Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:14 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,615 times

Advertisements

I just finished watching "Waiting for Superman" (which I highly recommend).

In the film, they reasoned that lots of technical jobs were being outsourced in America because there were not enough technically qualified candidates to fill them.

I've heard the complete opposite on this and other forums.

Thus I ask, do you believe this is why jobs are being outsourced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 06:49 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
No. Jobs are outsourced b/c labor overseas is cheaper. And the businesses that outsource love to blame academia for why they outsource so that busiiness doesn't look like the unpatriotic bad guy. Businesses often go overseas for tax breaks, cheap labor, materials, etc. and they always reason that they "have" to in order to stay afloat.

But it's sort of ridiculous to say that U.S. college graduates are not "qualified" for a position as a customer service rep or telemarketer or even "techie"; there are plenty of qualified people for those positions, they just demand a higher pay check b/c they live in a country with a higher cost of living. So, by going overseas, the company can pocket the larger difference between labor and product cost. The result is usually a lower-costing product but less jobs and job stability for U.S. citizens, which is why the working class in the U.S. has become a land of consumers living off of credit.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:47 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
No. Jobs are outsourced b/c labor overseas is cheaper. And the businesses that outsource love to blame academia for why they outsource so that busiiness doesn't look like the unpatriotic bad guy. Businesses often go overseas for tax breaks, cheap labor, materials, etc. and they always reason that they "have" to in order to stay afloat.

But it's sort of ridiculous to say that U.S. college graduates are not "qualified" for a position as a customer service rep or telemarketer or even "techie"; there are plenty of qualified people for those positions, they just demand a higher pay check b/c they live in a country with a higher cost of living. So, by going overseas, the company can pocket the larger difference between labor and product cost. The result is usually a lower-costing product but less jobs and job stability for U.S. citizens, which is why the working class in the U.S. has become a land of consumers living off of credit.
Pretty much spot on.

Follow the money is the age old saying!

Eventually the outsourcing trend will even out. Wages are rising in developing nations. Likewise, wages in developed nations are dropping. Eventually those two will even out where the incentive to go overseas will be marginal at best.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:57 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Outsourced or offshored ??

Old 05-21-2011, 10:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Outsourcing is also the trend as the large corporations are hiring a lot of temp labor to avoid the benefit costs. Look for this to increase.

Offshoring for numerous reasons, i.e. labor costs lower, tax reasons, access to foreign markets, and they don't have to deal with any govt/environmental regulations.

It only matters what the beancounters and the stock flippers think at the end of the day.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:35 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
It's all about the money and doing it cheaper.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Outsourcing is about money and doing it better. When you can get external experts to work on projects without having to retrain employees on every project that comes up, it doesn't make sense.

Also, it doesn't always make sense to keep permanent staff on payroll. There's times when there's more work and others when there is less.

Last edited by NJBest; 05-21-2011 at 11:04 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Outsourcing is also the trend as the large corporations are hiring a lot of temp labor to avoid the benefit costs. Look for this to increase.

Offshoring for numerous reasons, i.e. labor costs lower, tax reasons, access to foreign markets, and they don't have to deal with any govt/environmental regulations.

It only matters what the beancounters and the stock flippers think at the end of the day.
Its not just about benefit costs. If you don't want to give benefits, then there is no need to so its not really a major factor imo.

The real big (hidden) cost I've seen in the potential legal costs. If I hire someone directly and fire them for whatever reason then they can come back and sue me. There are tons of employment related laws out there, its crazy. Minimum wage, working conditions, sexual harassment blah blah blah the list never ends.

If you outsource your labor these legal costs pretty much vanish. Very rarely will an outsourcer sue you. Simply due to the difficulty of suing across borders. Hell if you ask me, I'd say don't ever hire domestic labor, too risky.

Americans have spent so much time lobbying for employment protections that they've made themselves basically unemployable. The potential legal costs are too high.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Its not just about benefit costs. If you don't want to give benefits, then there is no need to so its not really a major factor imo.

The real big (hidden) cost I've seen in the potential legal costs. If I hire someone directly and fire them for whatever reason then they can come back and sue me. There are tons of employment related laws out there, its crazy. Minimum wage, working conditions, sexual harassment blah blah blah the list never ends.

If you outsource your labor these legal costs pretty much vanish. Very rarely will an outsourcer sue you. Simply due to the difficulty of suing across borders. Hell if you ask me, I'd say don't ever hire domestic labor, too risky.

Americans have spent so much time lobbying for employment protections that they've made themselves basically unemployable. The potential legal costs are too high.
I disagree. Lots of large companies have policies on benefits. It would be pretty difficult to all of a sudden pick out a group of employees and tell them they won't be getting benefits. And by the way, other similar groups will still be getting them.

That coupled with salary savings (if this is going offshore) are the main reason I see this. It really doesn't have much to do with legal costs.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
While I agree with most, as it's the lower labor costs overseas, there is also a lack of creative technical people here, forcing Microsoft to bring in a large percentage of their employees from other countries. We live in an area that is popular with MS employees and many came here from India to accept positions there, others from various european countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment