Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 02:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You do realize that most employers will not hire people out of state, unless it's for a high end, director/executive type job, right? They have thousands of out work people in their own state who are applying. They have no reason to recruit someone from another state if they don't have exceptional experience.

Other countries are even harder. Most countries have immigration laws, where they will only accept people who fall under a "Special Skills" category that would benefit their own economy in some way. England or France for example, will not hire any random American to go work as an Office Assistant, or some other lower end job. Not to mention, they require having legal authorization to work in the country. So unless you are working for a company that will sponsor your work visa, working in a foreign country is very very hard.
Exactly, I never heard of someone traveling across the country for a low paying job.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I make almost 100k a year and my job is not very demanding, I could probably make more if I wanted to make ceritan sacrafices but im ok. I just sympathise with thoes that are out of work. The benifits of engineering is I might make slightly less but the amount I have to "work" is much less than someone in the field, so its a trade off. I take extended lunch breaks to go fly.

All I am saying is now a days young people are very much so walking a tighter skinnier rope, and even if they can stay balanced on it, its getting so thin it is just colapsing for alot of people. Back in the day people coudl do what you did and some of you left in thoes positions are being allowed to retire but the next generation of hires are taking pay cuts with lower benifits, if they can even get in to sweet positions at all. Hopefully your kids that just got through college are extrodianrily lucky and you can write all this bad economy stuff off as hype and sleep well. My grandfather did what you did and did very well for himself .... back in the day. I see the tail end of people like you in the oil fields and what you have is far and few between these days so dont get too cocky.
I floated a resume in 2009 on Monster.com just to see what would happen. I wasn't looking for a job. I was just curious. It was about a week later that I received a phone call and two e-mails for job interviews, all of them from out of state.

Secondly, I have a second career which I exercised for 9 years while working full time in power generation. I also have a concentration in waste-to-energy within power generation. I like what I do. I do it as best as possible and I have a diverse set of working skills that could lead to various types of careers. Bottom line is. . .I'm not too worried. There is nothing more assuring than knowing where you stand and knowing what you are capable of bringing to the table.

Last edited by chacho_keva; 08-17-2011 at 11:05 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You do realize that most employers will not hire people out of state, unless it's for a high end, director/executive type job, right? They have thousands of out work people in their own state who are applying. They have no reason to recruit someone from another state if they don't have exceptional experience.

Other countries are even harder. Most countries have immigration laws, where they will only accept people who fall under a "Special Skills" category that would benefit their own economy in some way. England or France for example, will not hire any random American to go work as an Office Assistant, or some other lower end job. Not to mention, they require having legal authorization to work in the country. So unless you are working for a company that will sponsor your work visa, working in a foreign country is very very hard.
Very very hard does not mean it's impossible.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:30 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Very very hard does not mean it's impossible.
The state lottery commission says the same thing.

How many lottery drawings have you won lately (or do you play at all)?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:35 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
My 41 year old son moved back in well on his way to bankruptcy. We got through that and clawed our way back up. Now the money he provides makes the difference between getting by and living well. We just bought him a condo so he can be on his own part of the time. I would never turn away a blood relative who shows up at my door.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Exactly, I never heard of someone traveling across the country for a low paying job.
How about illegals, or even legal immigrants? Since there are so many of them still flooding this country for low wage jobs, they effect the wages and even living standards of those around them. In Mexico, it is very common for many family members to inhabit a single home. America has been changing because of this, and we are resembling Mexico. As long as cheap labor is in abundence, they will drag wages down and change the way we live, because they are taking jobs for less pay, and the only thing many American's can do is compete for less.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
My 41 year old son moved back in well on his way to bankruptcy. We got through that and clawed our way back up. Now the money he provides makes the difference between getting by and living well. We just bought him a condo so he can be on his own part of the time. I would never turn away a blood relative who shows up at my door.

Agreed!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
must be nice to have parents who can buy you a condo...

Old 08-17-2011, 09:22 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrunner View Post
One of the problems with moving is the jobs will say local candidates only. And in order to move without a job you need sufficient savings, which are hard to get when student loans are due and a lot of starting salaries are lower.

I have considered it, but a lot of the places I have been looking only have Management level or higher openings. You mostly need to know someone to get in at entry level.

Luckily I have a job now, but I live at home with my parents. I commute 2 hours each way, and am trying to save up to move closer. But any safe areas that are closer, I would be spending around $1k/month with a roommate or 2.
I am no technical genius, and Wired magazine is not on my subscription list. But virtual phone numbers and virtual addresses are going mainstream, so the local address restriction (which is real, from what I read) does not have to be a deal killer. Google phone will let you register a phone number in virtually any area code, from what I understand. Also, there are mail services (?mailboxes dot com?) who offer a street address for use as your mailing address. The more expensive ones (google 'mail forwarding') will forward your mail.

Granted, I don't know the nuts and bolts of how these thangs work, but it appears to me that technology has advanced to the point where it is possible to hide an out of town address.

So, target an area by the numbers. Skill sets frequently cluster geographically (e.g., NYC being a center of competency for finance; Elkhart, Indiana being another for RV manufacture; Washington, DC being one for non profits). Find out where the jobz are, target several companies in that area and research them aggressively. Google their managers' speeches, and call up and talk to those folks. You'll sense it after a couple of conversations if that thread is worth pursuing.

Beware - DC is notoriously expensive. So if things sound promising and you plan on a trip there, do it in mild weather, stay in a campground 50 miles away from the city on the Virginia side, sleep in your car, shower in the campground showers, and plan ALL of your interviews at non peak traffic times. Without the campground or friend's couch option, your cash safety cushion will disappear pronto!

Best wishes to you!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
I am no technical genius, and Wired magazine is not on my subscription list. But virtual phone numbers and virtual addresses are going mainstream, so the local address restriction (which is real, from what I read) does not have to be a deal killer. Google phone will let you register a phone number in virtually any area code, from what I understand. Also, there are mail services (?mailboxes dot com?) who offer a street address for use as your mailing address. The more expensive ones (google 'mail forwarding') will forward your mail.

Granted, I don't know the nuts and bolts of how these thangs work, but it appears to me that technology has advanced to the point where it is possible to hide an out of town address.

So, target an area by the numbers. Skill sets frequently cluster geographically (e.g., NYC being a center of competency for finance; Elkhart, Indiana being another for RV manufacture; Washington, DC being one for non profits). Find out where the jobz are, target several companies in that area and research them aggressively. Google their managers' speeches, and call up and talk to those folks. You'll sense it after a couple of conversations if that thread is worth pursuing.

Beware - DC is notoriously expensive. So if things sound promising and you plan on a trip there, do it in mild weather, stay in a campground 50 miles away from the city on the Virginia side, sleep in your car, shower in the campground showers, and plan ALL of your interviews at non peak traffic times. Without the campground or friend's couch option, your cash safety cushion will disappear pronto!

Best wishes to you!
Oh snap, I did not know you could register a phone number like that. I always knew about PO boxes and I think you can forward mail through a PO box but they may not accept a PO box, not sure how you could get a street address unless it was a mail boxes etc street address.

Look at north dakota, they are having a massive oil boom, I heard you can get land cheap there and put up a moduler home after you land a job there, if you got a job you could start in the summer to secure some land and buy a skid mounted house (not a trailer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment