U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2011, 12:20 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,191,832 times
Reputation: 425

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I remain unconvinced the time spent learning a second language will benefit most Americans, I think it would be better spent on core subjects.
Doesn't matter what you believe, it's the reality America is facing.

When you have a large workforce of immigrants speaking spanish or large numbers of outsourced employees with passable english, where entire neighborhoods speaking mostly Spanish or Chinese... Little Havanas and Chinatowns, there's no choice.

Some Americans have said California shouldn't be part of America anymore due to number of spanish speaking legals and illegals who prefer to speak only in spanish.

Last edited by raymond2; 05-23-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2011, 12:31 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,191,832 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Lol, actually no, I think you are way overestimating the English skills of uneducated Asians.
Lol, Their bi-linguistic skills are better than those Americans who you say don't need to learn an extra language so they are OBVIOUSLY more deficient when it come to 2nd language skills!!!!

No ability to speak a foreign language vs some ability to speak a foreign language even amongst the poorest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
They don't need to, the majority of tourists who they meet can speak some English. Very few tourists are going to show up in Thailand able to speak Thai, so unless the Thai vendors wants to stick to calculator wars the ability to communicate in English, which is pretty much the language of tourism, is very helpful. It opens the Thai vendor up to a huge portion of the potential customers. I've seen Japanese people using broken English to communicate with locals vendors in SE Asia, it is the lowest common denominator for tourism communuication.
You just proved that they adapted to a multi-lingual world which gives them an advantage.

This is a GLOBAL economy for America with new legal and illegal immigrants, outsourcing, offshoring everywhere... that is what is being blamed for our high unemployment as evidenced by the subject as this thread itself!!!!

Immigrants, illegals or not... aren't leaving.
Outsourcing and Offshoring... is increasing.
Gee, I guess everything is just fine and dandy as they are... lol.

Last edited by raymond2; 05-23-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM
 
8,268 posts, read 10,377,187 times
Reputation: 4748
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Doesn't matter what you believe, it's the reality America is facing.
Nor does it matter that you have a skewed concept of this reality, we're just in an internet forum.

Quote:
When you have a large workforce of immigrants speaking spanish or large numbers of outsourced employees with OK english, where entire neighborhoods speaking mostly Spanish or Chinese... Little Havanas and Chinatowns, there's no choice.
Obviously there is a choice, as this is the reality right now yet only a small minority of Americans learn a foreign language to any level of proficiency. It might not be fair but the burden is on others, as English is king here, and that is where most people will spend their lives.

Quote:
Some Americans have said California shouldn't be part of America anymore due to number of spanish speaking legals and illegals who prefer to speak only in spanish.
You may use wacko extremist views of California secessionists to form your views, I choose not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 12:44 PM
 
8,268 posts, read 10,377,187 times
Reputation: 4748
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Lol, Their bi-linguistic skills are better than those Americans who you say don't need to learn an extra language so they are OBVIOUSLY more deficient when it come to 2nd language skills!!!!
Lol. Again, you are greatly overestimating the English skills of people in Asia. Educated people? Yes. Some countries like India and Filo, sure! Most? Not even close.

Quote:
You just proved that they adapted to a multi-lingual world which gives them an advantage.
Lol. I'll explain again. A vendor in Thailand gains a huge advantage because most tourists can speak some English. A vendor in the United States does not, because.... (drumroll) ... most tourists can speak some English.

Quote:
This is a GLOBAL economy for America with new legal and illegal immigrants, outsourcing, offshoring everywhere... that is what is blamed for our high unemployment as evidenced by the subject as this thread itself!!!!
Ah so best to run out and spend years of study so you can be fluent in Hindi or Tamil if you happen to be in a company that outsources software development and there are no other jobs for you. Then you can use your new language skills to speak to the engineers overseas at 2:00 am, who of course all speak much better English than you do their language. Good plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,191,832 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Nor does it matter that you have a skewed concept of this reality, we're just in an internet forum.
Of course, illegal immigrants and outsourcing seems to be a heated topic on forums that won't go away.

It's increasing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Obviously there is a choice, as this is the reality right now yet only a small minority of Americans learn a foreign language to any level of proficiency. It might not be fair but the burden is on others, as English is king here, and that is where most people will spend their lives.


You may use wacko extremist views of California secessionists to form your views, I choose not to.
Lol, It's the Americans who only speak english who are complaining that America is changing and demanding that English become our official language. Hasn't happened yet.

Really, Californians are the only ones complaining about whole neighborhoods not speaking english?

I'm being pressured to learn Spanish because that will help me with my contracted job dealing with mostly spanish speaking warehouse employees.

They are not the ones pressured to speak another language... many CAN speak english and even pretend not to speak it!
Employers aren't going to fire them so I have to adapt... otherwise the job will eventually go to someone who can speak spanish.

Last edited by raymond2; 05-23-2011 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,191,832 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Lol. Again, you are greatly overestimating the English skills of people in Asia. Educated people? Yes. Some countries like India and Filo, sure! Most? Not even close.
You are so ignorant.

NO foreign language skills for Americans who only speak english is NOT equivalent to SOME foreign language skills in Asia even amongst the poorest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Lol. I'll explain again. A vendor in Thailand gains a huge advantage because most tourists can speak some English. A vendor in the United States does not, because.... (drumroll) ... most tourists can speak some English.
I'll explain again since you are deficient in logic.
THE WORLD IS CHANGING... English only speakers are at a disadvantage to EVERYONE who can speak English AND their native language.

Americans who speak a 2nd language have more job prospects that those who DON'T.
That's why those who are complaining about pressures to learn another language in America are those Anglo-speaking ones.

This pressure for THEM to speak a language other than English is increasing every year.
There is outrage because there are entire NEIGHBORHOODS in the U.S. choosing NOT to speak english to conduct business and socially.

comprenda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Ah so best to run out and spend years of study so you can be fluent in Hindi or Tamil if you happen to be in a company that outsources software development and there are no other jobs for you. Then you can use your new language skills to speak to the engineers overseas at 2:00 am, who of course all speak much better English than you do their language. Good plan.
I know if an Asian american can speak those foreign languages in addition to English along with their excellent academic record will get the job over any Americans whose grades are second best and only speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 PM
 
8,268 posts, read 10,377,187 times
Reputation: 4748
Quote:
Lol, It's the Americans who only speak english who are complaining that America is changing and demanding that English become our official language.
I don't see the point of declaring anything an official language.

Quote:
Really, Californians are the only ones complaining about whole neighborhoods not speaking english?
You were the one citing people who believe California should leave the U.S. I couldn't care less what wackos like that think.

Quote:
I'm being pressured to learn Spanish because that will help me with my contracted job dealing with mostly spanish speaking warehouse employees so I am.
You would be part of the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 01:09 PM
 
8,268 posts, read 10,377,187 times
Reputation: 4748
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
You are so ignorant.

NO foreign language skills for Americans who only speak english is NOT equivalent to SOME foreign language skills in Asia even amongst the poorest.
I'm not where you learned that name calling helps you in a disagreement. It doesn't, just makes you look childish.

Again, you greatly overestimate the English skills of most people in Asia. Where in Asia have you been to make these wise observations? HK?

Quote:
I'll explain again since you are deficient in logic.
I'm not where you learned that name calling helps you in a disagreement. It doesn't, just makes you look childish.

Quote:
THE WORLD IS CHANGING... English only speakers are at a disadvantage to EVERYONE who can speak English AND their native language.
Not in my experience. I believe that for the majority there are other skills that are more advantageous and would be a wiser use of the years and years it takes to become proficient in a second language.

Quote:
Americans who speak a 2nd language have more job prospects that those who DON'T.
And maybe Americans who know computers have more job prospects than those who don't. Spend time there instead.

Quote:
This pressure for THEM to speak a language other than English is increasing every year.
There is outrage because there are entire NEIGHBORHOODS in the U.S. choosing NOT to speak english to conduct business and socially.
And I submit only a tiny fraction of the American workforce has encountered pressure to speak another language for work.


Quote:
I know if an Asian american can speak those foreign languages in addition to English along with their excellent academic record will get the job over any Americans whose grades are second best and only speak English.
Not at anywhere I've worked. We'd hire for relevant software development experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,191,832 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I don't see the point of declaring anything an official language.
Good, it's been rejected because the Latinos have large, vocal lobbyists who campaign against it.

They trounce the English only lobbyists everytime.

Same reason why illegal immigrants get health insurance and jobs in America instead of being deported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You were the one citing people who believe California should leave the U.S. I couldn't care less what wackos like that think.


You would be part of the minority.
uh, no.... hispanics will be the majority population in the U.S. in a few decades, so most americans will speak English and Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM
 
8,268 posts, read 10,377,187 times
Reputation: 4748
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
uh, no.... hispanics will be the majority population in the U.S. in a few decades, so most americans will speak English and Spanish.
U.S. Population Projections: 2005-2050 - Pew Hispanic Center

Hispanics will make up 29% of the U.S. population in 2050,

Uh, no. Most of those won't even be foreign born and will speak English fluently. You continue to great exaggerate the need to learn a foreign language for people working in the United States, just as you grealy exaggerate the English skills of uneducated Asians overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top