helpful. It opens the Thai vendor up to a huge portion of the potential customers. I've seen Japanese people using broken English to communicate with locals vendors in SE Asia, it is the lowest common denominator for tourism communuication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment