Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:57 PM

331 posts, read 956,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Actually we should be encouraging people to have more children. More demand for services. What to do to get those who are working longer than expected? Of course some of the young old have given up looking for work and decided to retire.
Ummm, no. On second thought, if I have two children and can't pay my bills now, maybe I should have five more and then those five children will create a job for me!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:26 PM

28 posts, read 124,301 times
I graduated college last year. I had to move back in with my parents because I couldn't find a job until months after graduation and that job is a low-paying retail job. Half of the people I graduated with still live at home with their parents, while the other half were able to either go back to school to get their Masters or they found jobs elsewhere and relocated. Every single one of the people I know that still live with their parents, myself included, have been trying our hardest to find jobs that pay enough for us to be financially independent from our parents, but to no avail thus far. It sucks.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:39 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I know a lot of people who graduated college and are in retail. It's horrible.
So do I. I know just as many who aren't working minimum wage jobs, but they aren't working in their respective fields either. Few of them can afford to live outside of home. I couldn't either, if it weren't for my parents' generosity. I'm paying for most things myself, but I'd really like to become independent and stop taking their money, because I'm an adult now. But of course, you need a job for that. A real job.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:40 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Italy has a similar situation. Something like 90% of people up to age 30 live at home.

They reecntly did a study on it. A big part is a bad economy but another thing is just the culture. I don't think they have this your a loser if you live at home past 21 attitude that we sort of have even though a huge number of people do it.

Also people tend to be closer to their families, property is more expensive, kind of a lot of factors go into this but they aslo have part of the same reason a lot of our young people live at home so long. Your parents have a nicer house, nicer tv, nicer things, better food. If you can live with them and take advantage of all that plus you have less expenses so you can go party, get every new gadget that comes out, etc it's a pretty good deal lol.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,920 times
I don't see what the problem or the stigma is. I PLAN to live with my mom after I graduate. Why? So I can save money and help her pay some bills. Plus it saves a lot of money.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:35 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,807 times
People put their heads in the sand. Most job growth has been low wage service work. Think cashier home health aid fast food ect. BLS reports show 7 out of 10 jobs will be low wage service jobs. We have 15 to 25 million underemployed. Another 15 million unemployed. With at least one million grads pump out every year. So they have nowhere to go so theyat stay at Kmart at 20 hours at week. Just because you have a job means nothing. I am a 10 dollar an hour temp at 24 hours a week. One should point out a small detail. I got this after working after working as a unpaid intern for 9 months. My cousin a biomedical engineering grad works two part time lab jobs. His big rate of pay is 8 bucks an hour. BTW the way he is worried one job will be cut. He has been looking well over a year. Technology as was pointed means less need for workers. It also makes it easier to ship more jobs overseas. Add population growth to the mix and 27 worker visas . The fact that most can not afford to retire. Most kids should start planning on spending some years at home. The growth of college loan debt. The growth of part time and temp unpaid interns freelance jobs ect. My temp job does not support me enough to live. Their is a reason 85% of new college grads are back home. It is not for free cable. There are fewer and fewer living wage jobs. Have no fear millions more college grads will be getting out in 2012. The largest college class ever started in 2008 at over 2.8 million. So I am sure they will have no issue finding work.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:08 PM

22 posts, read 65,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I don't see what the problem or the stigma is. I PLAN to live with my mom after I graduate. Why? So I can save money and help her pay some bills. Plus it saves a lot of money.
I think this is a great option if you have it. If I accepted a position close to home I would do the same exact thing.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:13 PM

331 posts, read 956,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
People put their heads in the sand. Most job growth has been low wage service work. Think cashier home health aid fast food ect. BLS reports show 7 out of 10 jobs will be low wage service jobs. We have 15 to 25 million underemployed. Another 15 million unemployed. With at least one million grads pump out every year. So they have nowhere to go so theyat stay at Kmart at 20 hours at week. Just because you have a job means nothing. I am a 10 dollar an hour temp at 24 hours a week. One should point out a small detail. I got this after working after working as a unpaid intern for 9 months. My cousin a biomedical engineering grad works two part time lab jobs. His big rate of pay is 8 bucks an hour. BTW the way he is worried one job will be cut. He has been looking well over a year. Technology as was pointed means less need for workers. It also makes it easier to ship more jobs overseas. Add population growth to the mix and 27 worker visas . The fact that most can not afford to retire. Most kids should start planning on spending some years at home. The growth of college loan debt. The growth of part time and temp unpaid interns freelance jobs ect. My temp job does not support me enough to live. Their is a reason 85% of new college grads are back home. It is not for free cable. There are fewer and fewer living wage jobs. Have no fear millions more college grads will be getting out in 2012. The largest college class ever started in 2008 at over 2.8 million. So I am sure they will have no issue finding work.
Very well said.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:19 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Well put. This is the sad reality.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:35 PM

28 posts, read 91,463 times
It's one thing for adult children to be living at home because they really can't find a high enough paying job to live on their own. But it's another to be living with your parents and simply mooching off of them.

I know people who fit in both categories. There are college graduates who are currently working in retail, as waiters, etc. while doing non-paid internships trying to land something better so they can move out.

Then there are those who graduated from college and are leeching off their parents while spending most of their free time hanging out with friends, playing video games, and spending time on Facebook, etc.

These are usually the same people who wouldn't take any job they can get. Somehow they feel taking a minmum wage job is beneath them when they have no source of income.

The person the judge ordered to get out and find a job seems to fit the second category.

Of course there are also adults with good jobs that can afford to move out on their own but chose to still live with thier parents. This may seem strange to most Americans but apparently it is normal in other cultures like in a lot of Asian countries where many children don't move out until they are married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment